Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Earthlings (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 4, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/5/12 episode "Earthlings" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DiamondHead1830

[2]May 5, 2012
    • level: 16
    This episode is all about the Zeta team on Rann. I rather enjoyed this episode, surprisingly. It started with the team meeting Adam Strange's friends and them setting out on the mission.

I liked this episode because of the character development. We learn Superboy isn't happy with the idea of being called Earthling and seems to be proud of his Kryptonian roots. Beast Boy's character also grows alot in the episode. We realize he now has a brother/sister bond with Miss Martian, seeing that they are "blood siblings." And Beast boy also seems to have a bond with Supey (I just read YJ comic #0 and had to throw that in there ) When they get aboard the ship, Beast Boy transforms into a gorilla and Superboy actually jokes about Gar making him to start to like monkeys. We also learn about why Gar is on the team without his mother's consent SPOILER***** He has a memory of her in a car accident. ******* A question I've had about his powers since teen titans is finally answered, he can change into other unearthly species. I.e the bird from this morning episode. And how he got his powers is revealed, the blood transfusion, he developed his shape-shifting capabilities from MM's blood, unlike the comics with the green monkey.'

Superboy also became a tad more developed, using his head more instead of his fists. Plus we see he still has feelings for ms. martian and how they came to be separated, I won't spoil that! His powers seem to be increasing, his jump in this episode seemed more of a "flight".

All together I'd rate this episode a 7/10 because of the lack of action scenes, but great character development!

bag2218

[3]May 5, 2012
    • level: 12

I'm just happy to see Beat Boy. He reminds me of the old days of Teen Titans

Edited on 05/05/2012 10:01am
    Edited 2 total times.

ericwashere15

[4]May 5, 2012
    • level: 15
    DiamondHead1830 wrote:
    A question I've had about his powers since teen titans is finally answered, he can change into other unearthly species. I.e the bird from this morning episode. And how he got his powers is revealed, the blood transfusion, he developed his shape-shifting capabilities from MM's blood, unlike the comics with the green monkey.'

I thought BB transformed into a few alien creatures in Teen Titans? and the blood transfusion thing was obvious when it happened.

I liked the episode, but I missed the HD showing of it so I had to watch it sub-standard def as my tv felt like throwing waves into the picture.

MM mind wiping the Krolotean, I feel, foreshadows her path becoming dark. Some back story on her and Connor's break up was nice too.

I wasn't expecting that cliff hangar, at least not this soon in the season. I'm also really digging the sound the Kroloteans used when they noticed Robin, Beetle and La'gann last episode and that warned them about the incoming Kroloteans.

Bullwinkle520

[5]May 5, 2012
    • level: 9

Am I the only one who thought Alanna was Raven at first?

Kindredtown

[6]May 5, 2012
    • level: 3

Bullwinkle520 wrote:

I think so. I'm not sure if she's an actual DC character, but she most likely is. I saw the small preview for the episode and saw that she was using ajet pack, plus she looked more cheery than a Raven would.

But to my review thingy or whatever. I really liked the episode. BB's moving up in my list of favorite characters for the season thought Nightwing and Tim Drake's Robin are my top 2. Only because Dick was always my favorite and Robin's still a badass. And I haven't really decided who deserves my third spot since the season is still just starting but it'll either be Blue Beetle, Beast Boy, Superboy, Wonder Girl, or Batgirl, but I digress.

I liked the development they had for BB. I feel sorry for him having lost his mother, but seemingly not before she was able to adopt M'gann which was nice. And I like the connection the two have with each other. Even better than Nightwing and Tim's. I'm also glad we got to find out why Superboy and Miss Martian broke up so that was a plus. It seems she's becoming more ruthless and it's probably going to lead to her turning evil or something later on in the series, but right now it seems she's still pretty held to the ground by her little brother.

Edit: Just searched and she actually was a character. She marries Adam and dies giving birth to their kid.

Edited on 05/05/2012 5:27pm

MajLorne

[7]May 5, 2012
    • level: 21
    Bullwinkle520 wrote:

I got that impression as well, probably just the voice and the cloak.

I also liked this episode. Nice seeing connor's powers growing with that thermal vision. Also it seems the cloning process has kept him from aging much. Also looks like we will get our answers about the 16 hours, so hopefully the extremists will lay off Weisman. People need to put more faith in him. He's always delivered good results. I don't want the big reveal to be rushed in a few minutes at the risk of a decent sub plot.

edmasterchaos

[8]May 5, 2012
    • level: 41

Bullwinkle520 wrote:

Oh god i thought that too.

Anyway... i... LIKE this show now. I mean, i was kinda enjoying the last season, but now there are more characters i care for than those i don't!

