Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Beneath (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 25, 2012
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/26/12 episode "Beneath" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DBTrilogy100

[2]May 26, 2012
    • level: 7

The female members of the team get the spotlight in this week's episode, the first episode to be written by Greg Weisman's partner on the show, Brandon Vietti.

*The episode begins with a teenage boy skateboarding to a bus station, who then pulls out his cell phone...

*He called Jaime/Blue Beetle! He called to say "goodbye" as he wants to run away to Huston, Texas because of someone named "Maurice". We also find out that his name is "Tai".

*After Tai hangs up...someone sneaks up on him!

*Jaime flies to the bus station (much to the Scarab's annoyance), but he has missed the bus. He doesn't notice Tai's skateboard...

*Miss Martian, Batgirl, Bumble Bee and Wonder Girl are all on their way to Bialya, the home turf of Light Member 4, Queen Bee. Nightwing explains that it is because of her powers that he has sent the female members to undertake this mission. We also learn that Psimon is still recovering from his last experience with Miss Martian back in Image.

*Wonder Girl is eager to take down the bad guys, but her teammates task her with keeping watch while the others sneak in as a stealth mission is the best way to approach it. I admit that I am unfamiliar with Wonder Girl (both, Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark).

*Jaime pays Tai's mom a visit, explaining what Tai planned to do as well as how he found out that he never got on the bus. Tai's mom thinks he's just gone to blow off some steam and then the door opens...

*We finally meet this Maurice we've been hearing about. After only a few minutes of screen time, he already establishes himself as a really big jerk (which is putting it mildly). His dialogue, as well as Tai's mom's, definitely has the undertones of abuse (both child and domestic). You can always count on Greg Weisman and his team to handle these serious subject matters.

*Despite not enjoying it, Wonder Girl does keep watch and notices something important...Psimon ended up making a full recovery within the timeskip after all!

*Given Psimon's presence, telepathic communication could prove hazardous, so Wonder Girl performs stealth in order to get to Miss Martian to tell her.

*Luckily, she succeeds and Miss Martian praises her. But as the young hero makes her exit, she is caught by Devastation (who finally speaks)! Mammoth, Shimmer and Icicle, Jr. are also a part of this specific scheme!

*Although Wonder Girl manages to escape capture, Batgirl doesn't fair as well!

*Jaime's next stop is visiting a man by the name of "Mr. Long Shadow", whose name is a reference to the Justice League (Unlimited) expy of Apache Chief. Hmm, I wonder if Tai might end up becoming this show's equivalent to him.

*Mr. Long Shadow pausing Jaime everytime he drank water was pretty funny.

*The Light minions are planning to send Batgirl and some other young people to a "Partner" (presumably, the same one we've been hearing about in the previous 2 episodes). They also know of the fact tat a few members of the Justice League are presently not on Earth. The way Devastation complementing Psimon's brain was hilarious!

*Miss Martian actually didn't use "extreme measures" on Shimmer, instead just knocking her out and assuming her form.

*Bumble Bee shocking Batgirl to wake her up and the latter's reaction was pretty funny, I must admit.

*Miss Martian reveals herself to Psimon and the 2 psychics decide to commence with "Round 3"!

*Psimon instructs his teammates to attack Miss Martian as he distracts her in the mind realm, Icicle, Jr. agreeing with Devastation about Psimon's brain was also funny, as was Bumble Bee distracting Psimon!

*The Young Justice Team manage to foil this scheme, then again, the episode isn't over just yet...

*Jaime believes Maurice is keeping Tai locked in a shed, but before he can find out, Maurice catches him! He denies taking Tai, but the young hero doesn't believe him.

*Jaime finds out that the shed is full of illegal items, Maurice yells at him to forget what he saw and reasserts that he knows nothing of Tai's where abouts as he storms off.

*Both Jaime and the Scarab realizes that he is telling the truth and decide to tell the cops of the illegal items to give Maurice what he deserves.

*It just hit me that this is the first episode that Superboy is absent in, thus meaning that there isn't a single character who has appeared in every episode of the show now.

*Queen Bee is not pleased with their plan foiled, but informs her underlings that they were able to get another set of young people to send to the "Partner", including Tai! Is that Virgil Hawkins I see?

Another great episode! It was awesome to have the female members of the Young Justice Team receive the focus in the episode! Blue Beetle is also really winning me over and is becoming one of my favorites! With this episode done, we are now one-quarter of the way finished with Season 2/Young Justice: Invasion!

Edited on 05/26/2012 9:49pm

MajLorne

[3]May 26, 2012
    • level: 21
    I loved it because of the all female team, but was kinda disappointed there wasn't more 'fighting' But I did enjoy seeing Batgirl make NW feel uncomfortable trying to explain why it had to be an female team for just this mission. Perhaps a future all female group in a future ep?

Blue Beetle side story was ok, but didn't really interest me as much. I am wondering why the light is rounding up kids for. Maybe to send to Granny goodness on apokalips?

readapost

[4]May 26, 2012
    • level: 14
    MajLorne wrote:
    I loved it because of the all female team, but was kinda disappointed there wasn't more 'fighting' But I did enjoy seeing Batgirl make NW feel uncomfortable trying to explain why it had to be an female team for just this mission. Perhaps a future all female group in a future ep?

