Xena: Warrior Princess

Old Ares Had A Farm

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 15, 2001 on

• Xena, Gabrielle and Ares get to showcase their comedic talents - one of the funniest Xena episodes ever!

I thought that this was one of the funniest episodes in Xena history.

I know that the so-called 'filler' episodes cop a lot of slack, but I truly believe that some of the greatest Xena moments occur in the comedy episodes, and this one is no exception. I laughed til I cried through most of the episode, and after the heavy, dark episodes that filled most of season 6 it is like a breath of fresh air.

Lucy, Kevin and Renee are all fantastic comedienes, and this episode gave them all a chance to really just play around. The dialogue was hilarious, the gags were fantastic, and seeing them all dressed up like farm folk had me in stitches. (Not to mention Ares spending most of the episode without a shirt on - Kevin Smith's shining moment!)

The whole of season 6 has a real feeling of finality to it, as if the series can smell its own mortality and is really just tying up the loose ends before the finale, and this episode was no exception. Despite the comedy, it feels like the series really is starting to draw to a close, however, it gives the episode a really nice feel.

From Ares, Xena and Gabrielle trying to share a bed, to Xena and Gabrielle's lovers spat/cat fight, to Gabrielle and Ares posing as farm cockneys, I giggled the whole way through. Xena as a series had many levels and the comedy made it an amazing series just as much as the serious story arcs. This one is an absolute winner!!