Xena: Warrior Princess

Adventures in the Sin Trade (1)

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 28, 1998 on

• Alti and the Amazons...

Xena journeys to a different land to find the spirit of Gabrielle. In a trance, she discovers Cyane and a race of Amazons in the Land of the Dead who are unable to cross over into eternity. Xena has an epiphany; instead of finding Gabrielle, she sets out to free the Amazons.

The opening music is fantastic and the feeling is, this episode is going to be different. It was a great idea to introduce the fact that not every soul goes to either Tartarus or the Elysian Fields. If they chose to worship different Gods that those of Mt. Olympus then it seems fitting their souls should be elsewhere.

The storyline fills in the gap between Xena and Borias' experience in Chin and the battle with Centaurs, their last together. Also, it explains her involvement with Alti and how the Amazons knew of Xena.

After all this time, Xena finally gets a costume change and it's not just her in her skivvies. I loved her new outfit, especially the headdress with antlers and the beading surrounding her face and forehead made her look very beautiful.

The Amazons of this land are of a different breed or line. They are not the scantily clad forest dwellers of Greece. Their attire of choice is a fur-enrobed ensemble designed to endure the harsh land and severe weather conditions. Although, I loved both races of Amazons and any episodes with their appearances, this particular group appealed to me more as they seemed darker and more savage.