Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Happy New Year! (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/28/12 episode "Happy New Year!" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tansniper

[2]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 5
    Well this very moment i just saw a clip..I have to say..Miss M is all Pro Ops now. =D Miss M. She like Target Located, delta team converge on our signal gave and they give that older look touch which is nice for both Miss M & SB

but also..for her saying delta team..its mean there has to be alpha,bravo..maybe i am going fan crazy^^ but sounds like they got a lot of new members. mawahhaha =D

ArtistUnknown

[3]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the time skip. Having Blue Beetle, Beast Boy, Wondergirl, Batgirl, and Tim Drake's incarnation of Robin were all fantastic (I'm not too familiar with Lagoon Boy, unfortunately, but I loved him in this). Though, disregarding Beast Boy and Nightwing, no one really changed in appearance (unless you want to count Miss Martian's new haircut) even though it's five years later. Not a huge thing, just weird; I get that adults wouldn't really change, but having virtually no change on Rocket or Zatanna was odd.

However, that 16 hours thing bugged me throughout the episode. We're supposed to believe that the Justice League and Young Justice and Nightwing, Superboy and Miss Martian were just all "meh, whatevs" for the entire time? They didn't even try to figure it out? And they even ruled out space as the place they went? Really? After five years, I figured at least one person would've thought "Hey, we could've gone to space, right?" Hopefully they have a good explanation as to why they didn't think of anything, and they don't just write it off as "Oh crap, we should've thought of that five years ago".

That being said, I'm hoping this is a sort of alternate timeline or universe, if only because I think that'd be really cool.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 28

I have mixed feelings on the timeskip. I liked Beastboy, Robin (Tim), Woner Girl, BB, and Batgirl as new additions. Dick's evolution into Nightwing and team leader of Young Justice felt right. But the five year timeskip and still nothing on the missing 16 hours was really awkward. Like someone else said the JL never even thought they went into space, despite coming from a vortex (which I assume they know i a Boomtube by now since I doubt the JL has not encountered Darkseid yet. It is even less unlikely considering that one of the six that went missing was a Green Lantern you know a space cop who can travel into space, but space was eliminated as an option? Honestly I do not think this 16 hours story should have been carried over into a five year timeskip. A year or two I could see, but five years seems really forced.

What I liked is that Nightwing evolved into the great leader hehas always been knownfor and his worries about leading the team have been put behind him. Superboy seems like the same character despite five years going by, I was hoping he would be less angry. I guess his break up MM is going to be the excuse for why he still emo boy. I am interested in seeingwhat happened to the other orginla members. Is Wally still Kid Flash or hashe Flash now? If Nightwing is offical team leaderwhat happened to Aqualad? Artemis still a hero orcivlian since Arrowatte is supposed be coming in and four archers on both teams seems like overkill. TheAlien paranoia and racism plot seems like it will be the driving force of this season and I think it has potential to divide the JL/YJ from the world, maybe even divide the team.

My gripe is that John, Hal, and Guy all get a shout out, but no KyleRayner mention! It has been five years now. Surely Kyle has been made a GL by now. He is my favoriteGL, so I was disappointed that there was no mention of him when Alan, Hal, Guy, and John have all been mentioned. Kyle really gets the short end of the stick on animated series.

Edited on 04/28/2012 11:57am

DBTrilogy100

[5]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 7

After much anticipation, Season 2 of Young Justice (also called Young Justice: Invasion) begins, written by Greg Weisman, himself!

*We start off with the very last scene from the previous episode/Season 1 Finale, where Robin and Batman are trying to figure out where the 6 Justice League members (whom, as pointed out in the previous episode talkback, were 6 of the 7 mounding members from the DCAU) did under Vandal Savage's control during the unspecified 16 hours)...

*We don't get a time stamp (not yet, at least), but Superboy is running through some sewers when he's attacked by Clayface (who finally speaks in this show)!

*Luckily, Miss Martian manages to show up and she "cut" her hair! What's this? Blue Beetle? Bumble Bee? Beast Boy? Asides being completely green, Garfield looks older then the 8 year old we saw in Image, but that was only 2 months ago! What the deuce is going on here?

