Xena: Warrior Princess

Remember Nothing

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 07, 1996 on

• Xena's wish...

For saving their temple, the Furies grant Xena's wish; she had never become a warrior and her brother Lyceus had never been killed. The only catch is that if Xena sheds so much as a drop of blood, everything will be returned to the way it was.

Did the Fates set up a no win situation for Xena? Would the normally enthusiastic and somewhat gullible Gabs be so miserable and cynical if her life had been drastically different?

• Xena's wish...

For saving their temple, the Furies grant Xena's wish, she had never become a warrior and her brother, Lyceus had never been killed. The only catch is that if Xena sheds so much as a drop of blood, everything will be returned to the way it was. Did the Fates set up a no win situation for Xena? Would the enthusiastic and somewhat gullible Gabs be so miserable and cynical if her life had been drastically different? Although I enjoyed it, I found this episode to be disturbing. An alternate reality is usually much worse than the situation you already have.
  • 2nd episode of Season 2, Xena and Gabrielle find themselves heading to the Temple Of The Fates. Upon getting to the Temple, the Temple is attacked and Xena and Gabrielle do what they do best…. Protect.

This is our first encounter with the Fates, and we learn how cryptic they can be. They allowed Xena to go back to a time where Xena never became a warrior. They took her back to when her brother Lyceus was still alive. The conditions of Xena staying in that time is to never shed blood in rage…. Never be a warrior. This of course all comes with a price…..
    Instead of losing her brother, Xena quickly learns that her mother is dead. She is very upset and realizes that Gabrielle is not in her life either. Xena is trying to adjust to this "new" life when she realizes that Gabrielle is still around, but as a slave to a Warlord. Xena then does everything she can to save Gabrielle, who does not even know Xena, from the life of a slave.
    I think this is such a great episode. One of the first episodes that puts Xena and Gabrielle's love to the test, and that they are destined to be together. The back story was interesting as well, but not the main point of the episode. I think that it was meant to show that no matter what, Xena and Gabrielle belong together. All in all, this is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series, and the first in an "alternate" life. "Remember Nothing" stands at best in this category of episodes, only to be surpassed by Season 6 "When Fates Collide".
    In a funny little bit about the opening scenes…. Gabrielle is still in her Season 1 peasant clothes while traveling with Xena!!!
  • What If???

a classic episode in every sense of the word,season two had gotten off with a great start in Orphan Of War and this is a major episode of epic proportions,a genuine episode tht screams of brilliance.
    it is the usually common What if episode tht is commonly used in tv shows of a particular genre(see Buffy,Doctor Who,the x files etc)and this is again another fabulous version of tht style of a what if episode.
    Xen meets with the fates for the first of several times throughout the course of the series.
    they help Xena into seeing into an alternate reality if she had never picked up the sword.
    the result- her brother is alive,but Gaby is sent into slavery.
    a genuinly fantastic episode tht is of the best ever made...which only adds to the brilliance of season 2.
  • Xena's wish...

• No more Warrior Princess? Noooooo!

This was one of the all-time classic Xena episodes. We see the wide-reaching consequences of 1 action when Xena wishes she'd never followed the sword, turning Gabrielle into a slave, obliterating the Centaurs and amazons, and killing Cyrene. The only thing she gets out of the deal is her revived brother. Personally, I think it was a bad decision. I mean, after one tragic casualty she is blinded by grief and acts without thinking. I mean, after all the evil she wiped out and the good she did, it was quite frankly a poor episode. But besides that, it was a very enjoyable, well-written episode. It was a key moment in the episode when Xena witnessed Gabrielle kill in cold blood and reverse the decision. Also, what was up with her fiancee? The guy's a freakin' retard and doesn't have nearly enough to handle Xena. And the thing with the fates, that was pretty weird too! I mean, for god's sake, all their faces were painted. They never did that in later episodes. Anyway, good episode, good delivery, I give it a thumb's up!
  • what xena's life could have been like....

wow. amazing episode, a great what if scenario. xena and gabrielle had never met and both their lives re forever changed. we get to see the great impact xena had on the world, becase without all her good deads nothing was the same. gabrielle was a slave, not xena's noble sidekick. thta made me see how much gabriele helped along the way. xena's brother was perfect, you could tell how much he loved his sister. that is why his death had hurt her so much and for so long the ending was great how ultimately it was gabroelle who brought the wor;d back to order. great episode.
  • Destiny - or our own choosing? How much of our lives do we actually control? How wide reaching are the effects of our decisions? Big questions are asked, but not necessarily answered, in this excellent episode.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, from start to finish. I thought the plot was solid and well executed, the emotions worked, and acting was solid and it was a step away from the usual for Xena.

Xena does the 'what if' episodes very well. I cannot think of one from the series that was a let down, and Remember Nothing is no exception. The episode itself started off very well, and for once I was quite intrigued as to where we were going with the story, usually Xena throws you straight into the storyline and it is clear what is going to be achieved. The writers quickly lead us down an interesting path.

What this episode is all about is DESTINY. It is the first in many episodes which point to questions of destiny: Xena's destiny, Gabrielle's, and the way their paths are intertwined. By the second season I was a supporter of the Xena-Gabrielle relationship, and it is this conclusion that I feel all of the episodes of this nature lead to: Xena and Gabrielle are soul mates; their lives have lead them on the paths that they have followed, in order for them to meet and together create their own world. Their lives have a real inevitability to them, as we see in later episodes (and, for the first time here) Xena and Gabrielle's paths, no matter what detours they take along the way, ultimately lead to one and another. It is played out beautifully here and is extremely enjoyable and moving.

