Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Auld Acquaintance (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/21/12 episode
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

slayme3

[2]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 13

A subbed version of this ep is already up on youtube for those who can't wait. I'm gonna wait.

DBTrilogy100

[3]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 7

After a long wait, Young Justice's Season 1 Finale finally airs! Written by Greg Weisman, himself!

*It's New Year's Eve in Washington, D.C. and Red Arrow is trying to escape from the Starro-infected Justice League!

*Back at Mount Justice, the young heroes celebrate their victory from the previous episode, but are still weary of how the villains have been receiving their information as none of them are the mole...

*Batman and Red Tornado (with the team ignorant of the two being mind controlled) reveal to the young heros that Red Arrow was the mole and information that we, the audience, don't know. So "Red Arrow" was actually a clone of Roy made by Cadmus this whole time! The real Speedy is probably still trapped there somewhere! Of course, the two League members aren't being honest about what really happened to Vandal Savage...

*Batman leaves, but Red Tornado remains and is about to infect the young heroes...until he inexplicably malfunctions! Zatanna mentions how she faintly felt the mystical aspects of the Starro pieces (thanks to Klarion's enhancements from Insecurity) and has an idea of what to do with Red Tornado, while some of the team goes to search for Red Arrow!

*Also from the above mentioned episode, the team try to download Red Tornado into his "civilian identity android", John Smith! That means Red Tornado will be free of the mind control! But then, Black Canary shows up...

*Red Tornado is fully downloaded into John Smith just in time to warn the young heroes! They also manage to know out the Starro-infected Black Canary and escape before more League members arrive!

*Aqualad manages to find Red Arrow and convince him to trust him. So only Red Arrow knows of Aqualad's crushed heart from Down Time. We also receive re-confirmation that Aqualad considers Red Arrow to be one of his best friends.

*Red Arrow fills Aqualad in of how he was the mole. There definitely was a sleeper agent, good thing Cadmus didn't have time to do the same to Superboy! It turns out Sports Master's "Broken Arrow joke" from Targets was actually Red Arrow's shutdown code! He also confirmed that his main programing was turned off after he fulfilled the Light's task for him and he escaped the Watch Tower because Savage wanted to bask in his victory!

*Red Tornado fills in the group he's with that he had enough time to store "back up data" from being Starro-infected and the malfunction was a failsafe to keep him from infecting others! We also get to here Starro's name mentioned within the show itself!

*The two groups reunite and, as Robin puts it, "compare notes". Miss Martian assures the guilt ridden Red Arrow that she can eliminate any linguring Cadmus programing from him. Uh oh, Black Canary regained conscious!

*Vandal Savage is still in the Watch Tower, but know he's joined by fellow Light Member, Klarion! The 3 League Members with the team arrive, with the 2 who were freed seemingly possessed again...

*Nope, Klarion can tell who is and who isn't Starro-infected! Black Canary was somehow freed but know all 3 are possessed once more!

*Vandal Savage finally reveals what the Light's master plan is and why the group has that name! He also explains how they tried to cover all possible categories and the careful planning they've made. Though he's been called "the first among equals" by Greg Weisman, he still comes off as the group's leader to me, though it would make sense I'd get that impression, with him being the oldest and all that.

*Fortunately, they were able to make sure the Young Justice Team could sneak in without being detected by Savage or the Light! It also looks like Aquaman's wife and the scientist from Infiltrator were able to come up with an antidote for the Starro pieces! Makes senses as you gotta fight "magic science" with "magic science"!

*The battle royal of the Young Justice Team, Wolf, Sphere and the freed Justice League members against the Starro-infected Justice League Members was a Crowning Moment of Awesome!

*Zattana tries to remove Dr. Fate's helmet from her (unconscious) father, but as expected, it is magically bound to him. Que the Tear Jerker moment.

*Miss Martian is forced to use her White Martian Form and superior psychic powers against her Starro-infected "uncle"! His reaction is quite chilling (no "anti-pun" intended)!

*Superboy holds his "father" down to give Robin a chance to pull Kryptonite on him! Unlike his mentor/father-figure, Robin is hesitant to use it with his Kryptonian friend around, but Superboy assures him it must be done!

*Savage knows when to fold his cards and retreats with Klarion. The latter says they could have taken them down, but the former mentions that they can't loose the Watch Tower and still need the League, pointing out the latter's chaotic nature as a disadvantage for these circumstances.

*After the 2 Light Members retreat, it becomes New Year's Day! Superboy and Miss Martian kiss again, Kid Flash and Artemis share their first kiss (and finally accept their feelings for each other) and Zattana gives the Boy Wonder a big kiss! Definitely a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming!

*Superman approaches Superboy and not just congratulate him, but reveals his secret identity to him and mentions he finds Superboy's civilian identity to be fitting! At long last, the Man of Steel finally accepts his "son"! Another Crowning Moment of Heart Warming!