*Holy time skips (yeah, I couldn't resist), it's 5 years after the Season 1 Finale! Ladies and Gentlemen, were going to need a lot of tie-in comics to fill in all these gaps! The upcoming video game should also help shed some light for us!

*Superboy and Miss Martian's lack of physical aging can easily be attributed their alien DNA (Namely, Superboy's Kryptonian DNA physically aging him slower and Miss Martian being a Martian young adult, as well as a shapeshifter).

*Due to the shorten TV airing intro, we don't know how the Young Justice: Invasion intro looks like. Perhaps iTunes will have the full intro?

*The group returns to Mount Justice, where we get to hear the designation number of the new comers! We also see that Mal Duncan joined them, as well as Lagoon Boy!

*What the, Miss Martian and Laggon Boy are now dating? Wolf seems to be as surprised as the audience is and Superboy is visibly (but subtly) upset. I wonder what happened between the two during those 5 years?

*More surprises still, Dick Grayson is now Night Wing (and appears to now be the leader of the team) and Tim Drake is now Robin! Will we ever see Jason Todd in an animated series (he has been seen in animation via Direct to DVD Movies)? We also have another unanswered question: where are Aqualad, Kid Flash and Artemis are now?

*We are now in Rhelasia, where Tseng (from Targets) is being hunted down by "the Main Man", Lobo! I gotta say, his design isn't bad, but I liked his DCAU voice, Brad Garrett (Robert Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond) better then his voice here.

*We see, yet more, new heroes, Wonder Girl and Batgirl! Given the red hair, it's definitely Barbara Gordon donning the costume here! Did Bette Kane ever become Batgirl during those 5 years? Who knows?

*Ah, so that was just an alien disguising itself as Tseng! Lobo was after him for a bounty and it looks like he won't be bothering Earth. I must say, the episode description was pretty good about misleading me into thinking Lobo was a bigger part of the episode.

*Captain Atom finally speaks in the series and requests the Young Justice Team to the Watch Tower!

*Looks like there's a new news anchor in town and his name is G. Gordon Godfrey; he's also voiced by the awesome and talented Tim Curry in this show! DCAU fans will recognize him from the Justice League episode, Eclipsed. What that episode didn't reveal, however, was that Godfrey actually isn't human and serves a certain someone from Appokolips...

*Maybe it's just because Tim Curry is voicing him, but Godfrey is already a "love to hate character" for me! He does at least give Superman and Martian Manhunter kudos. So Zatanna and Rocket joined the Justice League now, eh? Cool!

*At the Watch Tower, we finally learn about those particular 16 Hours! Those who guessed that the 6 Starro-Infected League Members were instigating trouble with aliens and other planets were spot on! This also begs the question of what other trouble the Light has been causing during those 5 years...

*Martian Manhunter also introduces everyone to the scientist who, apparently, helped create the Zeta Tubes, Adam Strange! I wonder if he's, by chance, related to Hugo Strange...

*Adam reveals that he accidentally discovered a planet called Rann and wishes for some young heroes to join me. It looks like Superboy, Miss Martian and Beast Boy will be joining him. Adam warns Superboy that it may not be wise to wear Superman's symbol for the mission, uh oh...

*Given the premise of this Season, I wonder if Starfire will show up...

*Rob...I mean Night Wing assigns the rest of the young heroes on where they should go to find the alien bases with stolen Earth technology. It looks like we, the audience, will be following the adventures of Robin II/Tim Drake, Lagoon Boy and Blue Beetle for the rest of the episode!

*It looks like the Trio have only found a dead end...

*...Now they found a base!

*Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Blue Beetle, but he sure is cracking me up! I can see why fans were exciting for his arrival!

*This whole alien scare has given poor Lagoon Boy some prejudice. At least the captives have the decency to apologize when they see he's a good guy.

*Both Blue Beetle and Lagoon Boy look like they're going to be fountains of Crowning Moments of Funny! As far as the "comedy of the team" goes, I think I already like them better then Kid Flash!

