Xena: Warrior Princess

Warrior... Priestess... Tramp

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 12, 1998 on

• Would the virgins please stand up!

There is no doubt that this is a bizarre episode. The writers clearly wanted to extend the look-a-like franchise that one step further, but it really was one step too far. The idea of a priestess is cute, but this plot line is so confusing and ridiculous, that even the cuteness of the plot can't balance it out!

Lucy really is an incredibly talented and versatile actress. I am really not a fan of the look-a-likes, but as I always say, I truly do appreciate the episodes for their ability to showcase Lucy's extensive talent. Leah is a cute character; combined with Meg and Xena, the trio are utterly ridiculous, but it works (to a degree).

This episode gains bonus points from me because, despite the plot (or lack of!) there are some very funny and very clever scenes. Gabrielle's confusion in the opening, and her random attempts to work out who she is dealing with (Callisto, Princess Diana and finally, Meg) is very well done. Leah's clear horror at Xena and Gabrielle's less-than-virginal state is also well scripted and well acted.

I find that the various switches get very tiresome as the episode goes along. Meg is incredibly annoying, and Leah wears very thin. The massive plot holes do nothing to move the episode forward.

For probably the first (and last) time I have to say "Thank Hestia for Joxer!". His new version of 'Joxer The Mighty' is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. The scene in Meg's brothel (what's THAT all about??) had me in stitches!

Not a lot else needs to be said about this episode. I am glad that it marks the end of the look-a-likes, and episodes like this one really do make me appreciate the sheer brilliance of the truly great episodes, like "The Debt". As I always say, the worst episode of Xena is still miles ahead of the best episodes of most other things, so I appreciate this one for what it is: a bit of fun.