Xena: Warrior Princess

Path of Vengeance

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 12, 2001 on

• xena tries to escape eve from varia's wrath cause of her past crimes on the amazon nation

This a fair episode,well the story and the action were good but there are so many weak points and the most turn off is that ares is the god of war.I didnt take the previous episode seriously,it was enjoying as a break but not as an arc.From the start when i saw the black amazon,i suprised,where did she came from?also many of amazon dressings were like they were amazonian tribes not greek amazons.The best moment was when Gabrielle fought Varia but why Varia beats so easily Gabrielle?Gabrielle had becamed strong at the few last seasons,on the other hand Varia didnt seem so strong from the previous episodes,she even almost beat Xena.The story of the twilight was already builded up and the rule of the world had already changed hands so is not good to see ares again as a god especially now that there are few more episodes before the end.The episode could be good because it had some good moments but the turn offs were so many so i vote it only as a fair episode.(sorry for any english mistakes)
  • well...

after three fabulous episodes back to back this episode is a genuine let down of epic measures.
    its an uneeded storyline for the show and it feels like such a filler.
    it doesnt seem to move anywhere through its aching 45 minutes.
    the result of this episode makes me place it on the list of 10 episodes from xena to avoid...and one of my least favourite amazon storylines since last seasons disasterous Lifeblood(which was the only dud in season 5 i might add).
    Path of Vengeance is inexcusable,it should have been so much better...Ares wasnt even needed at all for this episode which is such a shame.
    there are only a few good moments and even there its below average.
    it is just uneeded.
    mind you the only thing tht manages to save the show is the scene between Gaby and Xena after her defeat with Varia in the wrestling match...oh and that bridge showdown between Xena and Varia was pratty good but what made me ache was the fact tht it was almost unnecessary for it.
    the worst episode of the season:/.
  • Two Amazon tribes join forces to wage war against the Romans, but when Eve – banished from Amazon lands for her past as Livia – returns to try and make amends, she is captured and sentenced to death. One of the season's weaker episodes...

This review contains spoilers.

This isn't really one of my favourite episodes of the season. The story is a bit slow and not very interesting, even if it does serve to tie up a few loose ends.

As with some other fans of the series, I never completely bought the character of Eve. Her supposedly terrible past and her sudden redemption… it never completely worked for me.

As in 'Dangerous Prey' which introduced the character, Varia is quite hard to work out, and to me never really seems strong enough in terms of character to be Amazon Queen.
    As I've said with a couple of other episodes, the Amazons in general down this end of the series don't seem half as interesting or as strong as they did in the earlier seasons.

Ares is back to his bad old self – he explains to Xena that he doesn't really want to go against her, but after the saga of him being turned mortal, he is in urgent need of some credibility points. But I have to confess, maybe I just wasn't paying full attention, but I never completely worked out where he fitted into things. It seemed a bit sudden for him to go back against Xena after she had helped him out (although this is Ares we're talking about I suppose!), and I'm not sure if he was really needed in the present in this story.

There isn't much else of note with this episode. The only real highlights are Ares' story about the scorpion and the swan (actually, saying it here, it sounds a bit lame), and Gabrielle's fight with Varia to try and save Eve from execution. The fight is made even more impressive by the fact that reportedly no stunt doubles were used. (However, on Xena's battle with Varia at the climax of the story, I did notice several glaring instances of stunt double use).

At the end of the episode, saved from death, Eve leaves to spread the word of Eli in Chin. I have to say, not before time – throughout the season I have been saying that, although reasonably played by Adrienne Wilkinson, Eve has been feeling like a fifth wheel, not really needed in the majority of the stories and somewhat getting in the way. I'm not saying that I out-and-out hated the character, but I think they were wise to write her out at this point.

Although this episode serves to tie up a couple of loose ends, as in that does it quite well I suppose, this is definitely one of the more so-so episodes of the season, and, beyond the tying of loose ends, almost feels a slightly 'filler' affair at points.
    This is one of those cases that isn't bottom of the barrel, but is hardly one of my favourites either.

Oh, one more thing – the disclaimer; 'The disclaimer for this episode was harmed during the making of this motion picture.' There's a generic, "we can't think of anything this week" disclaimer if ever I saw one.
  • This episode has the feeling of tying up a number of loose ends... A plot that lacks the strength of other episodes in the season is made up for by strong action scenes, and the episode (ultimately) serves its' purpose.

It was interesting to see all of the Amazon tribes brought together through Varia - who I always felt was not as strong an Amazon Queen as many of the earlier Queens. What also stood out was the fact that she allowed herself to be manipulated by Ares, which you would imagine was not likely to have happened to many other Amazon Queens. In this sense, the story did not feel complete to me, there seemed to be too many holes in the positioning of the Amazons, however, this was not the main purpose of the episode, so in that sense it is not a big deal.

This was Eve's last episode, which, I must say, is a relief. I have never been a fan of Eve, for, among other reasons, the fact that I found her character to be unconvincing. Given that she was the child of Xena and Callisto, I felt that we were let down in the portrayal of Eve, who just never had the spark of either women, let alone the two combined.

However, while the plot was not as strong, the action scenes in this episode make up for the weaker storyline. The fights between Varia and Gabrielle, and Varia and Xena are fantastic - truly edge-of-your-seat combats. To see the two women prepared to fight to the death for Eve is powerful and touching. The addition of Ares was an unusual part in this episode, and after his time as a mortal, it is hard to see him as the ruthless God of war again. He is, deep down, just too lovable... the story he tells of the scorpion drives that home.

Overall, this was not a strong episode like we have seen in the rest of Season 6 - the Amazon plot line seems to have had its day in Xena in many respects, as had the role of Eve. It satisfyingly finishes a number of subplots and the fight scenes are worth the while. A good episode - just not one of the best.
  • An Eve-il Past!

Path of Vengence-When Eve returns to make amends for her past, she is captured by the Amazons and sentenced to execution unless Xena and Gabrielle can save her.

A decent episode that gets it's point across well. But what annoys me about this episode of how gulliable Varia and the Amazons for that matter. In the season premiere, the Amazons wanted Ares dead and he was attacking their people and now his their ally all of a sudden? Anyway, the flashback scenes were good with the fight scenes with the Romans and Amazons being well choregraphed. Also the fight scenes between Gabrielle then Xena against Varia were also a plus. But I was rather annoyed by Ares' invovlement in story. He's appearence in this episode was pointless and all he did was taunt Xena, nothing we haven't seen before. Adrienne Wilkinson makes her final appearence as Eve and does a fine job. Her character feels full circle at this point and served her purpose. All and All, just you run of the mile episode, nothing too special.