Xena: Warrior Princess

Ulysses

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 21, 1997 on

7.6
  • Xena and Gabrielle befriend the legendary Ulysses, King of Ithaca, and help him on his voyage home as the Poseidon, God of the Sea, tries to stop them. As they spend time together, Xena and Ulysses start to have feelings for each other. A reasonable tale.

This is another enjoyable second season adventure.

Ulysses is given a charismatic portrayal by John D'Aquino. Often the series goes for smaller, New Zealand-bred actors, but I actually recognised D'Aquino, primarily from the fan favourite second season 'Quantum Leap' episode 'Jimmy'.

After being seen in the opening credits since the start of the series, in this episode we finally meet Poseidon, God of the Sea. The original shot was created purely for the credits, but it intrigued enough viewers for an episode to be written featuring the scene.

Although Lucy Lawless has said that she felt that D'Aquino was mis-cast as Ulysses, I personally think that he and Lawless have a great chemistry together, and their will-they won't-they relationship, which could easily have been quite dull, sparkles and brings the episode to life.

There are other good elements, such as Gabrielle's sea sickness, though I wasn't sure about Xena out-singing the sirens!

Although I wouldn't rank this as one of the best of the season, its not a bad episode in itself.