X-Men

Enter Magneto (1)

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Nov 27, 1992 on FOX

• The X-MEN duel with Magneto and try to stop him from launching missile attacks.

Great episode. Although Magneto is often seen as the crazed villain these type of episodes show why Magneto is not as crazy as they make him out to be.

Humanity hates and discriminates against Mutants. Xavier is the ultimate pacifist who thinks the answer is peace without force. Eric, Magneto, knows that humanity will never embrace mutants. Magnet's ultimate decision is to destroy all mankind. It's an extreme answer, but you can definitely see why Magneto feels this way.

We see the mistreatment that Xavier, Magneto, and in this episode Hank receives. The trial for Beast is nothing but a joke. Sabretooth comes out to start carnage in the courtroom. Wolverine would like to see Sabretooth dead, but Professor is going to take him a really stupid decision that would be disastrous.

Highlight of this episode is Magneto having his first of many fights with X-MEN. It's clear Magneto is stronger than any other mutants making him a strong adversary for many times to come.

X-MEN finally stop the missile attacks, but it's only a sign of things to come.
  • Fantastic Introduction of a Would Be/Would Be Not Villain

Magneto. Magneto has been the greatest and most popular of all the X-Men's villains throughout their entire history. The amazing thing about Eric "Magnus" Lehnsherr is the fact that he and Professor Charles Xavier remain friends throughout the series, and that the greatest villain of them all is also a very strong ally. That is what makes this episode work. It unravels so much about the past between Magneto and Professor X and also delivers some awesome action. I would say the only flaws within this episode are, as most episodes have shown, the ability to focus on Wolverine far too much, and the gentleness that Magneto actually shows. In the comics he was never as gentle as he was with them, believe it or not. But, anyways, and like all other episodes in this series, it was a great episode and deserves a big ten!
  • The first episode that alludes to the past of many of our favourite characters.

This episode dives deeper into the conflict, and shows that things are not always black and white even in the comic world. This episode sets the story for the series, in which the main battle is the Humans Vs the Mutants, and also the Mutants Vs the Mutants. Magneto is leading a Mutant charge in which they want to destroy the humans, which we learn more about later, and Xavier wants to keep peace between the two worlds and help the humans understand that mutants aren't a threat. We learn a lot about our characters, and where their loyalties lie such as when Beast is free'd from his prison by Magneto, but chooses to stay so he can explain himself to the human court. We also learn about the past between Xavier and Magneto, and Wolverine and Sabertooth. these are two of the greatest rivalries in the whole X-men saga, and this episode is a great reference to why the characters are the way they are.
  • The man who's called: Magneto

A great episode to continue the pilot. In this episode we meet the enemies of Xavior and wolverine. First we meet Magneto who tries to free Beast but fails to, because beast doesn’t want the humans to fear him, he just wants them to make peace.

Magneto and Xavior used to be friends and help patients until Magneto realised he hated human kind and began to destroy it. He even tries to loose some nuclear bombs but Storm stops them, she almost sacrifices her life for it but manages to destroy them and push them into water.

We also meet Wolverine’s enemy, Sibertooth, he seems to have the same temper and Wolverine hates him and wants to murder him but the others will not let him do that.

The episode was well written and it was great to meet new X-men. I did miss a few other X-men who weren’t in the episode like Jean, Rogue and Gambit. But still, a very nice episode, well written and enough action .
  • "Looks like I'll have time to catch up on my Dostoevsky" - Beast

Beast is being held in a prison for breaking in the Mutant Agency, and it seems someone's here to rescue him. It's Magento; a former friend of the professor. He's hellbent on destroying mankind due to the fact that his parents were killed in a guerrila attack. During Beast's trial, he does his best to defend himself, but is rejected of bail. A mutant named Sabertooth ravages the court, and is quickly taken care of by the police. Cyclops helps him out, while Wolverine watches as he's about to die. Back at the school, Wolverine tries breaking him out, but an emergency came as Magneto was attacking a military headquarters. He initiated the nuclear bombs, targeting the base itself, and spreading the word around that Magneto is on the loose. Storm disables the warheads, and Magneto's desire for a civil war was delayed.

