Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Bloodlines (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jun 1, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 6/2/12 episode "Bloodlines" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ArtistUnknown

[2]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 2
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, that episode was so crash.

Super duper excited for everything that's coming up.

bnjay29

[3]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 5

Before he even put on the costume at the beginning of the episode, somehow I just knew that we were being introduced to Bart Allen. I liked the episode in that it showed more of the relationship between Barry and Wally. We never did see just how far apart they are in power and ability. With Bart showing him up, and his comment about the genetics of his bloodline, I would add that as yet another reason why Wally would want to retire. But then he is destined to become the new Flash one day so he must find a way to hone his abilities right?

Being that the episode is about Bloodlines, I understand the focus on the Speedsters as well as Red Arrow. But personally I feel that both plot lines deserved their own focus in separate episodes. Other than that, I enjoyed this episode.

TylerA46

[4]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 11

These guys are always one step behind the bad guys.

RaizenYusuke

[5]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 28
    Big surprise Vandel Savage's big plan ends up destroying the Earth. Impulse finally appears and with him the big 4 of YJ/TT are here, Superboy, Robin, Wonder Girl, and Impulse. Great episode, but Roy and Jade make even Batman's parenting style look perfect. Is Wally losing his powers? He seemed slower than he was in season 1.

Kindredtown

[6]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 3

I really liked this episode. I think Bart is voiced by the same voice actor as Richie from Static Shock, if I'm right double points for him. I liked how his phrases were things referring to his timeline and what's going on now in the series. So the "Mode" is dealing with the metagene and I guess that'll explain Static's powers when he appears instead of the Bang Baby gas.

I felt sorry for Kid Flash in this episode. I guess being retired and not really relying on his powers has caused him to slow down a bit. Maybe he'll regain his speed like Roy will regain his need for training.Hopefully we get to see more of him being brought in for help especially since we get to see Artemis back in action in the next episode.

I also liked Lian whenever she laughed and clapped about the violence and especially when she called the real Roy her dad.

DBTrilogy100

[7]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 7

This episode puts the spotlight on the Flash Family and is the first Season 2/Young Justice: Invasion to be written by Peter David!

*We begin in an unspecified location where a brunette boy (voiced by Jason Marsden) is putting the finishing touches on something...

*Now we're back at Mount Justice (on the last day of February) where Nightwing, Robin (II) and Beast Boy are chatting...when a black box appears out of thin air!

*Out of the black box comes the brunette boy from earlier! This time, he's wearing a red and white outfit that looks as though it was inspired by Flash. Hmm, could this be...

*Nightwing mentions how the boxes arrival was quite an "impulse"; the boy likes the name and decides to use it as his "hero identity"! Ah, so this is, indeed, Bart Allen! I admit, I'm not very familiar with Impulse, but I have heard of him.

*Impulse runs around Mount Justice quite a bit...until Nightwing stops him! The whole scene was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Impulse regains conscious and finds himself handcuffed...and feetcuffed. I don't know about anyone else, but his line that it was a "very Dick Grayson move" cracked me up!

*Impulse proceeds to explain that he is the Grandson of the current Flash, Barry Allen, from the future (exactly how far in the future is not revealed, at least not yet). He spits into a cup (after drinking from it) to prove his bloodline (yep, UI just did a title drop). Beast Boy asking him to prove it by asking him questions about the future was pretty funny, as was Impulse's respond that he isn't a history expert. He does, however, accidentally reveals Nightwing and Tim Drake's civilian identities to Beast Boy (noting that secret identities are not around anymore in his future). His comment about that, "Oops. Spoilers.", was hilarious.

*Mal Duncan enters the cave...Impulse reveals he could've escaped the cuffs whenever and proceeds to leave with Beast Boy on his trail! Tim figures Beast Boy won't be able to catch up, which is when Nightwing reveals the water he gave Impulse was, in truth, a tracking device! He also makes a phone call...

