Pet Peeves/Inconsistencies about the series!

breezy2281

[41]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 19
    harryathouse wrote:

The fact that Tauros is never metioned until "Old Ares Had A Farm", when Xena said that her and her two brothers used to gather around the fire. He isn't even mentioned whenever Xena talks about Lyceus! In "The Haunting Of Amphipolis", Xena sees a vision of when Lyceus was killed. Cyrene says "He was the only thing I had" and then slaps Xena. What about Tauros? A character who is this closely related to a main character of a show can't be this overlooked, surely.

Another thing is how much they used the same actors for different characters! For example, the man in "Callisto", Melas, who lost his son was played by Ian Hughes. He also played Mac in "Send In The Clones" and Diomedes in "The Black Wolf". So that's three characters in all and still it's too much! This happened alot throughout the series, and it was a very big inconsistoncy that bugged me a lot throughout the show's run.

Taurus isn't mentioned much after Death Mask and that bothered me and you're right, he's not even mentioned when Lyceus is spoken about. as far as the characters actors playing more that one character, i'm noticing it more and more every time i re-watch the series. for example Ceasar, also plays cupid...like we wouldn't pick up on that, especially with the characters being complete opposites. one loves war and conquest, the other is...Cupid. also the barbarian from The Quill is Mightier plays in Fins Femmes and Gems. Michael i think plays a few different parts. and i think queen Melosa from Hooves and Harlots was the one that played in Animal Attraction or whatever. There's quite a bit of it, but...the show is still fantastic so who cares lol

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SuperSaiyanTien

[42]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 13
    breezy2281 wrote:
    Booncy wrote:

Here are mine:

- The fact that after the season 2 premiere "Orphan of War" and on almost all of the little history we learned about Xena's past in season 1 is never mentioned again in her timeline as Evil Xena.

- The fact that there are important men mentioned (and seen) from Evil Xena's past who we don't exactly know where to place into the timeline: (i.e.: Marcus - HER TRUE SOULMATE (screw the idea of that being Gabrielle), Draco, Petricles, etc.)

- The fact that we have these random guest stars who were also a part of Evil Xena's past later on in the series, but it's still questionable where she met them in her past (i.e: Tala from "Animal Attraction", that warlord (I forget his name?) "Little Problems")

- The 4th season premiere, period! Am I the only one who thought it was totally inappropiate to have the season premiere be a 2-parter dedicated to an important part in Evil Xena's past, when the viewers were still on the edge of their seats from the season 3 finale? Seriously I remember when I was 10 years old I was literally counting down the weeks until the season premiere after "Sacrifice" only to be disappointed to have to wait another 2 weeks after the premiere to see the conclusion of the whole Dahak saga. They could've fit "Adventures In The Sin Trade" in another place in season 4.

i do agree with that, Adventures in the Sin trade could have been put somewhere after we found out what happened to gabrielle

Well Marcus and Draco were from her Warlord days, which we know took place within the 10 years that she left Amphipolis...

I'd place her meeting Marcus right before Ceasar broke her legs (when she was first gathering a following) and I'd say she must have met Draco a few months before she went after Hercules and Iolus, because it makes sense...she hadn't been in Greece since her leaving Amphipolis for the first time (since she first started her journey) so it only makes sense that she rode with him for a few months starting a new army up (since she lost her old one/Borias' army) then left him with half the Army, and went after Hercules.

But it's purely speculation...but sounds about right.

breezy2281

[43]Mar 1, 2009
    yeah...but borias was killed anyway

alti_fan

[44]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 6
    It always annoyed me with Alti. She was supposed to be dead or banished whatever in Them Bones, Them Bones, yet here she is in the future on Earth (SITC)...

It always annoyed me how they always misplaced their weapons, then magically had them back at the end of the episode. The Eve/Amazon thing frustrated me more than anything..You would think Gabrielle of all people would have picked up on it.

Why were characters like Minya, Autolycus, Salmonious dropped in Season 5? Gabrielle had all those indian tatoos on her, yet in Season 5 after she is ressurected she doesn't have them....

poisoneyes

[45]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 11
    alti_fan wrote:
    It always annoyed me with Alti. She was supposed to be dead or banished whatever in Them Bones, Them Bones, yet here she is in the future on Earth (SITC)...

It always annoyed me how they always misplaced their weapons, then magically had them back at the end of the episode. The Eve/Amazon thing frustrated me more than anything..You would think Gabrielle of all people would have picked up on it.