*Anyone else getting DejaVu to Fireworks? The League (and other young heroes) took it better then they did back in said episode! It looks like Zatarra is still fused with Nabu after all these years, poor Zatanna.

*We end the Season 2 Premiere with Adam Strange return to Rann. This time with Miss Martian, her ex-boyfriend and her "blood brother"! What awaits them on this planet? We'll find out next week!

A very interesting way to start Young Justice's 2nd Season/Young Justice: Invasion! That 5 Year Time gap was quite a curveball! I wouldn't say it was bad, just disorienting and surprising (Greg Weisman isn't one likely to do time skips, from what I can remember, at least). But we at least have 19 more episodes (and an upcoming video game and possible future tie-in comics) to fill in the gaps for us. Tim Curry is an awesome addition to the voice cast and it was great to see new heroes joining the team that made a good 1st impression on me! I'm going to have to give it a few more watches so that everything can sink in and to catch anything I missed! Well, I can definitely say that I'm ready to see what Young Justice: Invasion has to offer!

Edited on 04/28/2012 2:06pm

honorableninja

[6]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 13

i don't like the timeskip i mean we come to care about the original team for 26 episodes then they pull this and we have to wait for a video game that come out next year the not everyone might not or can't afford to play the tie-in comics are stupid enough.

why the heck is m'gann dating someone who act way too much like wally what happened between her and connor does cassie have something to do with it?

batgirl is part of the team now but what that mean for robin and zatanna are they still together did they ever get together?

speaking of wally it is me or does that flash look a little like him the bone strutcure seem to make me think so but of course till he unmasked we have no idea.

please don't tell artemis who became my favorite character went bad all the work of her rising above her family dark history don't let it be fore nothing and come on they kissed five year ago did not go anywhere?

robin speech about uneccasry risk to tim was that meaning jason todd or did something befall a missing member of the team aqualad maybe i doubt it we see him in a new costume does that mean he join up with his father black manta?

i plan to keep watching but i hate to say it five years later might translate as jump the shark for young justice.

readapost

[7]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 14
    DBTrilogy100 wrote:

After much anticipation, Season 2 of Young Justice (also called Young Justice: Invasion) begins, written by Greg Weisman, himself!

*We start off with the very last scene from the previous episode/Season 1 Finale, where Robin and Batman are trying to figure out where the 6 Justice League members (whom, as pointed out in the previous episode talkback, were 6 of the 7 mounding members from the DCAU) did under Vandal Savage's control during the unspecified 16 hours)...

*We don't get a time stamp (not yet, at least), but Superboy is running through some sewers when he's attacked by Clayface (who finally speaks in this show)!

*Luckily, Miss Martian manages to show up and she "cut" her hair! What's this? Blue Beetle? Bumble Bee? Beast Boy? Asides being completely green, Garfield looks older then the 8 year old we saw in Image, but that was only 2 months ago! What the deuce is going on here?

*Holy time skips (yeah, I couldn't resist), it's 5 years after the Season 1 Finale! Ladies and Gentlemen, were going to need a lot of tie-in comics to fill in all these gaps! The upcoming video game should also help shed some light for us!

*Due to the shorten TV airing intro, we don't know how the Young Justice: Invasion intro looks like. Perhaps iTunes will have the full intro?

*The group returns to Mount Justice, where we get to hear the designation number of the new comers! We also see that Mal Duncan joined them, as well as Lagoon Boy!

*What the, Miss Martian and Laggon Boy are now dating? Wolf seems to be as surprised as the audience is and Superboy is visibly (but subtly) upset. I wonder what happened between the two during those 5 years?

*More surprises still, Dick Grayson is now Night Wing (and appears to now be the leader of the team) and Tim Drake is now Robin! Will we ever see Jason Todd in an animated series (he has been seen in animation via Direct to DVD Movies)? We also have another unanswered question: where are Aqualad, Kid Flash and Artemis are now?