What I love the most about X-Men is the rather close and distanced relationship between the professor and Magneto. Usually in shows, if the leader of one group, the leader of another, were previously close friends, they would grow to hate each other. Instead, Magneto and the professor simply see as each other with different ideals, bearing no real hatred among each other. The movies do a pretty good job of displaying this relationship as well. Plus, it did a good job of separating the ideals between the two. The professor is pushing towards peace between humans and mutants through Beast's trial, while Magneto wants to liberate the earth of all humans through destroying them one by one. Wolverine's hatred for Sabertooth did a good job of showing his character. If he likes someone, he'll help them no matter what, and if he hates someone, he'll care less if they're a mutant or not; just as long as they're dead. It's a good thing they made him the main character in the movies.
  • Nice introduction, but definately could have been better.

For some reason, Enter Magneto never hooked me like Night of the Sentinels, or Captive Hearts did. It had some nice scenes, but It seemed a bit slower. I like the character Sabertooth and all, but I think the episode didn't have the emotional grasp that the other episodes did. The episode just seemed like more of an excuse to introduce Magneto, so they could have the entire of next episode to work on plot rather than background. Magneto is pretty cool and all, but I don't like him as much as some other villans.

Overall: Good episode, but lacks heart.

8/10
  • The introduction to everyone's favorite villain

Enter Magneto works as introduction and not much else. This episode had too much material and not enough episode time. I mean, this episode barely made 20 minutes. What was Fox thinking? Even a Simpsons episode runs over 22 minutes, allowing a little breathing room for its plot. This just felt too rushed. But some of it works.

Magneto's introduction is priceless. I loved his attempt to break Beast out of prison. You can't help but sympathize with his generosity towards other mutants, including the X-Men. Beast, on the other hand uses his trial as an excuse to remain locked in. It amazes me how both Hank and Xavier could be so naive this early on. Xavier's attitude was about to get kicked pretty hard in the following episode, so it's an interesting bit of character development at least for the Professor.

We see the first flashback in Xavier's life as we see into Magneto's past. Before watching the first X-Men movie, I never really understood what was Magneto's motive behind his extreme hatred of humankind. The animated series never gave a satisfactory explanation, other than saying that he had lost his family. They never alluded to the concentration camps directly and that diminished the viewer's perception of Magneto's driving reason to exterminate humans.

Beast's hearing was a perfect example for defining human/mutant relations. Magneto has a good point. What chance could Beast possibly have being tried by normal humans? They really seem oblivious to Beast's statements or the real truth behind his actions on the mutant control agency. In the end, fear and hatred prevail over common sense and Beast ends being forced to spend his period before trial in a holding cell.

Another plot gets launched in this episode in the form of Sabretooth. He had already appeared in the opening shot of Night of the Sentinels, creating havoc. This time, he decides to barge in Beast's trial. I love Logan's initial reaction shot towards Sabretooth. Curiously enough, Logan decides to allow the guards to put his old nemesis down, while Scott decides to emulate Magneto by blasting the guards down. An interesting reversal of their respective roles.

Xavier's decision to safeguard Sabretooth against Wolverine is the stupidest possible, which will have its consequences. Logan spelled it out perfectly: "How come we have to trash your old enemy, when we gotta go easy on mine?"

Magneto decides to wipe out New York for good by activating some nuclear warheads. Here's where Storm goes reckless and saves the day. Thanks to Xavier and Cerebro's input, Storm is able to use all of her strength to disarm the missiles and send them to the ocean. Wolverine also plays a hero by saving our unconcious weather-witch. The episode wraps up very abruptly with a quick speech by Magneto revolted by the X-Men's action in preventing a war. This part of the story could have been better plotted. Fortunately, all these elements would be dealt with in Deadly Reunions.