Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

is it time to say goodbye to this show?

pokemonmonmon

[1]Oct 31, 2012
    • level: 5

with cartoonnetwork losing their rights and playing around with the airdates its possible that this show may be coming to an end despite the great ratings. thats just my opinion but ive been watching cartoonnetwork long enough to know when a show is in danger of being cancelled and unfortunately, i think this show may be one of them :/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PlainsHobbit

[2]Nov 2, 2012
    • level: 3

I have to admit I have been having some of the same forebodings. And for the DCNation block as a whole. But "losing their rights"? What happened?

I was just on the CN website trying to check times and it listed YJ as being aired on Boomerang. What have you heard about that? I would be very sad about that because we don't get that channel. I would very depressed about losing these shows. The DCNation has been a bright-spot in my week.

Edited on 11/10/2012 12:27am

pokemonmonmon

[3]Nov 6, 2012

I agree with you completely. The only thing i know is that CartoonNetwork lost their rights to Milestone and as you may or may not know, Milestone owns rights to characters like Impulse and Static Shock who were both in this new season and i suppose it wouldn't be DC nation with just one show. So I don't know. Usually shows that end up on boomerang are cancelled or ended. In fact I don't remember a show being on Boomerang that was still airiing and if so it didn't last long. I hope that the epiodes at least leak online somewhere or SOMETHING

teenj12

[4]Nov 6, 2012
    • level: 26

Yea, I've heard rumors about YJ ending as well. I at least hope we get the rest of S2.

Edited on 11/06/2012 4:47pm

PlainsHobbit

[5]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 3

Thanks for the clarification on that Pokemonmonmon, though Impulse is a DC character not Milestone and I don't remember seeing Static. Icon and Rocket, however are most definitely Milestone characters and could create issues. Not that they haven't had character rights issues in the past. It's why they didn't have Wondergirl/Cassie until S2.

As for shows shown on Boomerang. I noticed that even episodes of Ben 10: Omniverse are showing there. I don't think that's ending just yet. So maybe all is not yet lost. Does look like they are making us wait till January for more DC stuff though (or 12/31 according to TV.com).

pokemonmonmon

[6]Nov 14, 2012

i dont get why they show dc stuff for like 3 weeks then go on hiatus again. dont they realize this is going to make them lose more viewers? oh well. i hope youre right and the show isnt ending.

roweantarts

[7]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 16
    The stuff about DC losing their losing their rights to Milestone would make sense, except that they've set the return date in January. Surely it would take considerably longer to work out something like that.

MajLorne

[8]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 21
    Well if it's really about the loss of Milestone characters, I would imagine they could just show the episode where the team rescues the people including Virgil and just end it there for him. I suppose it matters if the show already produced future episodes with Static and Rocket etc? If so, isn't there some exceptions? I mean the rights issue seems sudden given the season was still in production. I would hope there's some sort of agreement from Milestone to let the characters be used instead of suing DC. Plus why do it when the TV makes people aware of those characters = more recognition and profits for the comic books? I hope something can be worked out if this was the reason.

kanniballl

[9]Dec 10, 2012
    • level: 18

MajLorne wrote:
    Plus why do it when the TV makes people aware of those characters = more recognition and profits for the comic books? I hope something can be worked out if this was the reason.

I think it's because the source-material company (Milestone) would have an issue with DC/CartoonNetwork/etc making money from their work.

You're right: getting the air-time does increase the knowledge-of and popularity of their stuff. After all, Static and such are not as well known as other characters. Outside of the die-hard comic fans and experts, the only people that know about them a little bit are those that watched the Static Shock cartoon some years back.

That's one of the consequences of Trademarks... they keep people from profiting off your property without your permission (and a payment). Also so you keep control of your IP and ensure it's not misrepresented or depicted in a way that might hurt your bottom line.

For example, without Trademarks and Copyright... some random company could make a rated-R "Superman" cartoon where he's a rapist. Or a rated-R Batman series where Bruce Wayne is actually a full-blown pedophile and is having an illegal relationship with Robin.