*After only seeing him for a short while, I must say Impulse has won me over and is shaping up to be a favorite of mine! Jason Marsden also does a great job voicing him! I already like him better then Kid Flash (though, I admit, he was my least favorite among the initial 6 Team Members). But I digress.

*Meanwhile, in Tibet, the battle couple that is Red Arrow and Cheshire arrive to the building that Speedy is (supposedly) held in! Red Arrow has shaved his "beard of sorrow", but he still has a while to go to get his muscles back. What the? They brought their baby daughter, Lian, along! They should have left her with Artemis (as many fans have suggested)!

*At Central City, Flash (in the second episode where we see him out of costume) and Iris greet the Garricks on their 70th Year Anniversary! That's definitely a long (and happy) marriage! Barry receives a call from Nightwing...

*...Right when Impulse arrives! His greeting of his family members was one big combination of a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming and Funny!

*Barry doesn't believe Bart at first, pointing out that Iris and him have no kids...then Iris reveals that she is pregnant! Impulse lets slip that she's carrying twins! It looks like "Oops. Spoilers." is going to be Impulse's catchphrase...I like it!

*Wally arrives (having also received a call from Nightwing), just when Iris receives a call from her boss! Impulse (not very subtly) tries to convince her not to answer, but she does so anyway. Someone with some sort of energy-based powers is wrecking havoc in Central City! Barry dons his costume and speeds off! Impulse asking if Flash's "I'll be back in a flash!" line is common and the Flash Family's answer that he does it all the time was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Impulse proceeds to join his grandfather in the battle, even Wally has donned his Kid Flash costume once again! They do manage to rescue some citizens, fortunately!

*Kid Flash is notably slower then Flash for obvious reasons, but even Impulse is faster then him! Could this be because Wally's skills are rusty or was his means of getting super speed more faulty then Bart's or both? To anyone familiar with Impulse, did Bart get his powers in the comics by also recreating the experiment/"accident" or did he genetically inherit them from Barry?

*Bart also lets slip that this person they're fighting is named "Neutron". When Barry notices this, Bart tries to cover it up by claiming he heard him shout it as villains tend to do. His imitation of "an old school villain shouting their name" was a laugh riot!

*Flash and Impulse's super speed talking (which sounded like they were on helium) and Kid Flash noting he could only catch every 5th word or so was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Back in Tibet, the battle couple proceed to use stealth...until Lian's cries alert the guards of their presence! The fact that Red Arrows shares the views of some fans, that they should have left her with Artemis was hilarious!

*The Flash Trio continue their battle with Neutron back in Central City! Kid Flash begins to notice something with his goggles. His uncle borrows them, with Bart commenting about the Allen family having sharp eyes, much to Kid Flash's annoyance.

*Looks like their plan worked, now Flash is going to try to take Neutron to a desert! Impulse actually trips him on the way, of course, he is trying to help him.

*Luckily the 2 are helped out of there by Kid Flash and...Flash I/Jay Garrick! Definitely a Crowning Moment of Awesome! Kid Flash starts to chew Impulse out, only for Barry to stop him and inform him that all 3 of them had saved his life!

*Upon returning to Neutron, Impulse gives him a blue ring which seems to have made him normal again! Hmm...

*I wonder if Wally will "retire" again or if he's going to rejoin the team? Only time will tell, I suppose. I also wonder if Artemis will come out of "retirement" or not?

*Back in Tibet, the battle couple have taken down the guards. Red Arrow's comment about being worried about Lian's joy at violence (and Cheshire's respond that it's in the genes) was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*After entering a back room, The duo (and baby) find a pod! Chesire's puches in a code...

*Yep, after 5 years of searching, Red Arrow has finally found Speedy thanks to his wife! Where will the Roy Harper subplot go now? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

*Back at Mount Justice, the others receive genetic confirmation that Impulse is, indeed, Flash's grandson. Flash's goodbye to Impulse was a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming.

*Beast Boy's theory that the time machine is moving "by the second" was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Looks like Impulse will be sticking around for a while! Reminds me of Future Trunks in the Android Saga and Cell Saga of Dragonball Z.