Blue Beetle side story was ok, but didn't really interest me as much. I am wondering why the light is rounding up kids for. Maybe to send to Granny goodness on apokalips?
    I liked the all female team. Batgirl doing the ninja thing, and the callback to the fact the Bat family can't fly. Though I'm wondering as to why Icicle Jr is still so young?

Kindredtown

[5]May 26, 2012
    • level: 3

I liked the episode and it seems as if my guess was correct. Blue Beetle is really the main character/member of this season. Last season being Superboy. I liked the episode, but mostly the whole female team thing. The Blue Beetle storyline was ok as well to me. The Scarab is as its supposed to be still kill and destruction savvy at the moment. And yeah I guessed that Maurice was woman beater as well from the way Tai's mom kept reacting.

I have to re-watch the episode to see if Virgil was there, but if he was that would be cool. And I wonder if their plan is to send the kids as host boddies for Scarabs.

DonaldCowie

[6]May 26, 2012
    • level: 1
    i know most peaple think that darkseid is behide the invation. but same thing in me thinks it migth be the Reach who are the said partner to the ligth at moment . but i willing to be proved wrong.

RaizenYusuke

[7]May 26, 2012
    • level: 28

I think Savage has an alliance with both Darkseid and the Reach. I am in the minority here, but I liked BB story as much as the girls. I thought it was a good way to get to know Jamie and how he differed from the Batman the Brave and Bold's incarnation of the character. I liked his back and forth with the scarab. The all girl's team was pretty awesome too, because we got to see more of the new characters and get to know them like Wonder Girl. I really like her the bes of the girls. I have seen Babs so many times and this one seems similar to the other ones, so she is probably my least favorite of the girls right now. But by no means does that mean I dislike Babs, just that I liked the other 3 girls more in this episode. Bee I think works better than Rocket for most people, since a few on here found Rocket too stereotypical. Bee does not seem that way. I like her too. Again I am in the minority here, but I am loving he new Miss Martian who is being brutal lately. Simon seems to have developed a fear of her as well.

Ok so what does Savage need with kids now? Do the Reach use natives to make an army of BBs to invade their own planet for them or just use the one BB to do their work? Or is Savage using the kids for something. Starting to feel like this plan is overly complicated even more than the Cadimus plot in JLU and I am starting to worry it may start to fall under its own weight.

TylerA46

[8]May 26, 2012
    • level: 11

I do not get, why different groups or members don't communicate. If BB says, his friend is missing, the girls say, we found some missing teens, they could put 1+1 together. And this happens in every episode.

edmasterchaos

[9]May 26, 2012
    • level: 41

TylerA46 wrote:

I do not get, why different groups or members don't communicate. If BB says, his friend is missing, the girls say, we found some missing teens, they could put 1+1 together. And this happens in every episode.

Well, maybe next episode that'll happen.

Anyway, the A-Plot was okay, but the B-Plot... reminds me that BB is too white here, and it annoyed me that we got a new character exclusively for the show rather than someone from Jaime's cast. I know Jaime isn't the most known character and his friends are even less known, but would it have killed them to put Paco as the kidnapped person and instead of spending the B-Plot on some wife-beating pirate, show us Jaime's side characters as he pieces together what happened?

Flashheat

[10]May 26, 2012
    "Apache Chief." Oh good lord you're kidding.

I'm suspecting the kids are being sent off to the Reach to be implanted with Beetle armor thingies.

antilifecu

[11]May 26, 2012
    • level: 6
    I like the female character team too. Especially how well Batgirl's uniform fit her *blushing*. I didn't see coming the way they saved the plane. Good plan B Miss Martian so, good work writers. I kind of like how dark Miss Martian character is behaving; it reminds me Raven. I haven't read BB comic. I don't know much about him. I only know what I read here and the tv show. But I can tell you that the Scarab is a curse. What a pain in the neck. It just wants to blast everybody. Since the main story line has been around BB lately, I do think the Reach is the Light's new sponsor. I also think the kidnapped kids will be part of an army of Scarabs. Did all the kidnapped kids belong to the same ethnicity? If so, I wonder what that has to do with the reason of their kidnapping. Someone asked why Icicle Jr. is still so young. This is just speculation. I think he might age to a slower pace due to his body condition. Cold keeps your body's cells preserved. Like cryogenics?

readapost

[12]May 26, 2012
    antilifecu wrote:
    I like the female character team too. Especially how well Batgirl's uniform fit her *blushing*. I didn't see coming the way they saved the plane. Good plan B Miss Martian so, good work writers. I kind of like how dark Miss Martian character is behaving; it reminds me Raven. I haven't read BB comic. I don't know much about him. I only know what I read here and the tv show. But I can tell you that the Scarab is a curse. What a pain in the neck. It just wants to blast everybody. Since the main story line has been around BB lately, I do think the Reach is the Light's new sponsor. I also think the kidnapped kids will be part of an army of Scarabs. Did all the kidnapped kids belong to the same ethnicity? If so, I wonder what that has to do with the reason of their kidnapping. Someone asked why Icicle Jr. is still so young. This is just speculation. I think he might age to a slower pace due to his body condition. Cold keeps your body's cells preserved. Like cryogenics?
    Wow! This Reminds me of Halo.

