Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Robin, where are you?

  • Avatar of bnjay29

    bnjay29

    [21]May 23, 2012
    • member since: 06/29/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 220

    I don't know too much about the relationship between Dick and Wally, but unless I am mistaken, Tim and Conner eventually became best friends in the comics. Much like Bruce and Clark. It would be interesting to see if they incorporate that into this series as well. But seeing as how this Superboy already made a connection with the heroes that came before, it seems unlikely. More likely I bet we would see a Tim/Conner centric episode that in some way pays homage to that relationship. And if they do introduce Bart, even more so.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [22]May 29, 2012
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    firedrakes wrote:
    ONE THING i have notice is if your not really into the lore of dc comics then you wont get half the stuff in the plot some times do to it. where first season did a better job then this season


    I don't agree with that.


    The only thing you'd be missing from knowing "the lore" is that Blue Beetle's origin-explanation in his recent Superboy pair-up was either wrong or a lie and that the Reach are probably involved


    And considering they showed Sportsmaster's "partner" use the same hand-cannon as Blue Beetle then even someone with ZERO knowledge about Blue Beetle would guess at least that someone in BB's type of armor is involved with "The Light"


    The only other "random" thing out there would be Lobo: if you didn't know who he was then then his appearance might seem odd and random.



    But beyond that, nothing this season (or even last) has really relied on knowing any back story.


    Heck, they even handled the Adam Strange thing well enough by having him monologue his origins.



    Everything else this season would be normal surprise / confusion for a 5-year time skip. When show-writers decided to skip THAT far ahead, then part of what to expect is that vast changes happened while we were "away"


    For example, though I know "the lore" I was surprised they decided to ALREADY show the whole Red Arrow's baby thing.


    Edited on 05/29/2012 6:03am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DUDEMAN1414

    DUDEMAN1414

    [23]Jun 5, 2012
    • member since: 01/15/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    i was initially mad about the same thing. they weren't spreading the character development around as much as i'd like, but as the second season has progressed i've noticed they've been better about returning back to characters for the most part. personal opinion
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stevie4eva

    stevie4eva

    [24]Jul 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/20/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 20

    while the times robin has been in the spotlight it was great it doesnt happen nearly enough, i think the show focuses mostly on the other characters. i hope in episodes to come we will see more of dick because he is a awesome character.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stevie4eva

    stevie4eva

    [25]Jul 17, 2012
    • member since: 06/20/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 20

    while the times robin has been in the spotlight it was great it doesnt happen nearly enough, i think the show focuses mostly on the other characters. i hope in episodes to come we will see more of dick because he is a awesome character.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pokemonmonmon

    pokemonmonmon

    [26]Jul 21, 2012
    • member since: 07/18/11
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 188

    robin is almost as well known as batman is and he has mroe than enough publicity. hes already had his spotlight and in teen titans he was the leader for 4 anda half seasons. im glad they focus on him the least because we already know enough about him and we dotn know enough abotu alot of the other characters

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [27]Jul 23, 2012
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    pokemonmonmon wrote:


    robin is almost as well known as batman is and he has mroe than enough publicity. hes already had his spotlight and in teen titans he was the leader for 4 anda half seasons. im glad they focus on him the least because we already know enough about him and we dotn know enough abotu alot of the other characters




    Yes and no. Robin, as a whole, is very well known. But throw in the fact that there have been 4+ Robins and that Dick is now Nightwing... and your average person is unaware.


    Most people are familiar with Dick Grayson... either from the old Adam West series or just the generic back story (acrobat / trapeze artist family killed, Bruce takes him in). Beyond that... the average Joe just knows Robin as Batman's/Bruce's sidekick that wears the bright colors.



    Now we have Tim Drake sporting the "R" in the cartoon and let's face it... unless you're into comics or saw the one or two episodes in the Batman cartoon dedicated to his origins... the average Joe doesn't know Tim from a hole in the wall.


    Heck, the average Joe doesn't know who the frack the "Nightwing" is.



    So yeh, Batman's / Superman's / Flash's / etc origins are quite well known as is stuff about their personal lives. But to the average person... Tim might as well be any of the other newcomers.



    -

    Edited on 07/23/2012 8:56am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teenj12

    teenj12

    [28]Aug 9, 2012
    • member since: 07/17/10
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,168

    kanniballl wrote:


    pokemonmonmon wrote:


    robin is almost as well known as batman is and he has mroe than enough publicity. hes already had his spotlight and in teen titans he was the leader for 4 anda half seasons. im glad they focus on him the least because we already know enough about him and we dotn know enough abotu alot of the other characters




    Yes and no. Robin, as a whole, is very well known. But throw in the fact that there have been 4+ Robins and that Dick is now Nightwing... and your average person is unaware.


    Most people are familiar with Dick Grayson... either from the old Adam West series or just the generic back story (acrobat / trapeze artist family killed, Bruce takes him in). Beyond that... the average Joe just knows Robin as Batman's/Bruce's sidekick that wears the bright colors.



    Now we have Tim Drake sporting the "R" in the cartoon and let's face it... unless you're into comics or saw the one or two episodes in the Batman cartoon dedicated to his origins... the average Joe doesn't know Tim from a hole in the wall.


    Heck, the average Joe doesn't know who the frack the "Nightwing" is.



    So yeh, Batman's / Superman's / Flash's / etc origins are quite well known as is stuff about their personal lives. But to the average person... Tim might as well be any of the other newcomers.




    Eh, newcomers like my self who haven't read the comics or have seen those old 90s shows, should probably know that Wikipedia is your friend .

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [29]Aug 23, 2012
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312


    teenj12 wrote:


    Eh, newcomers like my self who haven't read the comics or have seen those old 90s shows, should probably know that Wikipedia is your friend .




