Xena: Warrior Princess

Livia (1)

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 01, 2000 on

• After being in a slumber in an icy chamber for 25 years, Xena and Gabrielle awaken, and learn that Eve is now known as Livia, a bloodthirsty Roman warrior. A good episode, although sags a bit later on...

This review contains spoilers.

The first act is definitely the best section of this story, as Xena and Gabrielle awaken from the twenty-five year sleep to find themselves in a very different world. I love the scenes of their tombs melting and them waking up. They are reunited to a much older Joxer (who, as I assumed in the previous episode, is now married to Meg), and meet Joxer's impossibly good looking son Virgil.

Later in the episode, the pace lets up a little, as Xena tries to convince Livia that she is her daughter Eve. I felt this was a bit of a comedown after the great opening to the episode, and things got a bit too slow in the middle. But things picked up again at the climax, with Livia and Xena battling it out in the coliseum, although it wasn't as impressive as Xena's previous battle in a coliseum in the third season's great 'When In Rome...'.

Adrienne Wilkinson is reasonably cast as Livia, but I have to admit it took me a while to think of her as an all conquering warrior – as others have commented, much of the time she just seemed like an out of control daughter.

The Eve story this season has been an interesting one, but I think it is time to round it off now, as I don't see Xena chasing around trying to convince Eve/Livia to turn to good as being very interesting for very long.