FOX (ended 1997)

X-Men Fan Reviews (105)

• The greatest comic book animation cartoon show ever.

The show was the best way to bring a comic book to life. The Voice Overs were tremendous, it was always what I though they would sound like. Then something terrible happened, the movies came out. I hope Bryan Singer never directs another movie ever same with this ratner character thats getting X3 the franchise is now down the toilet.
  • One of the best super-hero cartoons ever. X-men had constant action and multiple characters, thus providing an endless supply of great stories. Also, this show scores major points for being so accurate to the comic book. Even a true nerd would be pleased.

One of the best super-hero cartoons ever (besides Batman and Spider-man). X-men had constant action and multiple characters to choose from, thus providing an endless supply of great stories. Also, this show scores major points for being so accurate to the comic book. The costumes are dead on, the stories are so close to the comic that it's just like reading them, and the characters are perfect matches. Another plus is that even thow this show was aimed at children, very rarely did it demonstrate that. It usually was very mature with its dialogue, themes, and storylines, thus creating a show that kids of course love, but more importantly one that can bridge the gap between kids and adults. The animation is great and clean, the sound is spectacular, the show is just great in general.

My final review: An X-ellent show, one of the best super-hero cartoons ever. Even a true nerd would be pleased.
  • One of my favourite shows as a kid, and am still able to watch it occasionally now, and thank Stan Lee for another great show of my childhood that didn't talk down to you.

X-Men, the 94-97 series, is a cartoon based on the Marvel comic works of Stan "The Man" Lee. It is based on individuals known as mutants, who have special powers, who live all over the world, and how society treats those who are different to the "norm".
    More specifically, it follows a certain group of mutants, known as the X-Men, who have been taught to harness their powers, and who attempt bring harmony between mutants and non-mutants throughout the world.
    It was a quality show, up until the 64th or 65th episode where manga, or some other similar type of cartoon drawers, replaced the original artists, changed the clothing, and changed, essentially the direction of the show. Some of the actors were replaced here too. Needless to say, once this turn was made, the show lasted not even another ten episodes.
  • The Greatest Super Hero Cartoon of All-Time

I think pound-for-pound the '90s X-Men cartoon was the greatest super hero cartoon ever, even over Batman:The Animated Series. I thought that the X-Men cartoon had the deepest storylines of any super hero cartoon. Also, it had the best animation. The show is better than Batman Beyond, Justice League, Avengers, or any other X-men cartoon that came after. For anyone who loves super hero cartoons, this is the best of the best. The last several episodes SUCKED though. Maybe the last 10 episodes because they changed the animation and voices, and the stories were awful.
  • The best X-Men cartoon ever

I have all 5 seasons of this on DVD and I love watching it over and over again
  • Along with Batman the Animated Series, X-Men played a pivotal role in creating intelligent, action-packed, brilliantly written animated series.

This was such a great show as a kid, granted I was confused over a few episodes but none the less as I stated earlier this along with Batman the Animated Series played a pivotal role in creating the superhero/action packed bang of the 1990's. What I like most about this show is how real it is, the Mutants are viewed by humans as outsiders and there are some mutants who use their powers for bad, and others who use their powers for good. It holds so true to the social injustice that people face all over the country, and the show deals great with other themes includes spirituality, love, and the aforementioned outsider role. The character are great and complex, and every character is voiced so well, and so intriguing, whether it be and X-Men, or a friend of the X-Men. The characters of Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, Jubilee, Beast, Gambit, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto are so well developed, that the show stays entertaining for the audience. A personal favorite, and though I felt the movies did injustice to the series and the comics, I'm looking forward to the new X-Men cartoon called Wolverine and the X-Men.
  • Of all the Saturday Morning cartoons this was my favorite... but I was also a big comic-book fan too.

I seriously loved this series. It was great as a comic book fan to see your favorite characters in more than just static panels. So every Saturday morning, with my bowl of cereal, I'd be glued to the TV. This series was down right awesome, although it isn't really made to be watched in huge chunks at a time. It works well getting in an episode or two a day or week. The animation isn't as smooth or stylized as some of them now and days, ie Justice League or Bruce Timm style Batman/Superman, but it served it's purpose. This cartoon got me into comics as a child. They did a great job of taking stories from the comics and transferring them to the screen. Even if you didn't read comics you got a pretty comprehensive grasp of the X-men universe in fantastic 30min episodes. Some of my friends who had never read comics had basic knowledge of characters and their relationships to each other all from watching this show. I'm so glad this show was running when it was, it had such an impact on my childhood. I only hope they will finally release this series on DVD!
  • An excellent rendering of the comic.

