Pet Peeves/Inconsistencies about the series!

  • Avatar of Booncy

    Booncy

    [1]Dec 18, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 651

    Here are mine:

    - The fact that after the season 2 premiere "Orphan of War" and on almost all of the little history we learned about Xena's past in season 1 is never mentioned again in her timeline as Evil Xena.

    - The fact that there are important men mentioned (and seen) from Evil Xena's past who we don't exactly know  where to place into the timeline: (i.e.: Marcus - HER TRUE SOULMATE (screw the idea of that being Gabrielle), Draco, Petricles, etc.)

    - The fact that we have these random guest stars who were also a part of Evil Xena's past later on in the series, but it's still questionable where she met them in her past (i.e: Tala from "Animal Attraction", that warlord (I forget his name?) "Little Problems")

    - The 4th season premiere, period! Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parter dedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SuperSaiyanTien

    SuperSaiyanTien

    [2]Dec 18, 2006
    • member since: 08/01/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,511

    As i've said before...

    The real season 3 ending should have been one that I fan made (I fan made 2 episodes of Xena) Which were "Long live the Queen" which had Xena riding with Ares after what Gabrielle did.

    Then the Season 4 opener should have been Sacrifice.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ravensclaw23

    ravensclaw23

    [3]Dec 19, 2006
    • member since: 12/14/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 14
    I totally agree with you about the fourth season premiere. What were they thinking? I was so pissed - who cared about these stupid amazons? Where the heck was Gabrielle???? :-) Other than that, I remember being mildly annoyed whenever an actor turned up in different roles on the series again and again and again. I guess they were just reusing the available New Zealand actors, but sometimes it was distracting: 'where the heck have I seen that guy before ... oh yeah, two episodes ago playing someone else'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LucyLaw

    LucyLaw

    [4]Dec 23, 2006
    • member since: 10/22/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 198

    yeah that was one thing that was a lil werid was havign all these reapperarign actors from diff episodes playing two diff characters

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gabfan31

    gabfan31

    [5]Dec 26, 2006
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 1,218
    Here's a pet peeve of mine- when Eve was introduced to the Amazons as an adut, there was NEVER any mention of the fact that she was adopted into the Amazon Nation and that she had been given Gabrielle's right of caste!  I understand that the whole right of caste business from "Lifeblood" was so that they would have a tie-in for the "Amazon High" footage they were recycling, but still, once they chose to make Eve an Amazon they should have brought it up when she was on trial for her life in "Coming Home" or "The Path of Vengeance", if only with Gabrielle and Xena. The fact that she betrayed the Amazons rises to a whole new level when the fact that she was an Amazon is taken into account!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of p4poetic

    p4poetic

    [6]Dec 27, 2006
    • member since: 08/26/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 684
    Booncy wrote:

    Here are mine:

    - The fact that after the season 2 premiere "Orphan of War" and on almost all of the little history we learned about Xena's past in season 1 is never mentioned again in her timeline as Evil Xena.

    - The fact that there are important men mentioned (and seen) from Evil Xena's past who we don't exactly know where to place into the timeline: (i.e.: Marcus - HER TRUE SOULMATE (screw the idea of that being Gabrielle), Draco, Petricles, etc.)

    - The fact that we have these random guest stars who were also a part of Evil Xena's past later on in the series, but it's still questionable where she met them in her past (i.e: Tala from "Animal Attraction", that warlord (I forget his name?) "Little Problems")

    - The 4th season premiere, period! Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parter dedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4.



    1. Not neccesarily although I do see your point. Perhaps the very tiny tiny details, but a lot of them we're still carried over - even til the last season. For example, in Hooves and Harlots Xena mentions Tildus, the centaurs, the battle of Corinth, refers to herself as not an Amazon in ways that still ring true in later episodes like Adventures in the Sin Trade, Past Imperfect, The Way, etc.

    2. Petracles, logically, should of been in Remember Nothing as opposed to some new guy they introduced as young Xena's fiance. It would of made a lot more sense and I personally liked Petracles a lot better and beleivable. As for Marcus, I have no idea. Never really thought about him since I find him quite boring. Speaking of RN, I really wish they had included Toris, Xena's older brother, in it aswell...even if just for the beginning or something.

