Young Justice

Downtime

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Mar 04, 2011 on Cartoon Network

• This week we see a different kind of episode rather than the usual "fetch" quests. This is an episode centered on Aqualad that, after making some wrong choices, gets his team beaten by Clayface in a virtual simulation back at the tower.

This week we see a different kind of episode rather than the usual "fetch" quests that Batman sends the team out for. This is an episode centered on Aqualad that, after making some wrong choices, gets his team beaten by Clayface in a virtual simulation back at the tower.

From here on out he's sent back home to Atlantis by Batman in order to find himself and see if he's fit to command. But once he gets there he's met with changes that will help him make his decision. Back in Atlantis we find that he has a love interest that unfortunately for him has moved on with her life and chose Garth. We're also discovering the story of how Aqualad had become under the training of Aquaman in order to one day replace him if needed. Throughout the episode we find out more about the Atlantians, their ability to manipulate water, their strange arhitecture and a bit about the life of Aquaman himself.

We're introduced to a new villain from The Light this episode, Black Manta who appears to be a "commando" type with a suit filled with weapons and an army ready for conquering.

The Atlantians discovered a frozen creature that they're trying to study more about and that's what the Light are interested in causing them to set out an all out war for it. Led by Black Manta the assault is stopped by Aquaman with Garth's help resulting in the destruction of the mysterious creature.

Throughout the episode there are some nice bits of story for the whole team such as how life goes by inside the YJ headquarters for Miss Martian and Superboy, Kid Flash and the Flash family celebrating Jay's birthday, Robin putting pressure on himself for not being the leader and his relationship with Batman outside the superhero duty and last but not least we get to meet Artemis' mother that encourages her to find a place in the world.

In the end we see Aqualad retake his responsibilities as team leader, the mysterious creature slowly rebuilding itself and we're awarded with a short briefing of a new mission.