Young Hercules

FOX (ended 1999)

gabfan31

Young Hercules Fan Reviews (6)

7.9
  • As young Hercules continues to grow and live through his teen years, his mother sends him to Cheiron's Academy of Warriors, where he meets two lifelong friends, Jason and Iolaus, and comes into conflict with fellow Gods, and learns the way of the warrior.

I remember a much more youthful time in my own life, where I would wake up in the morning, and my only motivation to be up and off to school was watching Batman: The Animated Series, and Young Hercules. Something appealed to me about the latter program, and it stuck with me, even ten years later, I always remembered the young Ryan Gosling in his Young Hercules attire, and I had no idea how much the image stuck with me since then until I saw the page for it on this site. Looking back on the episode recaps, I remember sitting and watching this show in my living room and thinking, God I love this show. It had an innocence to it that was apparent in the actions of Herc, Jason, and Iolaus, it had romance between Herc and Cyane, it had action everywhere, and perhaps best of all, it was a show you didn't have to tune into every week to understand it. You could show up out of the blue in front of your TV with a friend who never watched, sit down, and watch it, and you'll both be walking away from it without questions as to what one character meant, because it had open credits, started, it climaxed, and then there was the aftermath and close credits. It was simple and straightforward...unlike this review. It's a shame they cancelled the series, as it could've made stars out of all three actors. Luckily, Ryan Gosling made it big, obviously with help from this series, but it makes you wonder what would've happened if it hadn't been cut so quickly from the lineup for a show with no base (Mystic Knights of Tyrnanog or something). Bad move Fox.