We finally meet Lyceus, and I must say, I am a fan! He is everything we had come to hope for in Xena's little brother: caring, funny, brave, clever and he obviously adores his big sister. It is easy to see why his death has continued to haunt Xena day and night for ten years - what a great loss the death of Lyceus was.

Gabrielle was exceptional in this episode. Seeing her as a slave girl was very hard - it really made me sad and lament the loss of the 'real' Gabrielle. I hadn't realized before this episode how much of a light in the series Gabrielle is, and seeing that light extinguished leaves a gaping hole that cannot be filled. However, despite the hard road that leads her there, Gabrielle is still drawn into Xena's path, and it still gives you the strong sense that we all have a destiny, but the paths that could be taken to get there are many and varied.

This episode is especially effective in demonstrating how important Xena's life as a warrior has been. By unravelling all of her good deeds, what we are left with is truly a world, crying out for a hero! I loved the combination of Mezentius and Krykus - it is a good choice of characters, and it is a believable plot development. It is a shame that we didn't get to see more of the warlords in action because they would definitely be a formidable force.

The death of Cyrene was also an effective twist. I enjoyed the themes of inevitability and consequence that were implied. No decision is without consequences, whether good or bad, and therefore no decision can be taken lightly. At the same time however, there is no room for regret in our lives, and this is the message that I think is being put forward: within Xena and Gabrielle's lives, each decision has consequences, but all you can do is be content with the choices that you have made.

The ending was beautiful - watching Gabrielle kill so coldly finished me, and it finished Xena. It is always Gabrielle who brings Xena back to her path, and this episode is no exception. Ultimately, the moral here is don't fight destiny, we have a path and should not regret anything.
  • When Xena accidentally kills a young man in battle, the Fates give her the gift of living the life she would have had if she hadn't become a warrior. But in this alternate reality, she finds that Gabrielle is a slave. An enjoyable tale...

This review contains mild spoilers.

Although this episode wouldn't make my favourite episodes list, it is a nice episode in itself.

The episode opens with a big continuity blooper – as Xena and Gabrielle travel across the countryside, Gabrielle can be seen wearing her peasant clothes from the early first season episodes (obviously they were using stock footage)!

Anyway, the Fates give Xena the gift of living her life as if she had never become a warrior, as long as she does not draw blood in anger. Her beloved brother Lyceus is still alive, but she finds it very hard not to deal with confrontations, and worse still, that in this existence, Gabrielle is a slave, made cold and untrusting from her treatment.

It is interesting to see Xena desperately try not to get into battle situations, which will mean the end of this alternate reality. But as she finds that she may have to spend this existence away from best friend Gabrielle, and then when Gabrielle kills in battle, she decides that this alternate reality must end.

The alternate reality presented in this episode is a 'what if' existence, but I personally like to think that even though our Xena returned to reality, that this existence with Lyceus still alive and Gabrielle freed from being a slave, somehow continued on its own course.
  • Xena's alternate life.

Wow this episode was pretty amazing. I loved this episode. This is one of the episodes that is going down on my favorties list. Xena kills an inocent boy while she fights with some warriors. The fates then come to her and do their thing and Xena is in a alternate reality. She is in a place where she never picked up the sword, doesn't know Gabrielle, and her brother is still alive. Unfortunately, in this life Xena's mom is dead. Xena then sees how different her life would've been w/o the way of the warrior and eventually runs into Gabrielle. In the end everything is restored to how it is.
  • A great "What if?" episode.

I really enjoyed this episode. We get to meet Lyceus, and now we can understand why Xena misses him so much, he was such a nice guy. This episode aslo introduces the idea that Xena and Gabrielle's friendship is destined to be, a theme that will be used many times throughout the rest of the series.

Also, Renee O'Connor does a great job portraying a Gabrielle hardened by years of slavery. I don't know how exactly she's doing it, but the slave Gabrielle is nothing like the Gabrielle we know. She looks so tired, much older, and her eyes have a hard, dead look. And the way she looks at that bloody sword, a cold stare, almost blasé, as if she's thinking "Served him right, but this doesn't change anything really." That's effective acting. So, a very good episode, worthy of being seen several times. Still, I couldn't help wondering, where's Toris?
  • Xena Quits!

Remembering Nothing-When Xena defends the Fate's temple, they give her the gift of changing the past: her brother Lyceus never died and she never became the warrior princess...but that also means she never met Gabrielle.

Xena has lived with a lot for the past 10 years since she became a warrior. And with all that pain and lost, wouldn't you want to change your life of killing people! So that's what happens when Xena saves the Fates' temple. Her life is changed by the Fates to where she never fought Cortese and left her home. The life makeover has some good consequences, Lyceus, Xena's little brother is alive, not to mention all the evil things did never happened. But the bad consequences are that Xena never did the good things that she has done, like stoping the Amazon/Centaur war, which now both groups are almost all dead. Cyrene, Xena's mother is dead. Krykus is a free man and Myzantius is alive. Not mention, Gabrielle is a slave and personality has chnaged for the worst. It's interesting watching Xena react to her new life, also seeing old villains return. Lyceus is such a great character, it's easy to see why he and Xena were so close. Can't say the same for Maphais, he was a loser, always doing what other people say instead of doing what's right. At least we saw some improvement from him in the final act. I was a shock to she Gabrielle so violent and almost cruel, espeically when she killed Myzantius! Xena always talks about how Gabrielle changed her life, but if Xena never saved Gabrielle from Draco's men, Gabrielle would never be who she trully is..how ironic. All in All, this is a great episode that shows that while Xena may have had a dark past, but the world trully needs her!!