Xena: Warrior Princess

Last of the Centaurs

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 2001 on

7.7
  • Gabrielle is visited by the ghost of Ephiny asking her to protect her centaur son Xenan from warlord Belach, who thinks that Xenan has kidnapped his daughter. But Xena is shocked when Belach turns out to be Borias' son, in this average episode...

7.7
    This review contains spoilers.

This episode is probably more one for long-term fans who have followed the various characters stories; it will probably appeal to them a lot more than the more casual viewer of the series.

As with a great many episodes in this final season, it has a real feel of typing up loose ends and rounding things off.

The return of Ephiny, albeit in spirit form, is very welcome. She was one of the strongest Amazons (both physically and in terms of character), and I think they were wrong to kill her off in 'Endgame' late in the fourth season, as they had struggled to find a strong Amazon character to take her place.
    However, there is so much going on in this episode that at points the ghost of Ephiny almost becomes secondary to the story and almost forgotten about.

At first, I thought that this episode was going to be in a more traditional first or second season vein, with Xena and Gabrielle up against the standard warlord-of-the-week (TM). So it comes as a surprise that Belach turns out to be the son of evil Xena's former lover Borias (both played by Marton Csorkas).
    However, the fact that it is Borias' son is pulled off with middling interest. The flashbacks to more of Xena and Borias' time together likewise are a more middling affair this time. It felt to me that pretty much all that could be done with the Xena / Borias back-story had been done, and maybe it was time to let it rest.

It seems that the producers and writers felt that a good way to round of storylines was to almost wipe whole races out – after the Amazons were severely depleted in numbers a few episodes ago in 'To Helicon And Back', here all but one of the centaurs are slaughtered!
    However, I did find this point slightly questionable, as we have seen previously in both this series and in 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys' that centaurs do not necessarily all live together and are scattered around the land, so how could it be the last centaur with such certainty?

Although some weren't keen on it, I personally didn't mind warlord Belach effectively being 'turned good' by Xena in this instance. It's not a card I like to see played too often, and I'll agree that his change of heart did seem a little sudden, but I found it bearable.

All-in-all, I found this neither an outstandingly good nor bad episode, just average. And (like many episodes this season) it did serve to tie up a few loose threads.