*We are now in Rhelasia, where Tseng (from Targets) is being hunted down by "the Main Man", Lobo! I gotta say, his design isn't bad, but I liked his DCAU voice, Brad Garrett (Robert Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond) better then his voice here.

*We see, yet more, new heroes, Wonder Girl and Batgirl! Given the red hair, it's definitely Barbara Gordon donning the costume here! Did Bette Kane ever become Batgirl during those 5 years? Who knows?

*Ah, so that was just an alien disguising itself as Tseng! Lobo was after him for a bounty and it looks like he won't be bothering Earth. I must say, the episode description was pretty good about misleading me into thinking Lobo was a bigger part of the episode.

*Captain Atom finally speaks in the series and requests the Young Justice Team to the Watch Tower!

*Looks like there's a new news anchor in town and his name is G. Gordon Godfrey; he's also voiced by the awesome and talented Tim Curry in this show! DCAU fans will recognize him from the Justice League episode, Eclipsed. What that episode didn't reveal, however, was that Godfrey actually isn't human and serves a certain someone from Appokolips...

*Maybe it's just because Tim Curry is voicing him, but Godfrey is already a "love to hate character" for me! He does at least give Superman and Martian Manhunter kudos. So Zatanna and Rocket joined the Justice League now, eh? Cool!

*At the Watch Tower, we finally learn about those particular 16 Hours! Those who guessed that the 6 Starro-Infected League Members were instigating trouble with aliens and other planets were spot on! This also begs the question of what other trouble the Light has been causing during those 5 years...

*Martian Manhunter also introduces everyone to the scientist who, apparently, helped create the Zeta Tubes, Adam Strange! I wonder if he's, by chance, related to Hugo Strange...

*Adam reveals that he accidentally discovered a planet called Rann and wishes for some young heroes to join me. It looks like Superboy, Miss Martian and Beast Boy will be joining him. Adam warns Superboy that it may not be wise to wear Superman's symbol for the mission, uh oh...

*Given the premise of this Season, I wonder if Starfire will show up...

*Rob...I mean Night Wing assigns the rest of the young heroes on where they should go to find the alien bases with stolen Earth technology. It looks like we, the audience, will be following the adventures of Robin II/Tim Drake, Lagoon Boy and Blue Beetle for the rest of the episode!

*It looks like the Trio have only found a dead end...

*...Now they found a base!

*Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Blue Beetle, but he sure is cracking me up! I can see why fans were exciting for his arrival!

*This whole alien scare has given poor Lagoon Boy some prejudice. At least the captives have the decency to apologize when they see he's a good guy.

*Both Blue Beetle and Lagoon Boy look like they're going to be fountains of Crowning Moments of Funny! As far as the "comedy of the team" goes, I think I already like them better then Kid Flash!

*Anyone else getting DejaVu to Fireworks? The League (and other young heroes) took it better then they did back in said episode! It looks like Zatarra is still fused with Nabu after all these years, poor Zatanna.

*We end the Season 2 Premiere with Adam Strange return to Rann. This time with Miss Martian, her ex-boyfriend and her "blood brother"! What awaits them on this planet? We'll find out next week!

A very interesting way to start Young Justice's 2nd Season/Young Justice: Invasion! That 5 Year Time gap was quite a curveball! I wouldn't say it was bad, just disorienting and surprising (Greg Weisman isn't one likely to do time skips, from what I can remember, at least). But we at least have 19 more episodes (and an upcoming video game and possible future tie-in comics) to fill in the gaps for us. Tim Curry is an awesome addition to the voice cast and it was great to see new heroes joining the team that made a good 1st impression on me! I'm going to have to give it a few more watches so that everything can sink in and to catch anything I missed! Well, I can definitely say that I'm ready to see what Young Justice: Invasion has to offer!

I know I was shocked by all of it. I'm so glad Robin is Nightwing now and Beast Boy is back as well. Though the thing that made me go what in the world, was Miss Martian and Batgirl. I can't wait for more.

roweantarts

[8]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 16

I can understand the complaints I'm hearing, and I'll agree the time skip is a little jarring, but I must say I love this epiosde

3 fight scenes

Story set up for the whole series

Loads of new characters introduced, and many given moments to shine

And all that in a tad over 20 minutes, few shows I've ever seen accomplish that much in a single episode.