    3. I pretty much disregard all that crap. lol I hated what they did to Xena's wonderful backstory post-s5 Chakram. Instead of introducing new characters and plots, why not continue to develop the events we already know about? As if evil Xena's timeline isnt crowded enough, why add more? Like you mentioned, all those little tidbits in season one and even in two and theree, that we're never spoken of again. Chakram would of been an even more awesome episode had it been a two parter: the first part being what we got, and the second one a flashback of Evil Xena continuing from what was last Past Imperfect detailing how Xena first Ares and him stealing the dark Chakram for her. That would of been perfect. On top of that, this would give Lucy Lawless the oppurtunity to conceal her pregnant belly for her EX costume covered much of her body. I also think this would be done better as entirely flashback (no scenes of 'present' day) not only for Lucy's pregnancy but that would just be cool for one episode.

    After Chakram, chronoglocially what would come next is the Hercules trilogy that came before Sins of the Past. Am I the only one who would of LOVED to see X:WP do it over, and more accurately this time? (For example, she says she has 3 brothers, but since X:WP has only 2). Okay, part of me just wants to see Lucy Lawless in that costume again But seriously...that would rock so much. Another thing about missing links in pre-season four I'd like to mention was Xena's relationship with Boddicea. If they ever decided to make another flashback episode, it shouldnt have been the pointless Norse trilogy, Last of the Centaurs or A Friend in Need of season 6. Again, why not indulge in something we have some prior knowledge about?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gabfan31

    gabfan31

    [8]Jan 3, 2007
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 100
    • rank: Master of the Universe
    • posts: 1,218
    I didn't mean I thought she was an idiot, I meant that she was supposed to fill the role of the inexperienced adventurer that Gabrielle could no longer believably fill. Amarice wasn't my favorite, but she had a definite place on the show, and it was too bad that she couldn't come back. But as a fan of Cleopatra 2525 (heck, I'm the editor of the show at tv.com!) I was glad to see her stretch her wings.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of p4poetic

    p4poetic

    [9]Jan 7, 2007
    • member since: 08/26/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 684
    I liked her too. She would of made the rest of season 5 somewhat more tolerable. Not by much, but give us some comic relief (hey, Joxer cant do everything).
    Edited on 01/31/2007 10:58am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BroadwayPhil

    BroadwayPhil

    [10]Jan 27, 2007
    • member since: 01/21/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 90

    The point about Eve being an Amazon is an excellent one, and one I had missed.  Of course she was not aware of it when she became Livia, and Marga's tribe was under some pressure: nobody was about to go looking into 25-year old records after Xena and Gabrielle showed up; later they have to deal with the events from "Dangerous Prey."  Still, another missed opportunity.

    I had completed half of a fan fiction piece entitled "A Family Affair: Prologue" which would have accounted for Gabrielle's escape from the pit, her amnesia, her return to Poteidaia and Hope's activities besides.  Alas, I lost the disk I saved it on (at the time I did not own a computer) and it was a long time before I found my hard copies.  I plan on finishing it eventually.

    This constant re-invention of Xena's past ("Destiny," "Adventures in the Sin Trade," the Norse episodes, "A Friend in Need") was indeed irritating.  And they never explored Xena's past with Draco, which was only hinted at.

    As for Amarice, after I got over my initial distaste for her, I decided she was one of the post-"Way" elements worth keeping in my main story line, so I altered her past a little and threw her in with the young Amazons of Ephiny's tribe, which include my Amazon mischief-makers, Lysis and Coronis.  (I'm afraid most of that will have to wait until I can complete "The Trouble With Amazons" and "Where Amazons Go, Trouble Follows," not to mention "A Matter of Amazon Honor."  I have made those two the Amazons who stepped aside to let the Gabdrag pass.)

    One of my pet peeves deals with Gabrielle and Poteidaia.  Some people may be surprised to learn that Poteidaia figured twice in history.  The first time, the Poteidaians held off a Persian siege following the battle of Salamis (details in Herodotus); they would later send a contingent to Plataea.  The second time, the Peloponnesian war was kicked off when Athens made unreasonable demands of Poteidaia, a member of their league but retaining ties to Corinth.

