Xena: Warrior Princess

You Are There

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 05, 2001 on

• The explanation for this episode's schtick

Reading the previous reviews makes me feel really old. ;-)

The episode is titled "You Are There" because it's a parody of a show of the same title, that Walter Cronkite hosted on television in the fifties and that had been on radio with other hosts the previous decade. The premise of "You Are There" was that the show would dramatize a historical event, such as the crucifixion of Christ, and report on it as if it was actually happening with modern-day news reporters on the scene.

It was revived briefly in the early seventies, which is how is how I happen to have been exposed to it. The episode goes a step further by making the reporter into a Jerry Springer style of talk show host and putting the characters onto his show, in a reversal of the theme of the original. The reporter appears to also be intentionally made-up to resemble Roland Headly, Junior from Doonesbury, the reporter who periodically embarked on weird adventures like the infamous "trip through Reagan's brain". Going into the past to interview a famous person with no particularly good explanation of how it was accomplished would be all in a day's work for him.

As to the episode itself, this is one of my favorites. From Eve's profanity laden outburst to Ares' plaintive cry of "Oh, sure. See what the god of war is reduced to!" while he dejectedly guzzles his beer and Xena tries to fend off accusations of seducing him to the final denoument that reveals what she's really doing, the whole thing is a great sendup of the television culture of "investigative" hack journalism and the problems that plague celebrities from paparazzi and cuthroat reporters looking to make a name for themselves by smearing someone else.

Everyone is great in this episode, and of course the final gag is the best of all. Big thumbs up on this one.
  • Xena is on a quest the obtain the legendary golden apples, which when eaten can make a person immortal, but a pushy modern day reporter is determined to get a scoop and expose 'the real Xena' and her motives, in this rather strange comedy episode...

This review contains moderate spoilers.

Well, what a strange episode. The moment we see modern day reporter Nigel (Michael Hurst) appear and point a microphone at Xena, and she becomes aware of the camera filming every move, we as an audience are taken aback. Just what is going on? Why are all these modern things in Xena's time?

Hurst gives a good performance as Nigel, looking very different from the long, blonde haired Iolaus in 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys'. As per usual, he is game for pretty much anything, such as landing face down in a pool of mud.

When I first watched this episode, I was curious as to why Hurst didn't also play Charon, boatman of the river Styx, another part which he usually portrays. Apparently (according to the Region 1 DVDs) there simply wasn't time to film the separate part and merge it together with Nigel interviewing him, so another actor was brought in to play Charon instead.
    A nice touch is that the deranged Caligula, whom Xena killed (or rather, persuaded to kill himself) in the previous episode, 'The God You Know', is awaiting to cross the river Styx into the underworld.

I wouldn't say this comedy-based episode is particularly hilarious (just VERY STRANGE), but it does have a couple of scenes that do stand out.

One of the best scenes comes as Nigel tries to interview Eve about mother Xena, only to be met with a barrage of (bleeped out) foul language. To see the usually calm Eve respond in such a volatile manner is really funny.

Vying with the Eve scene as best moment of the episode is Nigel's interview in the brothel (although it's termed slightly nicer than that in the actual episode), when Ares appears, half naked and swigging a drink, next in line for service!

The ending scene is also very good, with the question as to whether Xena and Gabrielle are in love, but interrupted by technical difficulties.

What makes this episode so strange is that what modern day Nigel and his crew are doing in Xena's time is never explained at all. With the teaser ending in Xena's unwelcoming reaction to the camera filming her, it seems as if the episode will serve to explain what is going on. But after this, Nigel and his crew and their technology are mostly treated as an everyday sight in Ancient times. Not even a clue is given about Nigel and how he came to end up in this time period.

As with several episodes this season, it has a very "end of the series in sight" feel to it, and it feels a bit like they thought of the story and decided "what the heck, let's go with it!". I definitely don't think that it would have worked any earlier in the show's history, especially in the first couple of seasons.

This is more a novel episode than anything else, and I would say one more for long-term, hardcore fans. Any one new to the series is sure to wonder what on earth is going on and probably won't enjoy it as much.
  • What time is it anyway?

This episode was really weird and I didn't know what was going on half the time. Probably because a 21st century man and elemnts from the 21st century were walking around in the past. Does this meann that the cameraman were following a fake Xena or going back in time? I still don't get it, anyway It was pretty funny, especially Eve, and pretty well written for an episode that confused me so much. It also revealed how Ares and Aphrodite got back on Olympus, and the fact that Velaska is dead. I liked that it brought back old villains like Caligula, Lucifer, and the Archangel Micheal (I mean, come on people! He tried to put Xena in a hole and get Eve killed for god's sake!). All in, all it was a pretty good episode.
  • Where exactly are we? Who cares - we are laughing the whole way there and back again!

This was absolutely a bizarre episode, but incredibly entertaining. I am a huge fan of the comedic Xena episodes, and I tend not to view them as 'filler' episodes, rather as being as important to the series as the story arcs themselves. In my opinion, the comedy episodes make Xena what it is every bit as much as the serious story arcs did.

This whole episode had me in stitches. First mention goes to Michael Hurst as the reporter, Nigel. Where Nigel comes from, how he gets there and what exactly he is doing is never made clear, but he plays a great role and you can't help but have a soft spot for him.

Second mention goes to Eve - for the first episode she is funny, witty and great to watch! Her cussing at Nigel in defence of her mother is absolutely priceless, particularly given Nigel's comments about whether that is the behaviour of the messenger of the path of love!

Ares, as always, is a standout. Throughout the series, most of the best comedic moments came from Ares as a mortal and this is no exception. Ares yelling out "I'm not a criminal, I'm just trying to get laid" as he leaves the brothel is a very funny moment!

There are so many great references to past characters, and it is highly amusing seeing Caligula in Hades - he was such a great character. The only downside was that there were no more interviews with people that Xena had killed.

And final mention must go to Xena and Gabrielle dodging the "are they, or aren't they lovers?" questions. It is fairly clear where the story line was going, and the camera cutting out just as they answer the question leaves it just where it should be. The nature and extent of their relationship has always been whatever viewers want it to be. My opinion is different to the next person's, and it was a perfect way to leave the episode.

All in all a fantastic episode - funny, clever and a complete change of pace. Xena is constantly surprising, shifting gears and keeping you on your toes. This is truly exactly why I watch this show!
  • In Today's Mockumentory...

6.6
    You Are There-A tabloid reporter tries to get the scoop on Xena and her motivation for her quest to obtain the legendary golden apples from Valhalla. A surprisely decent episode with a bizarre plot device, putting a modern day setting in Xena's ancient world. While some scenes seem a bit forced, some come off pretty funny. One in particularly being Eve cursing out Nigel the reporter of of no where. Micheal Hurst gives a hilarous performance as Nigel and his interaction with the lead charcters and characters from past episodes are quite funny. But for the most part, it hardly makes any sense! How did Nigel get to the ancient times in the first place? Why is everyone not reacting to the technology of the future more? But anyway, it was nice to see Ares and Aphrodite back as Gods though, but how did Xena beat Odin even when she couldn't beat him with her power to kill Gods? Why am I asking so many questions? All and All, a gimmic episode that works only half the time.