*We now see the scene from the beginning of the episode again...with added details! Wait a minute, if Neutron (who we know now is named "Nathaniel") told Impulse that the time machine was a "one way trip", then why was Impulse surprised he couldn't get back to his time? Actually, that brings up a good question if and how Impulse does return to the future.

*Nathaniel notices that Impulse was able to succeed in saving Barry's life...but notices the rest of the world hasn't changed! Looks like the Light's "survival of the fittest plan" horribly backfired on them! We also learn that the location and exact time Bart came from was Mount Justice 40 years into the future!

Another great episode! I have enjoyed all of Peter David's episodes on the show! Impulse has become a new favorite character for me and it was great to have an episode that focused on the Flash Family! The Red Arrow & Cheshire subplot was also awesome! Looking forward to what next week's episode has in store for us!

MajLorne

[8]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 21
    Not a big fan of the flash character[s], but this was a great episode, lots of good humor and nice action. [A shame a certain arachnid show can't be this well balanced.] I have to say seeing the 4 flashes together was really cool. On the one way trip thing, I guess Impulse hoped that he could return back to report/see if what he did made a difference. I am interested in this 'metagene' plot. I never really cared for the Static shock show and would like to see his character reintroduced without the other characters. Future Static was awesome in Batman Beyond and future timeline eps of JL.

Red Arrow/Cheshire segment could've used some more time, but I do hope they are shown again in an upcoming episode. I mean, can it really be that easy or why would the Light need the original Roy since the clone served its purpose? And why chop off his arm? Lol, agreed about the baby laughing at the violence, totally hilarious.

roweantarts

[9]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 16

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Is Wally losing his powers? He seemed slower than he was in season 1.
    We've never seen his speed properly compared to the Flash before, and it's been said that he can't quite match the Flash's speed abilities - the other thing worth noting is that he's been out of action for a while, so maybe he's not quite up to full speed as it were Interesting episode in General, I like Impulse (although a radically different origin from the comics) I liked the flash family in action, I liked the brief fight with Beast Boy, Robin and Nightwing vs Impulse, I think perhaps the Roy/Cheshire finding could've used a bit more time, but that's nitpicking given how great this episode is. The issue comes looking at this series overall, to be honest, the last thing the show needed was more characters, many of the characters are underdeveloped as it is, and given the circumstances it looks like Impulse will be a very important character in the coming events
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

*We now see the scene from the beginning of the episode again...with added details! Wait a minute, if Neutron (who we know now is named "Nathaniel") told Impulse that the time machine was a "one way trip", then why was Impulse surprised he couldn't get back to his time? Actually, that brings up a good question if and how Impulse does return to the future.

I reckon he was faking it, we already know he's a reasonably good actor

Notes: Is 'noted' gonna become Beast Boy's catchprase?

Regarding future language. I get that 'crash' is good, and 'mode' is bad, so what does 'crashing the mode' mean?

Edited on 06/02/2012 12:44pm

RaizenYusuke

[10]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 28
    I was thinking Wally retied because something was wrong with his speed. Now this episode showed him slower than his uncle ad cousin, which caught my eye. I understand Barry being faster than Wally, but it was odd that Bart would be faster than him as well. It could e the writers way of showig us this.

Kindredtown

[11]Jun 2, 2012

In the comics Wally is supposed to be/become the fastest Flash and this is probably what's going to make him attain that in the series. Basically him feeling outclassed by someone from the future though his speed still has to be great for him to catch up to Bart and Barry before they ended up dying.

Also, I'm thinking that crashing the mode could be making something good out of a bad situation or something like that. I'll have to re-watch the episode to make sure and yeah "Noted" is Beast Boy's catchphrase.

roweantarts

[12]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 16

I did intend those note questions to be rhetorical, but I digress

Here's something from the ask Greg Forum

:
    Q: i just have one quick question, right now how fast can kid flash run?

A: Fast, but not nearly as fast as the Flash .

Speaking of, I have 1 more thing to add

Why do they still call Wally 'Kid', he's 21 years old.

