Xena: Warrior Princess

One Against An Army

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 09, 1998 on

• Xena must stop the Persians from invading Athens alone and save Gabrielle who was injured and pierced by a poison arrow that was slowly killing her.

The episode had a lot of historical references and emotional growth for both Xena and Gabrielle. Xena proves how she can defend a city all by herself. However what makes this episode great is the feelings that were shared between Xena and Gabrielle. We see Xena admit how much influence Gabrielle has on her. As much as Gabrielle wants to be like her, Xena can't help feeling the opposite. There were many scenes where goodbyes were said. Gabrielle to Xena, Xena to her horse, Argo, which gives us the impression that Xena isn't sure she could with stand the force of the Persians. Having to worry about a dying Gabrielle didn't make the situation any easoer for her. The best part was at the end. As soon as the music kicked in and Xena regained her strength again and started knocking Persians left and right made me cheer her on. You just knew those Persians were in for a beating. She not only fought the Persians off, but she stopped them from attacking Athens and found the medicine to save Gabrielle's life. The episode showed the love and friendship between the warrior and her sidekick. It was suspenceful because it was one of those very close calls. It was also emotional, creative, filled with action...it had it all. It's one of my favorite episodes. I loved everything about it. It was very well written and Lucy Lawless gave an excellent pereformance.