*Red Arrow is still grieving of the past events and wants to find Speedy/the real Roy Harper! Black Canary assures him that Guardian is trying his best to find him, as well.

*Meanwhile, we see the other 5 Light Members attack Guardian, the Genomorphs and the other Cadmus employees, taking Match and the real Roy with them!

*Back at the Watch Tower, the heroes realize that they were 16 hours worth of time where no one (except the Light, probably), knows what a fraction of the Justice League members were doing. Based on the hints given, it's doesn't seem like anything good...

Well, it took longer then any of us expected or wanted, but we finally finished Season 1 of Young Justice! It was well worth the wait and a truly awesome episode! It'll be interesting to see what will go down in Season 2!

Jemadari

[4]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 12

Maybe it's just my inner 'Darwinian psychopath' thinking out loud but Savage's manifesto?mantra?master plan? isn't without it's points

Klarion: I wouldn't lose control

Cat: Meow

Klarion: okay, yeah I bring the chaos

easily my favorite dialogue of the series

The New Year's celebrations was a nice touch

In all my years of watching tv this was easily my favorite season of anything, there were only 1 or 2 episodes I didn't absolutely love

Kindredtown

[5]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 3

i loved the episode and it was probably the best out of the whole season. when robin fought batman and superboy fought superman i almost had a heart attack. that was really amazing. on the commercial afterwards it seems like we will get another robin blue beetle and wondergirl in season 2. and curse my phone for not letting me shift and alt.

RaizenYusuke

[6]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 28

It was a great episode, but it felt rushed at the end. The way they just happened to have their friends/allies make a cure off-screen. The fight with the League felt kind of easy too. But I understood why it was. They were being controlled by the witch boy they could not ue their powers to their full extent as KF said. Savage does no want to conqueror he world, he just wants the JL to stp saving i, so it can evolve? That is different from DCAU version. The missing 16 hours is sure to have big impact next season. Roy being a clone this entire time was unexpected. I just thought Guardian uder the Light's control somehow took control of him.

Cassie and Beastboy are entering the series. I'll admit I was expecting Donna since they used Dick, Wally, and Roy. Is YJ: Invasion still the mini-series or is it going to lead into the second season? Judging from the previews from today it sounds like JL is not trying to stop the invasion or failed to stop it. It makes me wonder if this has to do with the 16 missing hours. Good first season, even if it did take a whole year to get through it with two long breakes. I hope it does not take a whole year for CN to show the second season.

MajLorne

[7]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 21
    I will say I was satisfied with how everything all worked out in the end and how even though the YJ got a victory and saved the JL. Also interesting is Savage and the Light still has 'phase 2', so it's not over yet. I eagerly await what happened to the 6 members during that 16 hr period. I wonder if it meant they spread more of Starro's spores or what?

And wth happened to Speedy? Did Cademus chop off his arm below the elbow? That's just wrong...

My main dislike are the va for Klarion, I just hate the 'lisping', it makes him sound a little like Daffy duck. I liked the va from the B:GK/TAS. Also, maybe I got my hopes too high about the fights in the tower. I was kinda expecting something 'intense' like the JLU episode 'Panic in the Sky' [supergirl vs Galetea, enough said ]. So, despite the overwhelming odds, the kids didn't get too beat up against their mentors and everything came together a little too neatly in the final 10 min of the show.

Kindredtown

[8]Apr 21, 2012

i actually kind of agree with the shortness of the fightm but what much can they do with 22 minutes? They could have extended it to a one-hour slot since it wouldn't interfere with their other DC show. Then the fight scene would have been truly epic and not rushed due to how many people they had fighting.

sion8

[9]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 7
    Love this episode and well I got to say I did not see coming the whole Roy actually been a clone at all.

MajLorne

[10]Apr 21, 2012

Kindredtown wrote:

i actually kind of agree with the shortness of the fightm but what much can they do with 22 minutes? They could have extended it to a one-hour slot since it wouldn't interfere with their other DC show. Then the fight scene would have been truly epic and not rushed due to how many people they had fighting.

Yeah, true. I still think that if the show wasn't restricted to just 22min, they could've done a bit more. But that said, I do admit I was probably expecting more given the 'one sided' match ups here compared to the epic fighting from JLU's Panic in the Sky.