Why were characters like Minya, Autolycus, Salmonious dropped in Season 5? Gabrielle had all those indian tatoos on her, yet in Season 5 after she is ressurected she doesn't have them....

Well, If you remember in S4 Between The Lines, Naiyima (the woman who sent Xena and Gabrielle to the future) gave them the power of the Mehndi, which was the "tattoo" you saw on Gabrielle and Xena. That was made out of henna ink, which stains the skin, but it is not permanent. She also told Xena that she destroyed Alti when her power was the greatest, and also told her, that Alti's soul would never die, and always find a way to come back.... So hopefully that clears a little up for ya!

Now with the weapons, I think we just have to take that as "we didn't see them retrieve the weapons after the fight/battle"

SuperSaiyanTien

[46]Mar 3, 2009
    alti_fan wrote:

Well Salmonious, Minya, and Autolycus were obviously dead.

I mean Salmonious was obviously old (by his grey hair I place him that he was atleast midfifties) and Minya was in her upper fourties, because she was already married and she owned alot of property, which would make sense.

Then you have Autolycus who had to be in his mid-thirties, so if you age them all twenty-five years, only Autolycus would be alive..but even then that's a stretch since getting to fourty would be an amazing feat back then (history wise)

alti_fan

[47]Mar 7, 2009
    But the timetravel didnt happen until the last 3 episodes of Season 5...so theres 19 episodes and they couldnt give them a good exit?

breezy2281

[48]Mar 25, 2009
    this is what bugs me...in The Dirty Half Dozen xena's sword was cut in half. However, in the next episode it was fine. also, in Between the Lines, Alti breaks Gabrielle's staff in half, but in the next episode it is fine...however it didn't much matter since she found Eli's path of love and chucked it in the water anyway

SuperSaiyanTien

[49]Mar 26, 2009
    breezy2281 wrote:
    this is what bugs me...in The Dirty Half Dozen xena's sword was cut in half. However, in the next episode it was fine. also, in Between the Lines, Alti breaks Gabrielle's staff in half, but in the next episode it is fine...however it didn't much matter since she found Eli's path of love and chucked it in the water anyway

Which was quite messed up of her, considering it had belonged to Emphiny's deceased mother...

alti_fan

[50]Apr 26, 2009
    It was from Hercules..But strongly relates to Xena. In Armageddon Now, it is shown that Callisto burnt her parents alive, revealing that in that timeline, Callisto killed her parents. Although this is at the same time as Xena attacked the village...Surely Callisto (child) would have realised that it wasn't actually Xena that killed her parents? (Or did she later realise it was herself from the future, and hater herself? for it?

alti_fan

[51]Apr 26, 2009
    Some others:
    -Ares being scared of Eli in Chakram- Seeds of Faith proved Eli had no power over him
    -Velasca not coming back from the pit when Callisto did (they were pretty close together, meaning if Callisto came out, so should have Velasca- Also, how was it that a ball could break the rock, yet a god couldn't?
    -How did Hope know about Callisto?

Invisibleman55

[52]May 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    I'm just watching "A Friend in Need" again and I don't understand that after Xena's been killed and returns as a spirit, she can hug Gabrielle and catch the bracelet but not pick up the chakram. Also, why did they have the samurai played by an actor with a totally inauthentic accent?

seto1

[53]May 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    Im guessing xena's desire to embrace gabrielle was strong enough to help her manifest or maybe it was a mistake.

harryathouse

[54]May 11, 2009
    • level: 18
    The way Gabrielle just killed that boy in Legacy. I like the way they foreshadowed it with Gabrielle asking Xena about questioning her motives and trusting her instinct, but it was very unlike her. She would usually disarm and let Xena put the pinch on or something.

Invisibleman55

[55]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    At the end of "Key to the Kingdom", Meg said that she couldn't have children. So where did Virgil come from?

CharmedXenaGirl

[56]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 5
    Booncy wrote:
    I just thought up another pet peeve of mine about this series: Gabby's weapons.

Anyone ever notice that after Gabrielle loses her weapons in a fight she always gets them back. I mean how many times did she constantly lose her stick (not counting "The Way") throughout seasons 1-4 then mysteriously get it back. One particular moment that strikes out in my mind is the episode "Between The Lines" where Alti breaks Gabrielle's stick in half, yet at the end of the episode Gabrielle has it back in tact. The same goes for her sais in seasons 5-6. How many times did she throw it at many things (or enemies) at a far distance, then mysteriously get it back by the end of (or the next) the episode.