This is one of the few X men that stay true to the comics. With the exception of a few thing, which were ommited because of the leght of the show, it is an almost perfect telling of the story. With the charectors as true to thier comic book conterparts as possible, the series is worth watching. Not only that, but even the costumes look just as they should be. The enimies they face are also the most dangerous the X men fight. Sinister, Apocalipse, Magneto and the sentinls. With the exception of the number of students at the school, it is an almost perfect retelling.
  • x-men is about somepeople all over the world whos genes has mutanted givng this people powers.

as a guy born in november of 1990. i watch this as a kid but now that im older i like it alot more than what i did at first.

the writing is clever and its stayed fresh over the 5 seasons run.

the action scenes are very well done for a cartoon.

this cartoon does x-men justice.

the show is very good if u can get over the fact the show is a cartoon.

it does take alittle while to get over the drawings alittle seeing how new cartoons in 2000slooks nothing like cartoons that were in the x-men 1990 days but u get over it pretty quick.

for those who never seen this or dont know anything about x-men i say watch this its gives u almost all the characters and their backgrounds making u a new fan and for old fans this showwill make uenjoy x-men more than what u did.

love this show:)

if u ask me whos my favorite x-men ill say storm and cyclops .storm is so strong willed, a great beauty for blacks to see,and i love her powers..cyclops is very serious,smart,hardworking and responisble just like me which is nice to see on tv..

• Best X-men series so far

This show was/is without a doubt the best series in the X-men franchise. It caught my eye when i was still a young boy and now more than a decade later i'm re-watching this whole show.With every episode i'm beginning to like it again, more and more. Such a good strong plot and storyline, characters strongly built, and the X-men are truly a team here. Although I am not a hardcore X-Men fan like most of the reviewers here, I have to admit that this is one of the few animated TV shows that present complex characters in intense, action adventured situations, with mature situations and plot. I think most of us here have seen this show but if not i do recommend it, since there's no other like it
  • unforgetable

this is one of my zshows that i consider a collector item,i have this on vhs days before dvd was the go.i have this AS a keep safe .I love this show.unforgetable ,marvelous,great.Iam sorry the professor had to dieor live in any ways and they showed how his friendship with magneto never died no matter what that shows the respect they had for one another.It went over and beyond for them they helped each other in times of need and they cared for each other.they showed how the professor had compassion for just about anyone besides his beloved X-MEN although their are many remakes of this classic cartoon this remains the oundation for everthing tht came next ,but the comics are the insipration.
  • Nostalgic for me

X-men Is Very nostalgic to me, when i watch the Exciting and unique powers of the mutants In X-men, X-men Has many characters that have awesome mutant powers or abilities, like turning into metal, create spikes, super speed, and many more, x-men is awesome also to its awesome roster of characters, when the movie came out, i watched it right away, and when the second movie came out i also watched it right away like what i did to the forst movie, and when the third movie came out i rushed to the theatres so i can watch it, I hope Somday i'll get to watch X-men again.
  • To Those Calling X-Men An "Anime": When Was Canada Japan?

I'm sick and tired of every grade D retard calling any cartoon an "anime" long before that genre became mainstream. X-Men was animated in Flipping Canada you idiots

Onto the subject, the 90's X-Men still stands as a series that managed to succesfully adapted several of the classic Chris Claremont comic strips, if it was'nt entirly original in itself, it's execution of these stories was certaingly innovative and compelling, with year spanning storylines that took more than one season to finish, or for revelations to be made of a characters' background, this series also carried a consistent deapth of emotion rarly expressed in shows beyond this one. Not even the superior, yet flawed in animation, X-Men: Evolution can match up to this on screen quality.
  • an introduction to mutant life

I will happily admit to people that I love comics (especially for the great art that often features on the covers) but my love for Marvel in particular started with X-Men, and this is the show that introduced me to them! I don't watch many of the comic-turned-cartoons any more, but X-Men will always be a favourite of mine. As a child I loved Rogue, and even back then would 'ship' her and Gambit! This is something I can watch time and time again, and I love the theme tune too!
  • X Men will be regarded as one of the best cartoons of the 1990s.