Superboy is a 21 year old that's living with the whole clone thing, while also not aging physically, has overall recovered from his AUAHGHGHH days and had to break up with the girl he likes because she's a goddamn psychopath sometimes, and a mental 16 the other times. I can relate to that, a little, kinda. Though i have to shave constantly or i look bad, damn this 20 year body.

Beast Boy forced into being a hero because the only 'family' he has is a goddamn psychopath alien that tee hee wanted a little brother, yet he still is a kid so he's having fun adventure! that's nice. "Noted" thing aside (seriously, the catchphrases here...)

Blue Beetle is f'ing Blue Beetle.

And, finally, Megan. She cut the HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO MEGAAAAAAAAAN bull and is now a goddamned psychopath sadist that probably murdered an alien just now. It makes the evil little man in me laugh in joy.

Jemadari

[9]May 5, 2012
    • level: 12

The evil little man in all of us is excited to see the new M'Gann

When she did her thing to the little alien guy Superboy didn't seem the least bit surprised and I just watched the scene again when he was telling of how they broke up and when he said he broke up with her because "she left him no choice", his eyes looked like they went to a dark place in his memory, I'm really looking forward to the flashbacks that are sure to come

sion8

[10]May 6, 2012
    • level: 7
    This was a very interesting episode thanks to the good drama, I love the language barrier problem that happend during this episode because a whole galaxy full of native English spreakers just heards me in a deep level, anyways the many developments that happend was needed for the series' second season, while I think that M'gann M'orzz went a little too far with the memory extraction since that seems to be what she did to the Krolotean it does make you wonder if she did it before from Superboy's reaction, I like the MM|BB relation ship that has develop and I want to see more of the other teams from Earth.

tansniper

[11]May 6, 2012
    • level: 5
    Jemadari wrote:

The evil little man in all of us is excited to see the new M'Gann

When she did her thing to the little alien guy Superboy didn't seem the least bit surprised and I just watched the scene again when he was telling of how they broke up and when he said he broke up with her because "she left him no choice", his eyes looked like they went to a dark place in his memory, I'm really looking forward to the flashbacks that are sure to come

yeah i got the feeling to..thats why he broke up with her..because she start invading minds and not holding back or something like that.

but damn..remind me never to be on M'Gann bad side ever...she very scary =D haha. over all wonderful episode, i like how beat boy was trying to play peace marker. =D i dont think miss m will go bad just become lost and might go solo for a while, to find her self again. over all i nice stuff with bb,the new alien girl, and everyone else =D i would love to see hints of.. raven or starfire to pop out. mawahahah =D

macabre6

[12]May 6, 2012
    • level: 4
    Pretty good episode, some interesting stuff, starting to dislike MM a bit, seems knocking her own team out is not the worst thing she's ever done, and if she did something horrible, possibly to Queen Bee, then I'm guessing JL doesn't know about all the details, and SuperBoy probably does, well, then he is an irresponsible jerk for not reporting it. But then this is a lot of speculation on my part, and I hope these characters haven't made and won't make an dumb decisions that'll endanger lives. I do like Beast Boy though, I like him a lot more than the Teen Titans version which I just found utterly obnoxious. And hey, Adam Strange gets a cool costume. I thought last episode was better, but this was still good.

ArtistUnknown

[13]May 6, 2012
    • level: 2
    And now I have reason to have BB on the top of my favorites list that isn't just his ridiculously awesome human/monkey hybrid design. I thoroughly enjoyed him being on the front of this episode and getting backstory and action sequences and stuff. I like the brother/sister relationship he has with M'gann too; should the writers end up making M'gann evil or whatever, I'm going to guess that BB (and Superboy) will have a huge role in calming her down.

RaizenYusuke

[14]May 6, 2012
    • level: 28
    I thought Superboy no aging thing was dumb. Why would Lex make amclone that can't age beyond 16? 16 isn't even the age Coner would be at his prime, where his powers would be their strongest. MM/BB relationship was well done and liked the Adam Strange and language barrier. I am tired SB/MM relationship getting so much focus. In this episode it was understandable to explain why they broke up, but I hope their relationship does not get as much focus as it did last season. MM being the first person who saw him as more than a weapon? Ah I am pretty sure Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad did that to before MM even...... No offense to Wiseman, but his SB/MM are no Goliath/Elisa for that line to work.

edmasterchaos

[15]May 6, 2012
    • level: 41

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I thought Superboy no aging thing was dumb. Why would Lex make amclone that can't age beyond 16? 16 isn't even the age Coner would be at his prime, where his powers would be their strongest. MM/BB relationship was well done and liked the Adam Strange and language barrier. I am tired SB/MM relationship getting so much focus. In this episode it was understandable to explain why they broke up, but I hope their relationship does not get as much focus as it did last season. MM being the first person who saw him as more than a weapon? Ah I am pretty sure Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad did that to before MM even...... No offense to Wiseman, but his SB/MM are no Goliath/Elisa for that line to work.
    It happened in the comics. *shrug*

Also, think of it in a manly way: Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad saw him as a friend, and that's important, but M'gan did so as well. And M'gan has what inspires any man, be it human or kryptonian: Boobs.

