Xena a lesbian?

aznneggroepnoi

[1]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 6
    I give you all permission to flame me as much as you'd like.

To be completely honest, I did not know Xena and Gabrielle were lesbian lovers until I watched the 10th anniversary DVD where the writers of Xena and some of the actors mentioned that there was in fact a whole lesbian aspect to the show. Man was I shocked! Yes, I saw all the kissing and all the naked swims together, but I never thought it was anything more than two really close friends enjoying life wandering through Greece and kicking butt along the way. That's where the whole lesbian thing occurred in my head, but it was just an inkling and not a conclusion. In some ways, it was just a playful fantasy.

Now I know the truth...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BuffyAngeMaxTru

[2]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 8
    aznneggroepnoi wrote:
    I give you all permission to flame me as much as you'd like.

To be completely honest, I did not know Xena and Gabrielle were lesbian lovers until I watched the 10th anniversary DVD where the writers of Xena and some of the actors mentioned that there was in fact a whole lesbian aspect to the show. Man was I shocked! Yes, I saw all the kissing and all the naked swims together, but I never thought it was anything more than two really close friends enjoying life wandering through Greece and kicking butt along the way. That's where the whole lesbian thing occurred in my head, but it was just an inkling and not a conclusion. In some ways, it was just a playful fantasy.

Now I know the truth...

its cool

Bren_thy_God

[3]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 14
    But they aren't. They had become close much like sisters. The lesbianism hinting was just a way to get ratings up more. I think it's just opinion it was meant for everyone to believe what they wanted.

[4]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 1
    Bren thy God is correct I mean in a way Xena liked Ares and Mark Antony before she killed him. Gabrielle loved Perdicus and married him.

Mettie

[5]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 3
    They were best friends. Almost like sisters. Read between the lines all you want; we all have close friends that are like family. So are you saying that Iolaus and Hercules were gay? I loved Xena/Gabrielle's "relationship" gay or not.

p4poetic

[6]Nov 5, 2005
    • level: 9
    Yeah they left it for the viewers to determine if they were lesbians are not. For me personally I never viwed it that way (even with the subtext), but it doesnt really matter anyway.

sgt1093

[7]Nov 5, 2005
    Personally I can't make my mind up,

At first - NO

At the end - ???

There's the whole last 30 seconds, looking in to your eyes and other bits...

I remember reading a interview with Lucy Lawless when she was asked if Xena & Gabbie were lovers, I can't remember every word but I clearly remember what LL meant, LL said:
    "I've always though that they've got this private relationship that's their thing, nothing to do with anyone else, the answer only became (LL used some fancy word that I can't remember so I'll put a un-fancy word that means the same, lol) clear to me when filming the last episode"
    Annoyingly though she didn't give her answer!

I think though if they were lesbian, the fans turned them!
    With the way the lesbian fans took to the show (some lesbian group declared LL their sex symbol) and the way it got the lesbian hype ect...

Oh and on a personal note, if Xena & Gabbie were lesbians, to quote Ares (when Ares asked Xena who the farther is and Xena replied Gabby)

"I'd pay to see that" - lol

hercfan1

[8]Nov 7, 2005
    I just don't see them as lesbians. I always just thought of them as friends.

Shauna05

[9]Nov 7, 2005
    • level: 14
    I personally don't think they were lesbians. They were just really close friends. Perhaps with benefits lol

ISpeakTheTruth

[10]Dec 7, 2005
    • level: 33
    Mettie wrote:
    They were best friends. Almost like sisters. Read between the lines all you want; we all have close friends that are like family. So are you saying that Iolaus and Hercules were gay? I loved Xena/Gabrielle's "relationship" gay or not.

Well Iolaus and Hercules didn't make a habit of kissing each other on the lips. (That I know of) I mean they always call each other soul mates and the entire arch about the Valkyries I mean come on. You'd have to be trying not to see a lesbian relationship not to see it.

[11]Dec 9, 2005
    That though was the only period of time that you could really think they were lesbians was in the 6th season

xena2celine

[12]Dec 9, 2005
    NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant two girls just be best friends anymore????

xena2celine

[13]Dec 9, 2005
    whatever!

ChakramX22

[14]Dec 17, 2005
    Wot the hell. Xena gad two kids, slept with Lolaus, Hercules, Borias do I need go on. They loved eachother like sisters just like Herc loved Lolaus like a brother. It is all spiritual. yeah there were hints but god no! That isn't what their realationship was about.

BuffyAngeMaxTru

[15]Dec 18, 2005
    • level: 8
    well theres signs 4 it all so lets just say tht they were Bi... lol

gedditoffme

[16]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 2
    Get your minds out of the gutter people

I think a lot of people have said they were lesbians (I remember when the show was popular, they were the commentators for the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras), but I honestly just thought of them as friends.

Girls have really screwed up relations, I have seen female friends hug each other in ways which most men would consider gay if done with other guys, but seem ok for women.

hercfan1

[17]Dec 21, 2005
    I agree with you. There is no way they were lesbians

p4poetic

[18]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 9
    Yeah you guys keep being in denial...lol

Seasons 1-5, okay. But Season 6? Subtext became maintext. They were shoving all this Soul Mate bussiness down your throat it became a little annoying lol Which is too bad because I used to think it was cute in S4.

[19]Dec 21, 2005
    I always hated the subtext but in season six it was terrible

Booncy

[20]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 10
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    Mettie wrote:

Well Iolaus and Hercules didn't make a habit of kissing each other on the lips. (That I know of) I mean they always call each other soul mates and the entire arch about the Valkyries I mean come on. You'd have to be trying not to see a lesbian relationship not to see it.

You can't really compare Hercules and Iolaus' friendship to Xena and Gabrielle's because they're men. There's a difference between a friendship between men and one with women. Women are more emotional with each other in a friendship in comparision to men. So therefore I say you interpret Xena and Gabrielle's relationship the way you want (whether they're lovers or friends), but I only see them as really close friends.