I must say that the X-Men is the best series cartoon ever.

I have just managed to get it on DVD and i recommend it to anyone. It has great story's, some great episodes and fast action. There are so many different characters and so many different special powers that it's difficult to keep up with who has what. Many of the episodes are great, but the best episodes are with mutant Apocalypse. Those episodes have the best stories and best action. Okay all threeh X-Men movies are good, but they can never be as satisfying as X-Men cartoon series. So, if you want good cartoon, which is more mature than average cartoons, it's X-Men.
  • Wow! This show is classic! Re-air the show! I think this show was underappreciated. I would like to see it back on the air.

Just bring it back fools! You know this show was good. Don\'t appreciate this show? well i think this show is one of the best kids shows on tv if you all need to bring back up those childhood FOX memories this has to pop back up in your mind along with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers...needless to say these shows were the two best shows fox had on saturday mornings so yeah...i\'m running out of things to say because AWESOME is pretty much the only thing that describes the X-Men cartoons so yeah peace out foolios bring back the show!
  • this is one of the best marvel shows of all time

i remember when this show first came out. i was really excited, having been an xmen fan for at least 15 years. it was my all time favorite comic. the show really held up well. i think some of the episodes should have been much darker, but it was supposed to be a show that kids could watch. i wish it had gone on longer, but xmen evolution came along and blew everything else out of the water.
  • This was the closest to the comics than any X-Men cartoon. It put the X-Men in positions the comics were in without the really graphic parts. It even had the Phoenix saga.

This is way better than X-Men Evolution. It had drama, comedy and action. I would buy all the seasons if I could. This is like the new Justice League show back in the 90's. I always thought that the Wolverine in this X-Men was the best. The rest of the X-Men included in the main cast were, Storm, Gambit, Rogue, Cyclops, Beast, Jubilee, Jean Grey and Professor X. The rogues gallery included Magneto, Juggernaut, Mystique, Apocalypse, Pyro, Dark Phoenix, Avalanch, the Phalanx, the Brood, Sauran, and Mojo. Other special guests include Colossus, Nightcrawler, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Forge, Cable, Bishop, Havock, Banshee and others. Now if this doesn't sound like the coolest X-Men show then they haven't invented it yet.
  • One of the greatest cartoons I grew up with!!!

Right next to Spider-Man TAS, this show was one of my all time favorite cartoons on Fox. This was the show that started the whole 90's Marvel Superhero cartoons: Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Silver Surfer and the Hulk. Why they never did a 90's Captain America show, I'll never understand. Anyway, the fact that show lasted 5 seasons says alot!!! Season 1 was my favorite, Season 2 was good, Season 3 was pretty good, Season 4 was awesome, and Season 5 was so-so (except for Graduation Day, that rocked!). Also the villian roster was phenominal: Sabertooth, Magneto, Apocalypse, Mystique, The Sentinels, Mr. Sinister, Pyro, Blob, Avalanche, Juggernaut, and tons more. In my opinion, X-Men Evolution pales in comparision to this show!!!
  • One of the best (if not the best) superhero based cartoon of all times.

The show is perfect. I watched it every day, I never missed an episode.
    It was an action-packed animated series that made me feel a true hero.
    Every episode had action, adventure, thrills but also drama, romance and sometimes comedy.
    This series will always be in my heart and my head for that matter. Even now, I keep watching it whenever I have time.
  • If you think X-Men Evolution is "decent," than you've never see the X-Men! This isn't Dawson's Creek with mutants, this is the real deal bub!

The X-Men animated series has been the standard where all comic book adaptions have been measured, judged, and executed. If you're a die-hard X-Men fan like myself, then you know this is the only X-Men medium that stays faithful to the comics while creating its own twists to make this show unlike any other.

Both of the previous live-action X-Men movies failed because they lacked character development, story progression, and the most important aspect of all, the X-Men mythology.

Do yourself a favor and buy the 12-dvd set at toonsondvd.com because this show will never be given an official release. Proof: All the X-Men Evolution series is out on dvd, while the original is MIA.
  • This is the best X-Men show ever created.