Edited on 06/02/2012 2:01pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ericwashere15

[13]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 15
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

*Impulse regains conscious and finds himself handcuffed...and feetcuffed. I don't know about anyone else, but his line that it was a "very Dick Grayson move" cracked me up!

It seemed to me like they tried Getting Crap Past the Radar.

Kindredtown wrote:

In the comics Wally is supposed to be/become the fastest Flash and this is probably what's going to make him attain that in the series. Basically him feeling outclassed by someone from the future though his speed still has to be great for him to catch up to Bart and Barry before they ended up dying.

KF mentions in the episode how he's used to being lapped, at least by Flash. So it's not entirely a case of him not using his powers anymore.

I enjoyed the episode, more so because we got a look into the speedsters who really have no powers to divide themselves from any other speedster. As for Impulse, I like KF more.

Yaspaa

[15]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 79
    What a cracking episode, the super fast chat between Flash and his grandson really tickled me.

Kindredtown

[16]Jun 2, 2012

ericwashere15 wrote:
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

It seemed to me like they tried Getting Crap Past the Radar.

Especially when Beast Boy turned to him with a puzzled look and said "Your name is Dick?"

wolfdemontsuki

[17]Jun 2, 2012

DBTrilogy100 wrote:

*Kid Flash is notably slower then Flash for obvious reasons, but even Impulse is faster then him! Could this be because Wally's skills are rusty or was his means of getting super speed more faulty then Bart's or both? To anyone familiar with Impulse, did Bart get his powers in the comics by also recreating the experiment/"accident" or did he genetically inherit them from Barry?

in the original comics that impulse first appears in, it is stated that the twins that iris is carrrying are only half as fast as barry but in bart "the bloodline was concentrated because he was their child." so either massive typo on the authors part or bart's parents were the twins. however because of his bloodline he initially aged at an accelerated rate. although he looked 16 he was actually five. to help him adjust they raised him in a virtual world that was accelerated to help him develop normally, but the downside was he didn't develop the need to think things through, always acting on "impulse".

Edited on 06/02/2012 3:33pm

wolfdemontsuki

[18]Jun 2, 2012

Kindredtown wrote:

I really liked this episode. I think Bart is voiced by the same voice actor as Richie from Static Shock, if I'm right double points for him. I liked how his phrases were things referring to his timeline and what's going on now in the series. So the "Mode" is dealing with the metagene and I guess that'll explain Static's powers when he appears instead of the Bang Baby gas.

I felt sorry for Kid Flash in this episode. I guess being retired and not really relying on his powers has caused him to slow down a bit. Maybe he'll regain his speed like Roy will regain his need for training.Hopefully we get to see more of him being brought in for help especially since we get to see Artemis back in action in the next episode.

I also liked Lian whenever she laughed and clapped about the violence and especially when she called the real Roy her dad.

keep in mind that kf doesn't have the same level of control as the flash and never does. in the comics flash is able to pass through walls undetected where as kf causes anything he tries to pass thru blow up. impulse is still faster than wally in the comics. it is one of the first things they show.

Kindredtown

[19]Jun 2, 2012

wolfdemontsuki wrote:

Kindredtown wrote:

keep in mind that kf doesn't have the same level of control as the flash and never does. in the comics flash is able to pass through walls undetected where as kf causes anything he tries to pass thru blow up. impulse is still faster than wally in the comics. it is one of the first things they show.

It's been said in the comicsthat Wally is the fastest of the Flashes and the Fastest being that ever existed. And he was before able to pass through walls without destroying them, but when he connected to the Speed Force they objects became atomically unstabble. But they did make Wally substantially slower than he actually is.

Geodude

[20]Jun 2, 2012

It's always interesting to see zeta ID hints and confirmed info, and we got a couple in this episode:

-Mal Duncan is A10. Now the only As unaccounted for are 5-9.

-Jay Garrick appeared in the cave, so one of the unaccounted for IDs (probably A5-A9) must be his.

Edited on 06/02/2012 4:56pm