Xena: Warrior Princess

The Quill Is Mightier...

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 19, 1998 on

• Xena went fishing, and Gabrielle awoke with a jerk...

"The Quill is Mightier" represents the end of our comedic reprieve from the heavy-duty story arcs, and I can't say that I'm particularly disappointed. As far as comedic episodes go, these three ("The King of Assassins", "Warrior... Priestess... Tramp" and this one) were not some of the better comedy fillers.

This one, like the others, has some funny moments, but the concept is not all that clever or funny, and the whole thing gets a little tiresome after a while.

Personally, this episode didn't do a lot for me and its only saving grace was the presence of Ares. Fans hate me for it, but I'm not a fan of Aphrodite. I just don't think she is that funny. Her lines are complete cliché, and she gets very old very quickly. Likewise with Minya. After the fan-adored "A Day in the Life", Minya became a loved recurring character. I found her to be incredibly one-dimensional, and completely annoying!

Joxer plays a good part in this one again, and he has proven to be the most consistent player for the last three episodes. The continuing theme of Joxer's love/infatuation with Gabrielle is continued here, and I have to say that I actually felt a little sorry for him. It is quite astounding that Gabrielle can be so unaware of his feelings. The fact that the issue is really only dealt with in the comedic episodes means that we are unlikely to ever really delve into it in any depth.

There are a few funny exchanges during this episode. Kevin Smith as Ares is the standout. His dry humour is delivered perfectly and provides many laughs throughout. His conversations with Aphrodite and Gabrielle are easily the highlight of the episode.

Otherwise, this episode is nothing special. I really don't find the Xena-lite episodes all that good, and after so many fillers, I am finding myself desperate to get back to the real action.

Like the previous two episodes, take this one for what it is - a fun and cute diversion.
  • A Xena-lite tale, in which, annoyed about the attention that Gabrielle's scrolls bring Xena, Aphrodite casts a spell on Gabrielle's latest scroll that causes everything that is written on it to become true. One of the season's better comedy episodes...

Right on the heels of 'The King of Assassins' and 'Warrior... Priestess... Tramp' comes ANOTHER comedy episode. Three comedies in a row is quite a rarity for the series. Of the three, I enjoyed this one the most.

Both the late Kevin Smith (Ares), and Alexandra Tydings (Aphrodite) turn in really good performances as their godly powers are taken away from them. I particularly liked the running joke of Aphrodite's lack of body hygiene after she became mortal.
    The episode also marks the return of Minya, introduced in the fan favourite second season episode 'A Day in the Life'.

I really like the strange sort of friendship that emerges between Ares and Gabrielle. They are bonded over their admiration of Xena, and start to find that they actually quite like each other. Scary!

The episode also turns out to be quite a sad one for Joxer. After unintentionally messing up when using Gabrielle's scroll, he sells his beloved scabbard to buy her a necklace. However, Gabrielle hid the magical scroll in the scabbard the night before, so it's all panic panic panic to get it back, completely overlooking Joxer's kind gesture. Ol' Gabby can be quite mean to Joxer sometimes, and I actually felt quite sorry for him here.

And then there are the three dancing, naked Gabrielles… oh boy!

The episode starts out with a quite clever concept – everything that Gabrielle writes on her scroll becomes real, and she has to be careful how she words everything, with some nice gags on her writings being taken literally. However, later on, the clever concept pretty much goes out of the window as the episode becomes one big riot, with lots of chasing around and goofiness.

Although not one of the series' classic comedy episodes, it is definitely one of the better comedies of the third season.
  • In one word: Fantastic.

In an act of jealousy, Aphrodite, the goddess of love, enchants Gabrielle's scroll, so that whatever she writes in it becomes true! When Gabrielle (unaware of the enchantment) awakes the following morning, she finds a horde of barbarians galloping towards her and Xena gone! She performs amazing stunts and fighting skills to fight them off, to find Joxer in Xenas place! She suddenly thinks that this is all familliar and results back to the scroll. She relises that she had written this previously that night. She and Joxer then set out to find out what has been going on. She writes that the 'force' that enchanted the scroll lost all its powers and that it be bought to her. Upon discovering that Aphrodite was the culprit, she relises what kind of good she can do with this scroll and she tries to end war once and for all, but words it wrong and just causes Ares, god of war, to lose all his powers. After travelling around for a while, Xena finds Gabs and gang, and after coming to the conclusion of what bad it can do and that no one should have that kind of power, comes up with the idea of writing down the truth to end the spell. It works and everything returns to normal.
  • I laughed my behind off.

This episode was so funny. I loved how the spell on gabriels scroll made the dancing gabriels. The whole episode was such a hoot. Plus it was great how it back fired on aphrodite. Even Ares got into trouble with this episode. Plus, i loved the end with the war of fish. I would hat e being hit with a flying fish. There was just so much in this episode. Also what made it great was that alot the supporting cast was there . Even Joxer was so much fun to watch. TO me this is an episdoe i can always watch when ever it is on.
  • Gabrielle should take up another hobby!!!

The Quill is Mighter-Jealous of Xena's legendary deeds, Aphrodite puts a spell on Gabrielle's scroll, causing everything written on it to magically become real.

Gabrielle's story-writing have always been her specialty, but once those stories come to life, that's anohter story!!! It's an interesting idea of what ever you write, it happens!! This episode is full of laugh out loud moments, with Joxer not realizes his part in the story:

Joxer:"Wok up with a jerk....I don't get it!!"

Also, Aphrodite and Ares losing their powers, making Aphrodite smell so bad and everyone's reactions to it. Then there's the 3 naked Gabrielles dancing and Gabrielle and Ares conversations with each other. Poor Joxer, he contines to try to get Gabrielle's affections but they never work. The episode ends with a hilarious fight with Xena throwing the fish at the warlords. All in All, this is a real funny episode!!
  • In this episode, the Godess of love enchants Gabriel's scroll with power to make whatever is written on it come true. Gabriel unintentionally strips both Aries, the god of war, and Aphrodite, the Godess of love, of their powers. Joxer than get hold of the

This episode could've been placed almost anywhere in the series, because it did not really have anything that would hinder it from being placed a little later on or a little earlier in the series. That is to say the least, especially, because it seem more entertainment driven than plot driven. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoyed this episode, it had me dying of laughter. Especially the three nude Gabriels that Joxer conjured up. The laughs continues as those who write on the scroll reak all kinds of havoc with their broad and sometimes outrageous desires. The more subtle joke and somewhat subtle message is that sometimes in the process derailing the life of others, sometimes you end up just as off track and affected by your own action than your target. This is a lesson that Aphrodite will not soon forget, but knowing her she'd probably repeat the same mistake tommorrow.