TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Yes, Dear Forums

CBS (ended 2006)

Why did they cancel this show?

SpaceWay2007

[1]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    I don't know if this was already discussed, but I was wondering why did they cancel this show. It's really funny and it had things going! So, if anyone know why they decided to cancel this show, please them here!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sara1104

[2]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    I would really like to know too.  Why no series finale?  We so deserve one!

Synetech

[3]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 22
    The kids were growing up and it was about couples raising small children. Its ratings just weren’t high enough because of its limited appeal, so it was canceled along with Still Standing. Both shows knew it was coming though, as did King of Queens, which is why they all wrote some episodes as series finales just in case (“Broken By the Mold”, “Still Graduating”, “Acting Out”, “China Syndrome”…)

Before complaining about CBS, people should pause for a moment to reconsider. CBS is actually the best network and doesn’t cancel things as ruthlessly as other networks. In fact, it gives them plenty of time and opportunity to improve their ratings instead of slitting their throats if they drop by even one viewer. That’s why a lot of their shows have multiple series finales, because they knew they may be canceled, and wrote an episode as such, but then got renewed.

gs78

[4]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    No! CBS just moves shows around like Yes, Dear and Still Standing until the ratings slip enough to justify cancelling them. TRUE, CBS renewed Yes, Dear in 2004, after cancelling it, and picked up the pilot for Still Standing, after FOX rejected it, but these shows could still be on the air! Especially, when you consider most of the new CBS shows [ that replaced them] in 2006-2007 tanked! In addition, The majority of new network sitcoms for 2007-2008 look just as bleak ! Even New Christine could only muster a mid season slot on the 2007-2008! THANK GOD FOR CABLE AND SYNDICATION! AT LEAST I CAN WATCH RERUNS OF THESE SHOWS!
    Edited on 08/01/2007 8:27am
    Edited 2 total times.

Dmluciano

[5]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 12
    yeh but i like closure on shows

game-master20

[6]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    i think that they stilll show yes dear on tbs at 4 pm

gidget_sparty

[7]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 7

I don't think they are new shows--only repeats.....

Very upsetting that CBS cancelled this show and Still Standing--both were original shows that were very funny!

gs78

[8]Aug 21, 2007
    I hear ya! I enjoy watching reruns of Still Standing and Yes, Dear. i know there are people that bash these shows, but they are funnier than most current sitcoms on TV! Granted, Yes, Dear was on for six seasons and SS for four, but these shows could have lasted longer, especially Still Standing! I guess CBS is content with Two and a Half Men, How I met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory [ if it becomes a hit] and New Christine [ if it becomes popular next mid season] as their only sitcoms! No room anymore for shows like Yes, Dear and Still Standing, but plenty of room for shows like Survivor, Big Brother, The Amazing Race, Power of 10 or whatever that show is called and a whole bunch of CSI's. At least I can still enjoy Still Standing, Yes, Dear and King Of Queens in reruns everyday. If not for NFL Football and college sports, I would not ever waste my time watching CBS!
    Edited on 08/20/2007 11:27pm
    Edited 3 total times.

gs78

[9]Sep 3, 2007
    CBS BLOWS! They could have given Yes, Dear another season: Same goes for Still Standing! Now, that King of Queens is done, I plan on watching only sports on CBS! The heck with their new shows! Same goes for the other networks!
    Edited on 09/02/2007 11:57pm

[10]Oct 17, 2007

Season 5 was origianlly slated to be the final season. Yes, Dear was hated, lampoonned, and laughed at by the critics from the beginning, while at the same time they were touting "Bette" as the most highly anticipated sitcom of the year. They must have been astonished when bette was cancelled the following March. Yes, Dear suffered the same fate as Becker & Still Standing by being shuffled to the eastern-Siberia of timeslots. It was shuffled around the schedule making it hard for people to keep up with the show. By the end of season 4 the ratings had dipped and at best the network felt that they could use it as a midseason replacement if they had to.