DBTrilogy100

[13]May 26, 2012
    • level: 7

readapost wrote:

Though I'm wondering as to why Icicle Jr is still so young?

antillifecu wrote:

Someone asked why Icicle Jr. is still so young. This is just speculation. I think he might age to a slower pace due to his body condition. Cold keeps your body's cells preserved. Like cryogenics?

It seems as though antillifecu's theory is accurate as Greg Weisman confirmed on his Q&A Website that Icicle Sr. was 85 years old in Season 1, but he is physically/biologically 50 years old due to the time he was "on ice". Here is a link to the answer: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=13803

Edited on 05/26/2012 9:57pm

MajLorne

[14]May 27, 2012
    • level: 21

cool to know Greg has gargoyles in that link. I loved that show. Whatever show he does, including Spectacular spiderman, they've been very good story wise. I can only hope this show gets a 3rd season to be his longest series of the 3. I'd gladly watch any show he's involved in. God knows the new Spiderman show reflects how much it misses his input.

antilifecu wrote:
    I like the female character team too. Especially how well Batgirl's uniform fit her *blushing*.
    Lol, her costume was certainly 'distracting' I'm also kinda surprised she doesn't have a sort of body armor type uniform the Robins have/had. It looks more like regular 'clothes'. If she's with the league, I would think she'd get better protection/uniform vs something homemade. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least batman and nightwing knows who BG is and can provide her a new costume.

As for wondergirl, dunno much about her, but she certainly reminds me more of Supergirl in JLU in being the headstrong action first type. So to me WG is just SG so WW can have someone as her protege. Not complaining, just saying that's what WG seems to be.

Edited on 05/26/2012 11:40pm

Jemadari

[15]May 27, 2012
    • level: 12

The more I learn about the Scarab the more I like it, so the scarab wanted to kill the grandfather for "knowing too much", has it always been so gung-ho about people neutralizing people who know of it's existence?

As I was a big fan of Jr's interactions with SB and MM while in Belle Reve I liked that he brought it up

Never heard of Wonder Girl until this season and don't know much about Wonder Woman, I only watched JL sporadically but I saw the the DC animated WW movie and from that WG just doesn't really seem like a daughter of Aries, I think I would like her a bit more is she were less modern

Edited on 05/27/2012 2:00am

DarthFreeza

[16]May 27, 2012
    • level: 23

Blue Beetle seems to become more and more likeable with every episode. As someone who never has seen much of Blue Beetle, I amthoroughly enjoying his relationship with the Scarab. Easily becoming one of the funniest and most interesting parts of the series.
    And it's a rather uncommon occassion where I like both the main plot and the side plot of one episodes but I enjoyed the Alpha team plot as well as the Blue Beetle story. My only complaint is that we didn't really get to know Batgirl. She seemed like a bit of a cliche (the feminist comment at the beginning, damsel in distress, grabbing and congradulatingWonder Girl at the end...and yeah that's about all she does). I felt that we got a pretty decent look at Bumble Bee, Wonder Girl, Blue Beetle, and even some focus on Miss Martian but little of Batgirl. Hopefully we'll get to know her a bit better later on.

antilifecu

[17]May 27, 2012
    • level: 6
    readapost wrote:
    antilifecu wrote:

Halo???? why???
    Edited on 05/27/2012 8:32am

readapost

[18]May 27, 2012
    antilifecu wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    antilifecu wrote:

Halo???? why???
    Cryogenics like the Cryo tube Master chief fell asleep in, or the Blue Beetle beetle suit haveing a ai.

RaizenYusuke

[19]May 27, 2012
    • level: 28

I didn't really think about it until Darth mentioned it, but Batgirl did seem a bit stereotypical. However, I felt we got a good look at this version of Batgirl's personality, especially when we compare it to this series Tim Drake. He was a bit bland in his first appearance and has yet to be given spot light yet. On the other hand Tim seems like he is still not comfortable as Robin yet (perhaps he is starting out) and is nervous and by the rules guy that makes him seem bland. Batgirl seems like she has been doing this for some time and has no problem being herself around other heroes. Tim needs to break out of his shell the next time we see him, so we can get a feel for who he is.

Wonder Girl shares some qualities with DCAU Supergirl. It is probably due to her fangirl/energetic personality which is comparable to Kara's I want to prove myself upbeat personality in DCAU. Wonder Girl 2/Cassie was a big fan of Wonder Woman, a fangirl of hers when she started out. This version seems to be following that mindset. She is excited that she is actually WW's sidekick and gets to fight with the other heroes.

Geodude

[20]May 28, 2012
    • level: 2
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Batgirl seems like she has been doing this for some time and has no problem being herself around other heroes.

Well there's that and the fact that she was talking to Nightwing. She probably knows who he is by now, which means she'd be comfortable teasing him because they've been friends for at least 6 years at this point.