Which are things DC would prefer NOT to air, since young kids are a core audience and I imagine the above might hurt their sales... just slightly.

Edited on 12/10/2012 6:34am
    Edited 3 total times.

pokemonmonmon

[10]Dec 11, 2012

well ive seen this happen to shwios in the past where they show an episode here and there, go on hiatus and either rerturn from hiatus or get cancelled. they havent even shown any reruns or ANYTHING they just stopped showing dc out of nowhere. hopefully when the show comes back it ends at its season finale and doesnt have a several month break before the new season premieres. playing around with airdates i usually a key factor in making shows lose ratings

kanniballl

[11]Dec 13, 2012
    • level: 18

pokemonmonmon wrote:

well ive seen this happen to shwios in the past where they show an episode here and there, go on hiatus and either rerturn from hiatus or get cancelled. they havent even shown any reruns or ANYTHING they just stopped showing dc out of nowhere. hopefully when the show comes back it ends at its season finale and doesnt have a several month break before the new season premieres. playing around with airdates i usually a key factor in making shows lose ratings

Alternatively, I HAVE seen shows where this kind of situation was more of a fluke... and it went on for a couple of seasons more.

But... they are the exception more than the rule.

I really have to wonder what the heck is going on. It was a solid show and to see it die such an poor death is sad. Getting canceled is one thing: all shows get canceled. But to be in THIS kind of situation, just stinks.

Gislef

[12]Dec 15, 2012
    • level: 101
    Since new episodes will be back on 1/5/13, it's kind of a moot point for the moment...

pokemonmonmon

[13]Dec 17, 2012

i made a thread about that and it disappeared. whathappened to it?

roweantarts

[14]Jan 1, 2013
    • level: 16

:
    2. Icon was originally one of the abducted along with the two Captains, the two Supers and Wonder Woman. I was forced to rewrite him out of issues 21-25, and I do think it loses something in terms of chemistry and interaction. Same with Rocket, who was with Zatanna throughout. But NOTHING was lost from a plot standpoint. The story didn't change. Oh, and again, just to be VERY clear: this stuff only effects the comic, not the television series. All the episodes are already animated and approved. CN's decision on when and where to air the series has nothing to do with DC's decision about the comic.
    From Ask Greg, regarding the tie-in comic, which pretty much confirms that DCs loss of milestone rights has nothing to do with this hiatus.

Edited on 01/01/2013 5:00am

pokemonmonmon

[15]Jan 2, 2013

ok i thought as much. now the next question is why only show it for 3 weeks and then go on another hiatus? seriously thats just bad planning

RaizenYusuke

[16]Jan 5, 2013
    • level: 28

It is worse than that. They only showed 2 new episodes and changed their schedule at the very last minute that all guides couldn't be changed and the episode was released online. This show keeps going on long hiatuses and it is getting tired. It is a great show, but fans are going to get tired or forget about it if it goes on 3 to 6 months breaks. At least this time we were told it would come back in January fairly early. The last break CN didn't tell the creators/writers or fans when it would return until late.

CN needs to organize itself better. The last hiatus was the very last minute. The show returned now. I hope the season gets to play out before the next long hiatus.

pokemonmonmon

[17]Jan 6, 2013

i agree with you 100%

beowulf579

[18]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 59
    It's been cancelled?! Why?
    I haven't got to see all of the show but it looked beautiful and seemed really good.

pokemonmonmon

[19]Jan 30, 2013

just more stupidity from cartoonetwork. at least theyre letting the rest of the season air before cancelling it

RaizenYusuke

[20]Jan 30, 2013
    • level: 28
    I suspect had the show stayed on Friday nights instead of reviving Cartoon Planet this series would still get ratings. Notice how Batman the Brave and the Bold went on for so long and it was on Fridays. If they got rid of Cartoon movies on Saturdays and put DC Nation on Saturday nights it might have done better.