    Why was Poteidaia so important?  It was a seaport!  Imagine the teasing Xena could have given Gabrielle over the fact that she comes from a port town but never took a ride on a boat and gets seasick!  (I do this in my story "Payback Time.")  Also, it was named for Poseidon (this comes from The Greek Myths by Robert Graves) and had a prominent temple to him that the Persians later descecrated (see Herodotus).  This might have been used in "Lost Mariner."  Poseidon was also the god of horses, and we know what trouble Gabby had with them at first.  It did have walls ("The Prodigal") on two sides, the other two sides bounded by the sea (the peninsula where Poteidaia is located is only a mile wide) but the stock shot used for the town -- it appears in other episodes to depict other places -- is all wrong: Poteidaia is as flat as Nebraska, not nestled in hills.  I've seen contemporary pictures.  Oh, well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PH03N1XFlames

    PH03N1XFlames

    [12]Feb 25, 2007
    • member since: 11/15/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 251
    Booncy wrote:

    - The 4th season premiere, period! Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parter dedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4.

    I disagree with you. No, they couldn't have fit Adventures in the Sin Trade anywhere else. The reason why it was important was to help Xena's search of Gabrielle and how to bring her back. Obviously along the way she gets sidetracked with the Northern Amazons and gets a little caught up in her past. But, the other huge part of Adventures in the Sin Trade was her receiving a prophecy of her and Gabrielle's death thus leading her to know Gabrielle survived. Not to mention this random vision of them throughout season 4 of them getting crucified would have made no sense. I thought it was done well and fit fine in the series. Think about it if they did A Family Affair first, it would have screwed up the timeline of the episodes.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaphEmer

    RaphEmer

    [13]Apr 6, 2007
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 31
    My biggest peeve with Xena was the resolution to the whole Dahak storyline.

    We go through the better part of a full season, hearing about this character, watching Xena & Gabrielle fight this character...not to mention everything the two of them go through, largely because of Dahak.

    Then, suddenly, Dahak goes *blip* from Xena and ends up buying the farm on Hercules! After all Xena & Gabrielle went through, I felt that they had earned the right to be the ones to finally destroy Dahak.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rosiegal23

    rosiegal23

    [15]Apr 20, 2007
    • member since: 04/19/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 38

    Not only does Gabrielle's weapons magically getting back to her annoy me,  but the fact that her fighting skills vary week to week!  On one episode she can kick butt and rescue Xena when she needs to, and the next episode she is easily captured and held as bait.  I think that it occurs all throughout the serires, but especially in early season five.  Still, I love the show and the character.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alias_rox

    alias_rox

    [16]Jun 11, 2007
    • member since: 05/16/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 218
    The 4th season premiere, period! Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parter dedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4.

    [/QUOTE]

    no they couldn't have placed adventures in the sin trade in a different spot, because it was about finding out that gabriel was alive still, so they were actually quite important
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SuperSaiyanTien

    SuperSaiyanTien

    [17]Jun 19, 2007
    • member since: 08/01/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,511
    They could have moved "Sins of the past" at the end of the season, and it would be like the fates were showing you HOW Xena got gabby back. (They could have aired it after: "De Ja Vu all over again")
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pendragon46

    pendragon46

    [18]Jul 10, 2007
    • member since: 07/10/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 1
    Booncy wrote:
    Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parterdedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4
    You can be forgiven for that attitude if you were only 10 years old, it obviously did not dawn on you that the Adventures.... episode is all about how Xena went to the land of the dead to search for Gabrielle, which therefore logically follows Sacrifice II. They had to show that Gabrielle was in fact still alive before they could resume the Dahak saga. Besides which, in my opinion any episode featuring Claire Stansfield is a good one. You have to have met her (which I have three times) to appreciate what a great actor she is, as well as being a fun person.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alias_rox

    alias_rox

    [19]Jul 10, 2007
    • member since: 05/16/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 218
    SuperSaiyanTien wrote:

    As i've said before...

    The real season 3 ending should have been one that I fan made (I fan made 2 episodes of Xena) Which were "Long live the Queen" which had Xena riding with Ares after what Gabrielle did.

    Then the Season 4 opener should have been Sacrifice.



    when did you fan make these eps and can you share them my way?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alias_rox

    alias_rox

    [20]Jul 10, 2007
    • member since: 05/16/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 218
    SuperSaiyanTien wrote:

    As i've said before...

    The real season 3 ending should have been one that I fan made (I fan made 2 episodes of Xena) Which were "Long live the Queen" which had Xena riding with Ares after what Gabrielle did.

    Then the Season 4 opener should have been Sacrifice.



    when did you fan make these eps and can you share them my way?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.