Xena: Warrior Princess

You Are There

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 05, 2001 on

• Where exactly are we? Who cares - we are laughing the whole way there and back again!

This was absolutely a bizarre episode, but incredibly entertaining. I am a huge fan of the comedic Xena episodes, and I tend not to view them as 'filler' episodes, rather as being as important to the series as the story arcs themselves. In my opinion, the comedy episodes make Xena what it is every bit as much as the serious story arcs did.

This whole episode had me in stitches. First mention goes to Michael Hurst as the reporter, Nigel. Where Nigel comes from, how he gets there and what exactly he is doing is never made clear, but he plays a great role and you can't help but have a soft spot for him.

Second mention goes to Eve - for the first episode she is funny, witty and great to watch! Her cussing at Nigel in defence of her mother is absolutely priceless, particularly given Nigel's comments about whether that is the behaviour of the messenger of the path of love!

Ares, as always, is a standout. Throughout the series, most of the best comedic moments came from Ares as a mortal and this is no exception. Ares yelling out "I'm not a criminal, I'm just trying to get laid" as he leaves the brothel is a very funny moment!

There are so many great references to past characters, and it is highly amusing seeing Caligula in Hades - he was such a great character. The only downside was that there were no more interviews with people that Xena had killed.

And final mention must go to Xena and Gabrielle dodging the "are they, or aren't they lovers?" questions. It is fairly clear where the story line was going, and the camera cutting out just as they answer the question leaves it just where it should be. The nature and extent of their relationship has always been whatever viewers want it to be. My opinion is different to the next person's, and it was a perfect way to leave the episode.

All in all a fantastic episode - funny, clever and a complete change of pace. Xena is constantly surprising, shifting gears and keeping you on your toes. This is truly exactly why I watch this show!