Lol,I just recently noticed that re-watching it the series again.
    I tried to pretend that she'd leave them w/ the amazons,but most times that wasn't even logical,other times,she'd leave them somewhere.

I just thought of Xena's Weapons,she had to lose that Chakram at least 20 times during the course of the series,several times,it would hit something and be destroyed,but the next episode it would be on her belt or in her hand.I know she got at least 2 different chakrams,but she lost both alot!And her sword has been damanged before,in half,lost and yet it's never shown being repaired, and it always looks like it did before it got damanged!

alti_fan

[57]May 2, 2010

A few more I have:

-How was it that there just happened to be four people in Greece who looked exactly the same?- 4 Xenas
    -Ephiny knew almost instantly that Xena noticed that Boris's son looked just like his father- Spirits aren't that good, especially when they don't know what Boris looks like?
    -In "The Prodigal" Gabrielle could have just as easily moved out of the way of the rolling wagon instead of just making it dramatic and make out she couldn't pass it xD
    -Ephiny goes from being the rude and arrogant Amazon to a loving friend in the next episode she is in? Don't think so...
    -They write in Greek, yet they speak in English xD
    -The staff given to Gabrielle from Ephiny had all of these extra things on it, yet next episode its just the furry thing at the top.
    -Even though Grinhilda's child was born a beast, wouldn't she be slightly angry at the very least that Xena killed her child?
    -The flips Xena did in Lost Mariner and that other ship episode.
    -When Callisto became a God, both her and Velasca drained at the same time, when one would think that she would drain a lot easier than the then stronger Velasca.
    -A Xena about to give birth able to fight off the baddies...Come on now.

alti_fan

[58]May 2, 2010

breezy2281 wrote:
    harryathouse wrote:

The fact that Tauros is never metioned until "Old Ares Had A Farm", when Xena said that her and her two brothers used to gather around the fire. He isn't even mentioned whenever Xena talks about Lyceus! In "The Haunting Of Amphipolis", Xena sees a vision of when Lyceus was killed. Cyrene says "He was the only thing I had" and then slaps Xena. What about Tauros? A character who is this closely related to a main character of a show can't be this overlooked, surely.

Another thing is how much they used the same actors for different characters! For example, the man in "Callisto", Melas, who lost his son was played by Ian Hughes. He also played Mac in "Send In The Clones" and Diomedes in "The Black Wolf". So that's three characters in all and still it's too much! This happened alot throughout the series, and it was a very big inconsistoncy that bugged me a lot throughout the show's run.

Taurus isn't mentioned much after Death Mask and that bothered me and you're right, he's not even mentioned when Lyceus is spoken about. as far as the characters actors playing more that one character, i'm noticing it more and more every time i re-watch the series. for example Ceasar, also plays cupid...like we wouldn't pick up on that, especially with the characters being complete opposites. one loves war and conquest, the other is...Cupid. also the barbarian from The Quill is Mightier plays in Fins Femmes and Gems. Michael i think plays a few different parts. and i think queen Melosa from Hooves and Harlots was the one that played in Animal Attraction or whatever. There's quite a bit of it, but...the show is still fantastic so who cares lol

That barbarian also played in Hercules as Discord's lacky, which made me just assume that it was the same character altogether.

CharmedXenaGirl

[59]May 2, 2010
    • level: 5
    Invisibleman55 wrote:
    At the end of "Key to the Kingdom", Meg said that she couldn't have children. So where did Virgil come from?

Lol. I just thought of that.
    Well Doctors back then had really no idea about the human body.
    Recently I learned that some surgeons would cut u to releive pain.
    If ur already bleeding,just make a cut.Bleed some more.How messed up is that?!

My bet is that she could have children,but becuz she hadn't any yet,she assumed she couldn't.Remember back then,that if u didn't have a child by the time you were like 20,ur were considered baren.

alti_fan

[60]May 2, 2010
    Thats a really good point CXG. We all know Meg always doubted herself and had no faith in anything, and her saying this just supports the way she felt. And she didnt just have one, but she had like 6 children I think xD

Another thing that annoyed me on the Meg subject was how they never showed her grieving over Joxer or anything like that.