Xena: Warrior Princess

Ten Little Warlords (2)

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 18, 1996 on

• The conclusion to a great 2-episode story arc - Xena is still trapped in Callisto's body, but it makes for a very exciting episode!

This is a genuinely funny and clever episode. As a pair, Intimate Stranger and Ten Little Warlords work exceptionally well. They are believable, the acting is excellent, the plots are solid and, in this second episode, the laughs are real.

Again the top praise for the episode goes out to Hudson, who is absolutely OUTSTANDING as Xena. It was a hard ask, to expect anyone to capture the essence of Xena, who is the heart and soul of the show, but Hudson manages it effortlessly. In my eyes at least, she IS Xena - she gets the walk, the talk, the mannerisms, the look... everything, right down to the way she says people's names, and the looks that she gives them. It truly is an impressive and very underrated feat that tends to be overlooked when compared to other, later episodes.

The episode itself, however, is also a top episode. The plot is great, even if it reveals itself a little shakily at the end, overshadowed by the returning of Ares' godhood. This is my kind of comedy episode - a clever plot, with some great lines, that doesn't take itself too seriously. I have mentioned before the kind of comedic episodes that I am not so into (ie. the look-a-like episodes) but every episode with Ares in it is a great one in my book. Kevin Smith is such a great comedian, he just gets it right. He has some really funny lines in this episode and plays the role of a mortal with relish. Joxer also wins bonus points in this episode - his scenes with Gabrielle are really amusing and they play off one another so well. These episodes are where Joxer shines, otherwise he feels out of place and loses his appeal for me.

My only regret is that the "ten little warlords" couldn't have been more well-known to us. I really enjoy when they tie in past storylines to give episodes more substance. I guess it is unfortunate that Xena kills all the warlords she meets, otherwise this could have been a real ripper of an episode!

So, it is with a little disappointment that we say farewell to Hudson playing Xena - I probably sound a bit like a broken record, but I was just so impressed with her performance. As Xena fans we are so fortunate to have such an amazing supporting cast who are as easy to love as our leading ladies - just makes for very exciting viewing.