Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Depths (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jun 8, 2012
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 6/9/12 episode "Depths" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kindredtown

[2]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 3

I think this may have been the best episode this season. The story was great, the action was great and the whole twist at the end was amazing. I felt like that was what was happening with Aqualad. I even almost cried, but I kept my composure. This whole story is starting to get really interesting, it just sucks that the next new episode won't be on for a while. And now we know why Superboy actually broke up with M'gaan. And this show is trying to pit everyone against L'gaan, but it makes me wonder what happened to Garth.

Geodude

[3]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 2

Nice to know I was right about Aqualad. Can't wait to finally see this for myself.

MajLorne

[4]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 21
    Yeah, I liked how it turned out he really was just deep undercover. Artemis to go undercover like that, KF isn't very happy about that... I do wonder had she been killed for real, would he have held back on beating up NW?

Kindredtown

[5]Jun 9, 2012

MajLorne wrote:
    Yeah, I liked how it turned out he really was just deep undercover. Artemis to go undercover like that, KF isn't very happy about that... I do wonder had she been killed for real, would he have held back on beating up NW?

He probably wouldn't have held back, but his fighting wouldn't be that great since he was fueled with anger. And if she really did die he would have come back to the hero gig to get revenge or something, but maybe temporarily becoming an anti-hero.

DarthFreeza

[6]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 23

Well that was an emotional rollercoaster. At first I thought Artemis' death was faked (when we saw at the beginning of the episode) but when she actually got (fake) stabbed I thought it really happened as a way to make the audience hate and take Aqualad seriously.
    Yikes. Awesome episode. Glad to have found out the exact reason for the SB MM breakup. Really starting to dislike Miss Martian. I hope they give a genuine reason why she became so power crazy rather than just she got stronger and decided to use it.
    Admittedly, I was hoping that Aqualad was genuinely bad now and that he wasn't undercover. You'd think Black Manta would have Psimon or some telepath probe Aqualad's mind to ensure he wasn't a traitor. But whatever. Artemis isn't really dead so I'm happy.

Does anyone know exactly when the next new episode airs?

DBTrilogy100

[7]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 7

This week's episode sees another of the initial team members make a return to the hero stuff!

*It's March and we hear Godfrey doing another one of his on air rants. Artemis is about to resume the hero work, much to the annoyance of Kid Flash, but she reminds him that he did so in the previous episode (looks like his return was, indeed, a temporary one). She assures him he'll be fine...

*...only for us to see a scene where Nightwing gives her C.P.R. and then declares her dead! Talk about "Mood Whiplash"!

*Now we're going to see how they got to that scene. Nightwing fills Superboy (returning from a 2 episode absence) and Mal Duncan on what is happening with Speedy and Impulse. They still have no idea who the Light's newest partner is; I'm guessing the audience will find out halfway through the Season as it took half of Season 1 to confirm the Light member's identity.

*Artemis returns to Mount Justice back in costume! Besides being taller, her pony tail is also notable shorter compared to her younger days. After some quick reunions, Nightwing proceeds to outline the attending team mates of this episode's mission.

*A press conference about this Earth and Mars Negotiation is being held with...Martian Manhunter? Ah wait, there's an easy explanation to that. Naturally, Godfrey continues to be the most antagonistic of the press, but "Martian Manhunter" is able to counter his arguments in a calm collective manner.

*I think it's safe to say we all saw Miss Martian using her shape-shifting powers to pose as her "Uncle" coming, we also see Superboy dressed as his "Brother" and Miss Martian using her telekinesis to give the illusion of flight. It's reasserted that the Justice League members off to court is being kept hidden from the public (and, by extension, other planets).

*The team is split to cover the 3 surrounding terrains: Nightwing & Artemis on land, Superboy & Miss Martian in the air and Lagoon Boy in the water. Naturally, Lagoon Boy isn't very pleased that Miss Martian is being "partnered-up" with her ex-boyfriend; his catchphrase ("Neptune's Beard!") is growing on me, I must admit.

*Nightwing thanks Artemis for coming back into the hero business, despite Wally not being thrilled about it. She proceeds to explain that, unlike her boyfriend, she still enjoys it and can't stay away from it for too long. Nightwing concurs with her statement, which could be interpreted as a hint to one of the events he did during the time skip.

*We also receive more information on Superboy and Miss Martian's break up. It's officially confirmed that Miss Martian had using "extreme measures" before Season 2's premiere/during the time skip. She justifies her use of it as the ones on the receiving end are the enemies, which Connor counters by saying she's not better then Psimon. He also adds that she actually tried to get into his mind to make him forget why he was angry at her...that's definitely crossing the line on her part!