Edited on 04/21/2012 10:09pm

RaizenYusuke

[11]Apr 22, 2012
    If this had been a two parter it would not have felt so rushed. The ending surprised me with all the hook ups like KF/Aretmis and Robin/Zatana. They were hinted at all season, but it still unexpected they would do all of this at the end of the season.

macabre6

[12]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 4
    Good season finale, but I completely agree with it feeling rushed and should have been a two-parter, with the first being devoted to the exposition, and the second an all out action-fest. The kissing, I mean, EVERYONE? You know, I get the "fanservice" thing, but sometimes it doesn't always work when they try this hard, that it goes against logic, I mean, Superboy/Miss Martian and Kid Flash/Artemis, fine, there was build up for the latter, but Robin and Zatanna? Aqualad and Rocket? Okay, there was a brief scene in the last episode where she looked at him, I think they should've waited a little for the last two couples, had some build up and all that, but whatever. The Batman vs. Robin fight was awesome though, wish it could've lasted longer. At the end, it was nice to see the real Speedy, everybody's favorite junkie with erectile dysfunction, hey, sex isn't everything, mellow out Roy, but then there was the stuff with his kid and I doubt they'll include ANY of that in this show, and fine, it became a mess in the comics anyway.

tansniper

[13]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 5

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    If this had been a two parter it would not have felt so rushed. The ending surprised me with all the hook ups like KF/Aretmis and Robin/Zatana. They were hinted at all season, but it still unexpected they would do all of this at the end of the season.
    haha yeah, i was like damn go zatana, lol =D the KF was about time. but yeah i feel its all having fun. i think the main hook up well be kf/aretmis and Miss M/superboy. i guess they now have more little moments with kf/aretmis ,showing how they are going to work on it. but the robin/zatana i think just a phase =D but yeah great episode..yeah quick..but i understand..they want to get everything out. i bet season 2 will have some nice build ups. i mean they left so many open plots now =D

Kindredtown

[14]Apr 22, 2012

Is everyone forgetting that on New Year's you're supposed to kiss someone? I don't think the kisses were too unexpected due to the time that they did it. It's probably the reason why the writers had the season finale on New Year's Eve.

MajLorne

[15]Apr 22, 2012
    tansniper wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    haha yeah, i was like damn go zatana, lol =D the KF was about time. but yeah i feel its all having fun. i think the main hook up well be kf/aretmis and Miss M/superboy. i guess they now have more little moments with kf/aretmis ,showing how they are going to work on it. but the robin/zatana i think just a phase =D but yeah great episode..yeah quick..but i understand..they want to get everything out. i bet season 2 will have some nice build ups. i mean they left so many open plots now =D

Based on only the tv shows, it seems like Zatana has ties to the Batman characters, so since this version she's a kid instead of an adult, I don't mind her hooking up with Robin. I would hope they'd bring Batgirl in for at least one episode. Also based on the promos, looks like we'll finally see Wonder Girl, who looks more like Supergirl with the Wonder Woman attire.

RaizenYusuke

[16]Apr 22, 2012
    The New Year's tradition sort of helps, but the only kis that felt like it could just be blown off as a tradition was Aqualad and Rocket's. I hope they keep relationships down to two for the moment Superboy/MM and KF/Artemis and take more time to develop Zatana before hooking her up with Robin.

The world's finest vs the worldest junior finest is still good a second viewing. Even mind controlled Supes and Bats were kicking ass. I loved when Robin blurted out how he and Superboy were not going to win this one on one. I felt this was the most rewarding fight of the finale. Not that the other fights were bad it is just that this one was a level above the others. I could have sworn they showed Batgirl in the promos. My eyes may be playing tricks on me. Wonder Girl is a blonde with blue eyes much like Supergirl, so I can understand why they look similar.

tansniper

[17]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 5
    MajLorne wrote:
    tansniper wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Based on only the tv shows, it seems like Zatana has ties to the Batman characters, so since this version she's a kid instead of an adult, I don't mind her hooking up with Robin. I would hope they'd bring Batgirl in for at least one episode. Also based on the promos, looks like we'll finally see Wonder Girl, who looks more like Supergirl with the Wonder Woman attire.

i would love for barb to pop out. it would pretty cool if they have the whole bat girl set up .As well they apply how she has her birds of pray team already. mawhahaa. =D

i want to see some cass ,stephany.huntress,Oracle wait..she is oracle haha =D anyway that would be cool.

MajLorne

[18]Apr 23, 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind an all girls team for one episode. I know Zatana and Artemis had a team up, but that's just the two of them and not really a fair fight.

thribs

[19]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 8

Boy, that Roy Harper just doesn't catch a break. First losing his arm in "Cry for Justice" and now this? Ha!

macabre6

[20]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 4
    thribs wrote:

Boy, that Roy Harper just doesn't catch a break. First losing his arm in "Cry for Justice" and now this? Ha!

Yes, it became pathetic and laughable how they piled on with Roy's tragedies and problems. First he was a junkie, then he quit, then his young daughter died horribly, then he got erectile dysfunction, then he became a junkie again, then he lost his arm, then he killed a cat(if I remember correctly)and finally Batman kicked him in the face.

I love DC, but man, they have published a fair amount of junk. It was also revealed that Hal Jordan had a threesome with Huntress and some other woman in "Cry for Justice" with Green Arrow going "well played". Come on now, how infantile can you be? I just HATE that comic, stealing a line from Mark Kermode: "It's.....AWFUL!!!"