TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Xyber 9: New Dawn Forums

FOX (ended 1999)

Meh . . .

Luna_Akari

[1]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 11

I really don't post stuff for my health, you know . . . and nothing makes me lose interest in something quite as fast as not having anyone to talk about it with.

Oh, and my opinion on the final ep is over here:   http://shadowwolf75.livejournal.com/51271.html . . . don't feel like typing it again.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NoelCT

[2]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 6

I pretty much agree with you. The fight was nothing more than Jack and Machestro repeatedly zapping each other until Machestro goes crazy and Jack has a christ-like ascension of sorts. Just weird. I also agree that Rosalyn finally proved herself. I figured it would be a little hard to just step up and say "Daddy's dead, follow me." so I appreciate the difficutly she had to overcome.

What about the Machina? Maybe I turned my head for a second and missed it, but was there any resolution there? Are they still underground or did they all go up with the eye? And what was with Jack having the vision of all his friends doubting and accusing him? Talk about tagged on.

"Meh..." pretty much sums it up. Part 2 with the plight of Renard and the 'breaking' of Xyber was excellent, but this just felt rushed. Granted, it was better than we usually get for american saturday-morning cartoons. My guess is that the writers didn't have time for much more. Man, if only they had the traditional 65 episodes. That would have been fantastic.

In the end, though, it was great to revisit a series I thought I'd never see again. And not only that, but new episodes...and an ending! That alone made this worth while. Now, if someone would just put Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors back on the air.

Edited on 04/10/2007 11:09am

Luna_Akari

[3]Apr 10, 2007
    Nope, I don't think there was any resolution in regards to the Machina. There's a bit of a continuity error there too . . . when the fight starts there's a whole crapload of soldiers around the Eye of Darkness, but later on there's nobody else hanging around but Dakartar. Then again, considering how those energy bolts were flying around that room (particularly when they were bouncing off Machestro's barrier), if I was a Machina I probably would've hightailed it.

As for the vision Jack had, I think that whole area he was walking through was some kind of trap. There could've been something in all that mist that made him see stuff, I guess.

NoelCT

[4]Apr 11, 2007

"As for the vision Jack had, I think that whole area he was walking through was some kind of trap. There could've been something in all that mist that made him see stuff, I guess."

I know, I just don't understand why it was there. What was the point other than to fill time before the battle? They should have trimmed it and used the time for some more character stuff, like "Gee, what happened to the Machina?!"

Oh well. It could be that the episode ended differently to set up for future stories but, when it was cancelled, they chopped off the last 5 minutes and crammed in as much resolution as they could come up with at the time. Hence, the rushed, ill thought out conclusion to the battle and the semi montage that hurries us to the end.

Luna_Akari

[5]Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, at times the whole show could've used some tighter editing. That one Mick episode, what was the point other than getting the code key? I suppose they had to have an adventure with just Jack, Mick and Willy, but did it have to turn into a stupid treasure hunt?

Yeah, it did seem like the end was sorta thrown on there at the last second, didn't it? I didn't really like the part at the very end either, it was like they were telling us "The story's over, go away now" or something.

The only thing I did like about that battle, is that they finally told us why Machestro could throw those energy bolts around in the first place. Of course, I sort of guessed at it before, and got an even bigger hunch about it when they revealed Jack's battle armor. I think Jack's armor is ugly, though; it looks like it was mass produced, where Machestro's armor looks more like it was a custom job.

Wow, talk about going off on a tangent . . . that's what forums are for though, I guess.

NoelCT

[6]Apr 12, 2007

Ah, the Mick episode with the code key. I believe you are talking about the one with Mick's old friend who's oh-so cleverly named Slick. I think that one came about as a way to explore Mick's past, but the writers got sidetracked by the treasure hunt and forgot to throw some of that in. But, to be fair, over half the episodes involve a treasure hunt of some sort. It's just that, you know, most actually have something to do with the series. This was just a gold idol thing. Granted, the Heart of the Ancients was a little over the top, too, but it was at least surrounded by a good episode.

As for Machestro's armor, who knows, maybe it belonged to an ancient royal and Jack's was a basic soldier model. Nah, it's probably due to the fact that Machestro owned his longer and seems to have some knowledge of working ancient technology. So, as you said, it was a custom job.

Or, the most likely, his outfit was designed to be an outfit and was revealed as battle armor because a lightbulb went off in a writer's head and everyone else said "Why not?"

Luna_Akari

[7]Apr 12, 2007
    Well, we're really bashing on the writers today, aren't we? *GRIN* Yeah, there was a lot of treasure hunting in this show, I didn't really think of it that way before. The only decent thing about the code key ep was how awesome Willy was.

Heh, you're probably right about the armor too . . . it's like they never bothered to have an explanation for his powers, and then right at the end they realized it and said, 'Well, he has battle armor too!'

NoelCT

[8]Apr 12, 2007

Not so much bashing the writers as sympathising with the difficulty of doing a series, what with the tight schedule and content standards, things can get a little crazy now and then. The Mick episode was botched, plain and simple. But I applaud the majority of the series for its writing. Good characters, good overall structure (though most of the middle was "Let's find this piece. Now that piece. Now this piece.") and all under the supervision of Eric Luke who never headed a series before (and has yet to head another, which is a shame).

One more thought on the Machestro armor thing. They may have planned it from the beginning, since he had the retractable face plate in earlier episodes that kind of disappeared until the end, but never really found the time to mention it. My guess is that they meant to in later episodes, but the series was cut short and that was it.

Luna_Akari

[9]Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah, it's like any other series really, it has it's good parts and other times where the writers were out to lunch.

If they had more time, things probably would've been smoothed out a little more, but as it was they did the best they could. At least it didn't end up like Sonic SatAM or ReBoot, with a cliffhanger ending that'll never be resolved. Still don't like Xyber 9's ending, but at least it has one.

NoelCT

[10]Apr 13, 2007

Man, I hate it when a series ends on a cliffhanger.

Say, where'd everyone else go? I enjoy the the back and forth we've been having Luna, but I hoped to see more fans chiming in. I hope they weren't all turned away by the lackluster finale.

Anyone else out there with thoughts? Lurkers? Anybody?

rtwerd11

[11]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    Could you give me some details on how the final episode ended?

Luna_Akari

[12]Apr 13, 2007
    What, you didn't record/tivo/watch it? Shame on you! Well, the link in the very first post in this thread has part of what happened, and that's the part we're so disappointed about. After that, Jack goes over to where his friends are waiting, they congratulate him on his victory, and then they sorta mourn the loss of Xyber 9. But then one last bit of power comes out of that battle medallion and I guess it fixes Xyber.

Then afterwards, Jack uses the Xyber to bring that garden from way back in 'Heart of the Ancients' to the surface. The seeds from there scatter to the winds, and the world gradually regains it's plant life. And that's about it.

NoelCT

[13]Apr 14, 2007
    And then Jack rises up on a mountain, Xyber aloft, in classic He-Man fashion, and if there wasn't a crack of lighting behind him, there should have been. The Xyber logo closes. The end.