*Lagoon Boy notices soldiers affiliated with the newest Light Member, Black Manta, coming in, lead by his son, the former Aqualad! Unfortunately for him, he gets caught! Speaking of Black Manta now being in the Light, I wonder if the Light's numeric designations work the same way as the Justice League's or different from it.

*Despite things getting intense at the launch site, the workers speed up the rocket's countdown time! Artemis tries to appeal to her former teammate, but to no avail!

*Kaldur stabbed Artemis! I didn't think her death would play out like that! Aquaman's former apprentice has crossed the "moral event horizon"! We now see the scene briefly shown near the beginning of the episode.

*Kaldur believes his mission to be a failure...only for the rocket to blow up anyway!

*The younger Black Manta returns to his father to give his status report. The elder revealed he planted the bomb days ago and that this was a secret test to see if his son could acknowledge his failures/defeats on a mission. He may be evil, but he is certainly proud of his son.

*The team mourns at Mount Justice. Beast Boy comforting his "blood sister" was quite heart warming. Mal mentions that Nightwing went to tell Wally the bad news...

*Nightwing waits in a warehouse looking at the picture he took of him and Artemis back in Homefront, he even restates the line he said when he took it. Soon, Wally arrives...as does Kaldur...and Artemis!

*Ah, so it was all an act that only these 4 knew about, well played! We also see quick flashbacks to show us how they pulled it off! The fans who suspected that Kaldur didn't truly turn to the Dark Side were right on the money!

*To continue the plan, Nightwing gives Artemis a necklace with a spell that will make everyone except these 3 see her as someone else, courtesy of Zatanna! Artemis remarks that it was incredible how Nightwing was able to get such a specific spell without revealing too much to Zatanna; Nightwing responds that he "has a history with her", giving us another hint of one of the events during the time skip.

*Kaldur and Artemis (whom we, the audience, get to see from the perspective of others as she wears the magic necklace) enter the submarine. Nightwing tries to assure his best friend that the hardest part is over, but Wally disagrees and believes the worst is yet to come...

Another well-done episode! Also very informative, which is especially good considering the fact that Young Justice (: Invasion) will be taking a break for awhile. I definitely feel Season 2 has been getting better with each passing episode, so I definitely look forward to what else the Season holds in store for us when it eventually returns!

Kittyfan2

[8]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 8

To be honest, I was kind of hoping for something darker from this show. I had truely believed that Kaldur had gone bad, but nope, it just seems this is all part of some highly complicated plan to get closer to the light. I dunno, it just seemed that the show was starting to really get gritty and more....relistic? I dunno the right word there, but it was really starting to get darker and now everything is explained to us.

I do like how they gave it to us. The explanation here was a good move because otherwise they would have had too much explaining to do later and it would have been harder for us, the audience, to really take in and believe. And now that we know that not only one, but three team members are in danger, it does add some tension to the situation at hand.

Also, is Superboy in on this too? Because if not, how did he not hear her heartbeat? I'm not completely clear on that.

Umm...the episode in a whole was good. The plot twist was kind of one of those, 'I was so thinking that in the back of m head' things. I did think Artemis' new look wasn't too much of a change, but that's just me thing. Still a good episode thing.

RaizenYusuke

[9]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 28
    Should have seen it coming. I was hoping Aqualad's turn was real myself, but a hero turned villain on tv is rare. But I like they have a mole in the Light. I hope it doesn't turn into Savage knew the entire time deal. Props to Geodude who called this would happen. Maybe Miss Martian will become a villain. Her story is more interesting now than it was last season. She is becoming more unlikable her story of losing focus on where the line is and abuse if power makes for a interesting story. Superboy's excuse for not saying anything is kind of weak. Lagoon Boy's purpose on this show just to be the unlikable new boyfriend? If this is his role I would have rather they brought in Grath as Tempest.

Kindredtown

[10]Jun 9, 2012

Aqualad gave her a pill that stopped her heartbeat. That's why Superboy couldn't hear it. S only those four know what's actually going on. That is unless M'gaan decides to probe into her friends' minds.

And I think Garth may have also died during the Timeskip since he's supposed to be in the new Young Justice video game.

RaizenYusuke

[11]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 28
    No. I mean Superboy;s reasoning for not telling the team about Megan is weak.

CaptainHarkness

[12]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 23

It amazes me that this show outdoes itself each week. Last week I was calling 'Bloodlines' one of the best of the series and now I'm thinking this one. It would be neat if by the end of the season the original team members are all fighting side by side.

