Xena: Warrior Princess

Past Imperfect

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 04, 1999 on

• As Xena and Gabrielle try to save a town that is under attack, Xena realises that the tactics being used are exactly the same as those she used to conquer a town years before. A good episode, although not one of my favourites of the season...

This review contains mild spoilers.

This is a reasonable fourth season episode, with a good plot. However, for some reason, it doesn't stand out as one of my favourites.

Xena has finally told Gabrielle about her vision of Gabrielle's crucifixion, and is cautious about letting her near any danger in risk that it might lead to her foreseen fate. I like how they have a running thread like this through the season, it makes it all seem more planned and intended than the early, mostly stand-alone episodes.

We finally see how Borias died, and the events that led to Xena giving up her newborn baby son to the centaurs. It is well told, although I didn't enjoy this back-story as nearly as much as some of the previous flashbacks (other than that seen in 'Adventures in the Sin Trade', which I really didn't enjoy very much at all).

It is an interesting plot twist to have a character from Xena's past using the exact same tactics as the then bad Warrior Princess used herself. However, after this was revealed, I didn't find it to be played out as excitingly as it might have been.

All-in-all, a decent but not outstanding episode in my own opinion.