Xena: Warrior Princess

The Quill Is Mightier...

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 19, 1998 on

• Xena went fishing, and Gabrielle awoke with a jerk...

"The Quill is Mightier" represents the end of our comedic reprieve from the heavy-duty story arcs, and I can't say that I'm particularly disappointed. As far as comedic episodes go, these three ("The King of Assassins", "Warrior... Priestess... Tramp" and this one) were not some of the better comedy fillers.

This one, like the others, has some funny moments, but the concept is not all that clever or funny, and the whole thing gets a little tiresome after a while.

Personally, this episode didn't do a lot for me and its only saving grace was the presence of Ares. Fans hate me for it, but I'm not a fan of Aphrodite. I just don't think she is that funny. Her lines are complete cliché, and she gets very old very quickly. Likewise with Minya. After the fan-adored "A Day in the Life", Minya became a loved recurring character. I found her to be incredibly one-dimensional, and completely annoying!

Joxer plays a good part in this one again, and he has proven to be the most consistent player for the last three episodes. The continuing theme of Joxer's love/infatuation with Gabrielle is continued here, and I have to say that I actually felt a little sorry for him. It is quite astounding that Gabrielle can be so unaware of his feelings. The fact that the issue is really only dealt with in the comedic episodes means that we are unlikely to ever really delve into it in any depth.

There are a few funny exchanges during this episode. Kevin Smith as Ares is the standout. His dry humour is delivered perfectly and provides many laughs throughout. His conversations with Aphrodite and Gabrielle are easily the highlight of the episode.

Otherwise, this episode is nothing special. I really don't find the Xena-lite episodes all that good, and after so many fillers, I am finding myself desperate to get back to the real action.

Like the previous two episodes, take this one for what it is - a fun and cute diversion.