When the prospect of the show's cancellation was on the horizon, die-hard fans such as I watched the show and during the season 4 run garnered impressive enough ratings to give it a fifth season. The sweet taste of victory didn't last, it was paired up with Still Standing on Wednesday nights and the ratings quickly tanked. I believe Still Standing was the lowest rated show for the 2005 - 2006 season, bottoming out at 94th. CBS used both Yes, Dear and Still Standing as a filler in order to bolster new sitcoms. By the time February 2006 Sweeps came and went, it was announced that Yes, Dear would not return the following fall and S.S. would be put on hiatus with an undeterminied return date pending the results of CBS' newly launched sitcoms. "Courting Alex" was unleashed on the world and quickly bombed (Thank God), however with the success from the introduction of "The New Adventures of Old Chritstine" CBS determined that they would have a better return on an investment in"Christine". When the hiatus of S.S. was announced the writers, actors, and staff saw the writing on the wall and had very little hope of its return / renewal. This is the reason for the storyline in the finale, "Still Graduating". It gave a sense of closure in the face of the likley cancellation, but left it open just enough for the minute chance of its return.

Yes, Dear & Still Standing are much funnier that the sludge that is on now. I know that Two and A Half Men is the # 1 comedy on TV, but that's not saying much when there just aren't very many comedies on TV. (And before I'm accused of flaming or trolling or whatever - - - I watch and like T.A.A.H.M., I just don't like it as well as Yes, Dear and Still Standing.) I was able to stomach about 3 episodes of Rules of Engagement, and love The Big Bang Theory, but in all honesty, I miss Becker, Still Standing, & Yes, Dear more.

Moniquedee

[11]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 10
    I love this show. I don't know why it had ended. I really didn't know if CBS had given a real reason to end this show.

gs78

[12]Feb 21, 2008

I agree with you 100 percent; It wouldn't be so bad if the networks developed more sitcoms; but it is all about Reality TV and Drama at CBS, FOX< ABC, NBC and CW; Most nights there is not one sitcom on the entire evening. Hell; NBC aired three hours of Law and Order on Saturday Night. What? They can't buy a sitcom pilot from someone and give a shot!

For that Matter, How many CSI's do you need ? and as far as reality tv goes, CBS can flush shows like Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race and Kid Nation down the toilet;

OJParker

[13]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    People with those spy bots are so stupid. All they do is watch dumb reality shows like American Idol, CSI, and whatever NBC airs. They need to watch good shows like Still Standing and Yes Dear, but people can't stand shows with a comedic set up complimented by a good plot.

txgirl75

[14]May 21, 2008
    • level: 23
    Yes Dear and Still standing I loved those shows but cbs really messed up by moving them around allot so it's pretty much their fault why it got cancelled.

Xiolent

[15]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 3
    It probably got canceled because the show isn't funny, the characters are unattractive and boring, and the plot lines are trivial and repetative.

sayzach

[16]Sep 16, 2008
    stations figured out if they just spent 20 bucks to send a camera crew and 10 people to an island and told them to fight to the death people will watch that just as much as people will watch a good sitcom. and the only difference is that the sitcom costs millions in cast, sets, props, etc. while reality shows cost a nickel. CBS also figured out that they can have the same show just put it in a new city each night and people will watch it (CSI). i hate fox because all that they have is reality shows or if they do get a sitcom if it isnt immeaditly number 1 in rankings by week two it get canned. NBC i like thursday nights cuse they have 4 now 3 comedies in my name is earl, the office, 30 rock, and scrubs. with scrubs being cancelled by NBC this season. but for the rest of nights its just CBS exept of CSI its law and order. which they do the same show exept they just add a word to the end of it and say its a completley different show and people buy it. i agree that Yes Dear and still standing were getting tough with the kids going into there teens in yes dear and college in still standing, but they couldve pulled it off if they wanted too.

sayor85

[17]Sep 17, 2008
    still watch it when i got free time..sad it was cancelled..

kyfm

[18]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    but arent the syndicated versions edited just like every other show that goes into syndication

cactusjack39

[19]Nov 16, 2008
    • level: 30
    Nobody wanted to watch a fat couple with a nerdy couple.

GabeRuth2

[20]Mar 28, 2011
    the kids weren't that old when it ended! Even if they were getting older so what? There's still alot of storylines they could do with the kids! yes dear was a very good show it shouldn't have been cancelled I hate how there's practically nothing good to watch on tv these days! 10 years ago there was alot good shows to watch: friends yes dear, ELR 8 simple rules and still standing( I've only seen a couple episodes of SS but it doesn't seem like too bad of a show) I wish they wouldn't have cancelled these and cancelled other bad shows! but oh well!