Is this only on hiatus for 3 weeks?

Geodude

[13]Jun 10, 2012

Another thought: Remember when Artemis jumped the gun, and Nightwing said, "I know you're rusty, but are you TRYING to get yourself killed?" He said that over the psychic link, even though the bad guys had already seen them and she was right next to him. Having Superboy and M'Gann hear that would no doubt trigger their memories of the Failsafe incident, which could be another reason they didn't press further and took Nightwing's word about her death, since that thought was in their heads already. So that scene may have been staged as well, to help set up the fake death.

neoyamato_pi

[14]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 26
    Definitely the best episode of the new season. It would've been much darker to see Aqualad go villain and for Artemis to die on screen, but the twist at the end was definitely worth it. I do hope they expand on the death of Tula/Aquagirl in a future episode. Her death must've had some effect on Aqualad aside from incorporating it as part of his "reason" for leaving the team.

Jemadari

[15]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 12

I too was hoping for Artemis to be dead and Aqualad to be evil, but whaddayagonnado

Much as I dislike Lagoon Boy, him pretending the mind link had a bad connection was hilarious

So it would seem that MM isn't dark per se, she just won't be voting democrat anytime soon, at first I was a bit surprised with SB's liberal take on the treatment of enemies but then I remembered where he spawned from

bnjay29

[16]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 5

Kittyfan2 wrote:

Also, is Superboy in on this too? Because if not, how did he not hear her heartbeat? I'm not completely clear on that.

This reminds me of that episode of Justice League Unlimited when Green Arrow pulled the same trick on Wildcat.
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Lagoon Boy's purpose on this show just to be the unlikable new boyfriend? If this is his role I would have rather they brought in Grath as Tempest.
    Personally I like that the characters have layers to their personalities. He is a jerk but still nice in a different light. Such as his moments with MM; least you know he truly cares about her. After all, this isn't Super Friends where everyone gets along. That's why I liked examples in earlier episodes with tension between the heroes that the you may not see with the Justice League. Jealousy between Lagoon Boy and Superboy? They're teens (Superboy perpetually, lol). They are superheroes that's true, but they act like teens do as well.

As far as the reveal at the end, I saw this coming from a mile away! But I am glad to see the truth finally revealed, even though I felt it was a little too quick. Only the second episode to feature Aqualad in the season and already we find out he never went bad. I wanted to see more "villain" Aqualad.

yutg25

[17]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 5

My brother saw the reveal after ARtemis went down He believes no hero will die after on TV. I must be getting slow. I have a question where was Kaldur taking her? on the Manta flyer. Is he gonna introduce him to his father as a new recruit?

A few episodes ago we were wondering why Batman and J'onn didn't react after MM turned that alien into a vegetable maybe she's mind nudging the entire League. She is stronger than J'onn and Superboy caught on because he knew her touch. We know she is a white martian right aren't they bad guys. With Lagoon boy captured and Artemis Dead she'll go even darker. I don't know I am just having visions of Jean Grey in X-men 3 Last Stand.

Am I being bad if I am say that I hope they don't get to rescue Lagoon boy for another 5 years. I just find him sooo annoying and it has nothing to do with the MM/Superboy. its just that every time he opens his mouth Why am I in B team I am top gun material so arrogant. I really hope he gets written off.

neoyamato_pi

[18]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 26

yutg25 wrote:

My brother saw the reveal after ARtemis went down He believes no hero will die after on TV. I must be getting slow. I have a question where was Kaldur taking her? on the Manta flyer. Is he gonna introduce him to his father as a new recruit?

That what I would assume where he is taking her.

Geodude

[19]Jun 12, 2012

I think this episode implied that Artemis never truly wanted to leave the hero life in the first place, but did for Wally. Maybe at some point, Wally will come to realize this, and decide to return the favor by following her back into the hero life.

[20]Jun 12, 2012

This episode was really great. At the beginning of the season, I truly believed Kaldur being a double crosser, but they wrote him with the best acting skills I have ever seen done by an animated character. Bravo Aqualad. I'm curious as to the next route the show takes, but also since Miss Martian has her telepathy skill, whats to stop her from overhearing someone's thoughts (as rude as eavesdropping is)

plus I want her and Superboy to work. Miss Martian and Lagoon Boy just seems forced for some reason, I'm probably just tooanalytic. I also think La'gaan's personality is a lot more abrasive, even though Superboy acted that way in the beginning of season 1. He warmed up though. La'gaan seems perpetually arrogant and hard headed. I'm not his biggest fan, but props to the show basically for being awesome.