And, don't worry, Superboy's gonna get with Wonder Girl like in the comics and he'll just be a part of M'gan's plot when she goes even more psycho than she already is.

Kindredtown

[16]May 6, 2012
    • level: 3

RaizenYusuke wrote:

You're forgetting that Superboy was released prematurely. I'm sure that they were planning to develop him into adulthood, but since he was released earlier he only looked like a teenager. At least that's what I'm getting at. Sixteen weeks=Sixteen years. Wow this series loves the number sixteen.

RaizenYusuke

[17]May 6, 2012
    • level: 28
    I am not sure if Superboy and Wonder Girl will happen. JLU finally introduced Hawkman and Shayera did not end up with him though, despite their comic lore.

DBTrilogy100

[18]May 6, 2012
    • level: 7

The 2nd episode of Young Justice's 2nd Season/Invasion shows us the first of many alien planet adventures!

*We start off in the middle of the action, where Superboy, Miss Martian and Beast Boy (along with a Rann native) are on the run from some sort of tank-like machines!

*One of these machines manages to knock Superboy and the Rann native off a ledge and they are now hanging on the edge for dear life! Superboy laments how things have not gone as planned...

*We are now taking back to when the trio first arrived on Rann (along with Adam Strange, who has been there once before). Superboy took Adam's advice from the previous episode and is keeping the "Superman logo" out of sight. Beast Boy being excited about being on an alien planet was both adorable and funny! We even hear him call Miss Martian "Sis", a nod to how he thinks of her as his "blood sister" as of the end of Image.

*I gotta hand it to the Young Justice Crew, I really like their version of Beast Boy a lot! I already like him better then his Teen Titans counterpart! Not to say the Teen Titans version of him was bad, mind you, but he could be a bit annoying at times. I also really like Logan Grove's voice for him, it really shows how this Beast Boy is a younger hero and an "ascended fan". Definitely looking forward to seeing what Beast Boy does throughout the Season!

*The trio of heroes get to meet the scientist Adam befriended on his first trip, Sardath, as well as his daughter, Alanna (the Rann native at the beginning of the episode), who seems to have a crush on Adam. Adam acknowledges that he and Sardath still haven't figured out how to communicate besides "playing charades".

*Miss Martian solves that problem by linking all of them telepathically! Everyone speaks in their native tongue and the foreign language gets translated!

*Beast Boy discovers an alien animal inside Sardath's lab and begins to examine it. Much like his Teen Titans counterpart in the 3rd Season episode, Betrothed, Beast Boy can shape shift into alien animals, provided he has seen them, of course.

*Sardath explains that most of his research is done in secret due to the xenophobic nature of Rann's Science Command. He explains that, as expected, Earthlings are not well liked due to the actions of the 6 (Starro-infected) Justice League members, adding that these 6 apparently did something on Rimbor. He asks if they are affiliated with the Justice League, to which, Miss Martian responds with the true statement that they are not members of the Justice League. Like Agendas, this brings up the long argued and heated debate on whether or not an omission would count as a lie or not; I say it isn't, but your milage may vary.

*As expected, the Kroloteans (whom we met in the previous episode) are behind the thievery on Rann. Alanna even says "Krolotean" might as well mean "thief". They also mention that a "Zeta Shield" would stop new Kroloteans from invading.

*Superboy is starting to get sick of being called an "Earthling" and brings up his and Miss Martian's heritage. Superboy's "do I even have to say it?" tone when mentioning Miss Martian is from Mars was priceless! Sardath insists on using "Earthling" as they came to Rann from Earth.

*The hero trio, Adam (who are all disguised) and Alanna arrive to the Rann equivalent of a train station, a magrail station. The Rann Police Force arrive for a routine ID check, which throws a wrench in their plans! Luckily, Adam distracts them by reciting Jabberwocky in a very animated manner; definitely a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Beast Boy tries reminding his "blood sister" and her ex-boyfriend of a mission in Qurac (during the time skip) where the latter tried being romantic. Miss Martian dismisses it as in the past and Superboy tries to change the subject. Is Beast Boy a "shipper on deck" for "Super Martian" or was he just trying to ease the tension or was it a combination of both? Once again, your milage may vary.