Tad curious to see what happened between Miss Martian and Superboy, it's likely we'll find out since they're both on Rann together.

Edited on 04/28/2012 12:38pm

Loralee_jk

[9]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 38

So where were Aqualan, Artemis, & Kid Flash???

I DEF. think Artemis is Catherine, the girl w the black hair that greeted Zantana & Rocket @ the door. Then Gordan did a little bio on her. Her voice WAS Artimis, but was that just b/c? Like how sh does the computer voice too? I think not. I very much believe that WAS Artemis!
    So Robins 19, Superboy, Artemis & Kid flash would all be 21. Does SB not age? He looked pretty much the same!
    I like 19 year old Robin!
    And why did SB & Miss Martian break up? HE accepted her when she was white! And then she left him? DON'T LIKE HER ANYMORE!
    However after seeing Rocket give Aqualad that kiss on the cheeck after everyone else was sucking face, very cute! What a lady!

OMG ALSO!!! I THINK I SAW LOIS LANE!!!
    When everyone was in the water one of the first people to pop up was a woman w black hair & looked like she could be a news reporter. AKA LOIS!
    I was like OMG That's Y Superman showed up! To get his lady!...but then everyone showed up..Flashback to Ep 1...If it IS Lois, I wonder is Superman can just take her & no one will notice?

Loralee_jk

[10]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 38
    Also I think only the first 1/2 of the season will be in the future, then they will go bk & show us what led to this...Or wait till season 3 and go back.

edmasterchaos

[11]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 41

Hmm, the Blue Beetle show... is OKAY. It's not awesome, but it's not bad. If things get better, well, this show will be my favorite.

All the Justice League and Young Justice stuff are kinda getting in the way, though.

RaizenYusuke

[12]Apr 28, 2012
    I would haveno problems with the timeskip if it weren't for the missing 16 hours. It was just off putting on how John said they never even considered they went into space. It sounded like they just swept the entire thing under the rug until now. I don't have anything else against it to honest. Suprboy and Miss Martain breaking up did not strike me as odd. Five years is a long time. They are or were teenagers it is natural for them to be hook up and break up. I can wait to find out what happened to the other members of the team. I am really excited to see if Wally is the Flash now or if he is still Kid.

Kindredtown

[13]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 3

I have to say, I did not expect a time skip and a five year time skip at that. i was hoping we'd get to stay in the initial time period and the title of the episode was rather misleading.

I'm also wondering what happened to Aqualad and Artemis. Her being the liason is possible, but probably not likely and KF is probably Flash or taking up another speedster mantle like Impulse.

Alright, Nightwing is 18 now so there's no real issue about him being part of a teenage team, but Mal and Bumblebee were around 16 when they appeared in the series so they're like adults now. I think they would serve better on the adult team.

Now I also agree with the 16 hour thing that everyone dislikes, but I'm really hoping the situation with the two Roys is brought up since not one of them was in this episode.

DBTrilogy100

[14]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 7

Loralee_jk wrote:

Does SB not age? He looked pretty much the same!

Kryptonians physically age slower then Humans do, much like the Saiyans from the Dragonball Trilogy. I remember in the Batman Beyond Two Parter, The Call, Superman didn't look as old as one would expect and Bruce even said something along the lines of, "I could sure use that Kryptonian DNA."

readapost wrote:

I know I was shocked by all of it. I'm so glad Robin is Nightwing now and Beast Boy is back as well. Though the thing that made me go what in the world, was Miss Martian and Batgirl. I can't wait for more.

From the little we saw him, I like where they're going in regards to characterization for Nightwing, one can still tells it's the Robin from Season 1. I also look forward to seeing Batgirl and Beast Boy in action!

Kindredtown

[15]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 3

DBTrilogy100 wrote:

Loralee_jk wrote:

Does SB not age? He looked pretty much the same!