This is the best X-Men show ever created. It at least tried to go by what the actual comic books did. The movies and some of the other X-Men show try putting characters together and it never works. This was a great show for me and it also dealt with serious topics and wasn't a kiddy show. It is filled with great action and a wonderful story line. It is a shame that it had to end.
  • It made top ten shows in my book.

I love this show. Ever since I was young I'd watch this show with my dad(he's a BIG comics fan), I have loved it all the way to the X2 movie. I enjoy any show or movie with super peopel in it. This show did an awesome job going from a comic book to an animated show. I stil watch the re-runs on Toon Disney. I miss this show and wish it lasted longer than it did.
  • The best anime of the 90's. Had a mix of villians that each one gave the X-Men a hard time. Was the cream of the crop, before the newer shows happened which now is silimar to this now. Bring it back.

Bring it back, it was best show of its ages. It had a good story lines, that where easy to follow and where you couldn't get lost. The attitudes of all characters of the X-Men where just a good enough of a mix to have them get together good. Together they where almost unstoppable, only they beatable. Each personality helped the team out. Overall still on of the greatest shows of the 90's for an anime.
  • X-Men is what I grew up on...but don't tell anybody.

I actually have pretty clear memories from when I was about 8 or 9 watching X-Men on Saturday mornings. After several more years, they were shown every day. I remember anticipating the next episode ("Only a couple more episodes until Nightcrawler"). After watching X-Men for a while, I actually believed that I could knock off objects from shelves with my mind (I thought I could do something similar to Jean Gray, which is kind of funny now).

My personal favorite episodes are the ones that mess with the space-time continuum. Bishop, Cable and Forge are really cool, and so was the virus. Anybody remember the virus?

Very good show and most of the episodes were pretty well done.
  • A Really Awsome Cartoon

A really awsome cartoon where back in the 90s they actually showed violence in there cartoons. Characters like Wolverine and the other X Men actually punched there opponants. The fights were great. The only thing theres kind of a problem with is the dialogue. The dialogue might seem kind of chessy but it was made in the 90s. The X Men have the coolest powers and I love there adventures and there villans were really awsome and really evil. There villans actually had there own goals and dreams. Like Magneto he was just doing what he thought was best for human kind. So it was nice to see Villans that had backstory
  • Professor X forms the team of the best. To save the world. Fight for there share for the world. They over come the odds agisnt Megneto, sinsiter , apoclips, and other terms of events.

Wow the legendary Xmen. Grown up at there prime. This is the best i seen of them.. I accauly like the the shows I followed it. This one ment alot. The most. Now i collect the marvel comics' book. As It the first taste for me ever saturday morning on Fox. Now that was good progaming on the part of marvel comics. I enjoyed it. Favourite villain The Juggernutt. It's the supper sterngth, beeing invonerable, and mythical. The stagments where well done!! the fueds with past life, also was precented well. My favourite of all tv shows in and of time. It is now 2009 i like marvel comics. As this one is the best to me.
  • I am highly addicted to this show!

Like I said, I am addicted. I stay up til 12:00 AM (CST) on Toon Disney to watch it. I really love it, except on Graduation Day, the Graphics were a little, strange. I think Morph had the best power :). I think Storm was the nicest. The rest are ok. Xavier is like the brain of them all as you may know. He is the leader. I wonder why he chose to do this. It's always a mystery about that to me. I hope one of the X-Men shows that I come across I will see why he even bothered!
  • Mutants fight for acceptance and struggle with their own demons.

I made sure I got my college age butt out of bed by 11am Eastern every Saturday morning to keep up with the X-Men. I loved Wolverine and Gambit and they way they seemed to constantly antagonize one another. This was a show that seemed to keep finding new ways to keep you on the edge of your seat. The show did get a bit shuffled around by Fox as their saturday morning package was still being shuffled. This was a show that if they brought back in reruns, I would find it and watch it with a fervor only reserved for football games.
  • Greatest show ever!!!

This show is so good. As a kid this was one of the only shows I never missed. I wish they kept making episodes but it was great while it lasted. I cant understand why they haven't put this show on dvd yet. I would buy it in a heart beat.
< 1 2 3 4