*As mentioned in the previous episode, Beast Boy has taken up Kid Flash's position as the "souvenir collector", but Alanna stops him from taking a plant by showing him it's a trapping plant, adding that he should stay clear from anything that looks pretty.

*Like the set of heroes from the previous episode, this episode's group of heroes find a Krolotean base. Unlike the previous episode's group, they have an easier time getting rid of it...at first...

*Adam's evasion of Rann's police force was pretty funny, I must admit.

*We're now back at the scene shown at the beginning of the episode. This reminds me of the structure of the 7th episode of The Spectacular Spider-Man, Catalyst, another show Greg Weisman had a hand in making.

*Superboy and Alanna manages to back up and hide in a cave, where Miss Martian contacts them saying they should regroup after theKrolotean troops were far enough away. Superboy tells her to be careful very tenderly...

*After her constant insisting, Superboy finally talks to Alanna about his and Miss Martian's break up. It turns out the cloning process has restricted Superboy's physical aging; those who theorized that were spot on! Alanna points out that a shape shifter seems like a perfect match for someone with Superboy's "condition". Although we still don't know the exact reasons, we do learn that Superboy was the one to break things off, saying only that "she left [him] no choice". I get the feeling we'll get the exact answer later in the season.

*Miss Martian hugging Beast Boy was both funny and adorable! It also illustrates their "sibling-like bond" very well!

*After seeing a waterfall Beast Boy's cheerfulness is gone and he breaks down! He even changes back to his normal human form from Image, except older and completely green!

*Miss Martian reads her "blood brother's" mind to see what's troubling him. We see a car crashed into a waterfall and poor Garfield in tears! Apparently, Queen Bee killed his mother during the time skip! An absolute Tear Jerker and shows us one of presumably many acts the Light committed during the time skip!

*Miss Martian hugging the emotionally hurt Beast Boy was both a Tear Jerker and a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming and also illustrates their "sibling-like bond", as well.

*Uh oh, the "Green Siblings" have been captured by theKrolotean troops, who are planning to head back to their home planet of Krolotea!

*Miss Martian being knocked out, expectedly, turns off the groups telepathic link! Superboy and Alanna rush to save her and Beast Boy!

*Adam realizing the telepathic link was off was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Superboy manages to free the "Green Siblings"! Him and Beast Boy decide to take down theKrolotean Ship!

*Alanna is able to wake Miss Martian up by saying some kind of phrase!

*I just noticed that when this version of Beast Boy becomes in animal, he wears a red and white collar (from his uniform). Superboy admits that Beast Boy is helping him get over his hatred of monkeys, priceless!

*Did Miss Martian just "go Darth Vader" on theKrolotean Leader and force choke him? In actuality, she did to him what she did to Psimon back in Image!

*Miss Martian gives theKrolotean Leader's sash to her "blood brother" as a souvenir. Superboy notices what she did and tries to (telepathicly) confront her about it, but she dismisses him. She tells the others that he now knows what, exactly, those 6 (Starro-infected) Justice League members did on Rimbor!

A very good episode! Rann was an interesting planet and this version of Beast Boy has become a favorite of mine! I look forward to seeing what the next episode holds for us!

MajLorne

[19]May 6, 2012
    • level: 21

edmasterchaos wrote:
    It happened in the comics. *shrug*

Also, think of it in a manly way: Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad saw him as a friend, and that's important, but M'gan did so as well. And M'gan has what inspires any man, be it human or kryptonian: Boobs.

And, don't worry, Superboy's gonna get with Wonder Girl like in the comics and he'll just be a part of M'gan's plot when she goes even more psycho than she already is.

:spits out water: LMFAO @ the 'boobs' comment! Great answer. But that was only a disguise. Her real form would've repulsed anyone else no matter how hot she looked in disguse.

DarthFreeza

[20]May 7, 2012
    • level: 23

This episode definately renewed my faith after being a bit on the fence after the first episode of the second season.
    I'm glad to have gotten some insight into Connor and Megan's breakup though I'm not liking the direction they're going with Megan. She seems a lot less bubbly and a lot meaner (and though I miss the "Hello Megan!" it's understandable that they lost it - they gotta show her maturing after five years). Beast Boy was the highlight of this week for me (most due to his interactions with Megan). Maybe it's just me but I liked his design a lot better when he was looking at the lake than I do his normal BB appearance.
    Hoping next week focuses on the alpha team (I want to see what Batgirl and Wondergirl are like!)