Kryptonians physically age slower then Humans do, much like the Saiyans from the Dragonball Trilogy. I remember in the Batman Beyond Two Parter, The Call, Superman didn't look as old as one would expect and Bruce even said something along the lines of, "I could sure use that Kryptonian DNA."

I also think him looking young has something to do with the cloning process slowing his aging even further than it usually would and that's probably also a reason why he's still with the younger team. That or he feels like it's his home and duty to stay there.

RaizenYusuke

[16]Apr 28, 2012
    I don't think it is a big deal Superboy did not age. Physically he was 16 years of age. It has only been 5 years. People usally do not change much from 16 to 21 in real life in cartoons it is even harder to show people age subtlly. Unless Superboy bigger or given him a different hair style he would be hard to make him age. MM looks the same basically except for her changed hair style Dick was 13 and is now 18 so there is obvious changes for him that can be shown.

ecao123

[17]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 4
    Yeah the time skip thing is kinda a double edged sword:

Pros:
    -New characters
    -Aged old characters (Nightwing, Rocket+Zatanna in JL)
    -Mystery of how new characters joined/what happened in the 5 years

Cons:
    -What happened in the 5 years...
    -"16 hours", something random happens with Lobo and the first thing the JL thinks of is the "16 hours" from 5 years ago? I mean seriously the 16 hours thing has had to become a cold case by now, moreover why they didn't resolve the 16 hours/the light didn't do anything in the past 5 years
    -Too many characters?
    -Not going to see the old team together anymore? (Rocket+Zatanna on JL, KF, Aqualad and Artemis MIA all episode)
    -Where the hell is Roy Harper? After 5 years he's still in a bacta tank (star wars reference...) with the light?

I mean, I usually like timeskips in animated series, but not if there's still character development necessary and/or unresolved plot. I mean, the 16 hours thing seemed pretty urgent. The finding the real Roy Harper issue was definitely urgent. Yet in 5 years the former is mentioned as something still unresolved and Roy Harper isn't mentioned at all? Furthermore, the light has just been sitting around for 5 years doing nothing?

I honestly wish they did another season before doing a timeskip. You can't have the light have ongoing plans and have a timeskip as long as 5 years...

Not to mention some characters from the old team need more character development, namely Rocket, and Zatanna to a lesser extent (I would say Robin too but everybody sorta knows Robin's character from B:TAS and Teen Titans). The entire old team working together probably won't be a regular occurrence because they have to flesh out the new characters.

Basically, I'm really quite annoyed that they didn't fully flesh out the old team before timeskipping, disbanding the team, and introducing an entire new team of characters. That and the whole 16 hours thing and the Roy Harper thing both seemed urgent enough that they should have been resolved within 5 years. Also the light wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing for 5 years either...

perualonso1

[18]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 18

I saw the premiere today. Got to say, the debut of Beast Boy, Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes, Batgirl, Wonder Girl, and Nightwing made it all worthwhile. The downsides were Miss Martian and Superboy no longer being a couple and not having Will Friedle voice Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes like he did in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Did anyone enjoy that?

Why is everyone disgusted with the season premiere? Try feeling "gusted".

I'm looking forward to another YJ:I episode next Saturday.

edmasterchaos

[19]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 41

perualonso1 wrote:

I saw the premiere today. Got to say, the debut of Beast Boy, Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes, Batgirl, Wonder Girl, and Nightwing made it all worthwhile. The downsides were Miss Martian and Superboy no longer being a couple and not having Will Friedle voice Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes like he did in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Did anyone enjoy that?

Why is everyone disgusted with the season premiere? Try feeling "gusted".

I'm looking forward to another YJ:I episode next Saturday.

That is why i LIKE the new season. No stupid whelmed stuff.

Also, Superboy is a kryptonian clone, i say he shouldn't grow up :U

RaizenYusuke

[20]Apr 28, 2012
    Just how different did people expct Superboy to be in five years anyway? Was anyone expecting a mullet or a bread? I liked the episode on its own. The timeskip should have been done later.