    True, but only a pretty major fan would want to look up stuff like that on Wikipedia


    But a solid show show NOT rely on viewers to have to research stuff and read Wikipedia to know what the heck is going on, who's that person, etc. It should give you enough background on a character so you know who they are and what is their motivation. Back-story is really secondary with a large cast: so long as you know who they are and a little about their personality it's bare-bones enough.


    A couple of lines of dialog about Tim and how thebatonpassed from Dick to Tim would be solid, I don't recall if they had that already. A back-story episode would be nice for the people that just don't know... but with the cast so big now I don't think we'll get many of those.





    I'm not saying the show is doing is doing a bad job introducing us to the characters: the cast is a bit large now so we can't expect to get a major back-story episode for everyone like we got for the original crew. Just that no show should ever rely on people reading Wiki pages to know what's what.



    Edited on 08/23/2012 6:28am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [30]Aug 27, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,478
    Well all things considered (by no means am I giving them a pass on the lack of info on the new characters), the show has done a better job with at least a few characters compared to JLU. In JLU there were a ton of new faces and hardly many of them got any back stories or even attention. Ie: some of them were 'just there'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pokemonmonmon

    pokemonmonmon

    [31]Aug 29, 2012
    • member since: 07/18/11
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 188

    MajLorne wrote:
    Well all things considered (by no means am I giving them a pass on the lack of info on the new characters), the show has done a better job with at least a few characters compared to JLU. In JLU there were a ton of new faces and hardly many of them got any back stories or even attention. Ie: some of them were 'just there'.
    exactly!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fionav3

    fionav3

    [32]Oct 6, 2012
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 138

    kanniballl wrote:


    True, but only a pretty major fan would want to look up stuff like that on Wikipedia


    But a solid show show NOT rely on viewers to have to research stuff and read Wikipedia to know what the heck is going on, who's that person, etc. It should give you enough background on a character so you know who they are and what is their motivation. Back-story is really secondary with a large cast: so long as you know who they are and a little about their personality it's bare-bones enough.


    A couple of lines of dialog about Tim and how thebatonpassed from Dick to Tim would be solid, I don't recall if they had that already. A back-story episode would be nice for the people that just don't know... but with the cast so big now I don't think we'll get many of those.



    I'm not saying the show is doing is doing a bad job introducing us to the characters: the cast is a bit large now so we can't expect to get a major back-story episode for everyone like we got for the original crew. Just that no show should ever rely on people reading Wiki pages to know what's what.





    That is an excellent point. Characters like Robin and Batgirl have had a few people assume those mantles, but very few outside the comic book community are aware of that. Moreover, some DC characters have been retconned so many times that origin stories change all the time. It only adds to the confusion if they start playing all of this into a cartoon without some sort of transition. Personally, I think the cast of season 2 is FAR too large and the show has really started to bore me because I don't really like any of the season 2 characters. Believe me, I have tried...but season 1 just did a much stronger job on the characterisation. I constantly wonder why they couldn't have stuck with the original team for season 2 and done the time skip in season 3. Maybe it wouldn't have felt so jarring then.


    But on a side note to what this thread was originally about; I too would have loved to have seen more of Robin on the show. If they put him in the background because he was so well known so they could showcase the others then why put such effort into creating such an endearing little Robin. They gave him some great little quirks (like that creepy little laugh and the playing with prefixes) that really added to the whole character and it seemed like such a shame to put such effort into creating his personality only not to showcase it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [33]Oct 7, 2012
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,093

    This topic applies to the newest Robin in the series, Tim now I suppose. He is basically a background character. Dick was a established character who had gotten development by this point in season 1. However, Tim has a lot going against him that Dick did not, namely the large cast season 2 has. Six characters to manage is better than the 12 or so characters we have now.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fionav3

    fionav3

    [34]Oct 7, 2012
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 138

    RaizenYusuke wrote:


    This topic applies to the newest Robin in the series, Tim now I suppose. He is basically a background character. Dick was a established character who had gotten development by this point in season 1. However, Tim has a lot going against him that Dick did not, namely the large cast season 2 has. Six characters to manage is better than the 12 or so characters we have now.




    Which is one of my major issues with season 2; there are just too many characters to add any depth to them in a 21 minute slot. And if it's Tim Drake's Robin on the show we're discussing (I thought from reading the other comments that it was season 1's Robin) then to sum up my thoughts on him in one word would be; bland. Again, not his fault. I liked Tim Drake in the comics but there's been zero character development in season 2 to actually care enough about a character to want to see them on screen and that includes Robin.


    I don't mean to sound harsh, I've only newly come to Young Justice in the last few weeks and was absolutely blown away by season one (will they ever release a complete season box set?!! Seriously, I want!) but I just found season 2 to be such a disappointment. As a hard core DC fan, this was the first time in a LONG time that I've been so excited about an animated show, but season 2 killed that. Maybe I came into it with too high expectations after season 1?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [35]Oct 7, 2012
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,093
    We were discussing Dick. I thought since Tim is a background character now that this topic applies to him now. I agree with you on the large cast not being developed. It doesn't help that the focus is staying on the original 6 members, so the newest ones are barely getting developed. Blue Beetle and Impulse are the only really developed ones.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teenj12

    teenj12

    [36]Oct 11, 2012
    • member since: 07/17/10
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,168
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    We were discussing Dick. I thought since Tim is a background character now that this topic applies to him now. I agree with you on the large cast not being developed. It doesn't help that the focus is staying on the original 6 members, so the newest ones are barely getting developed. Blue Beetle and Impulse are the only really developed ones.
    This, I want more screen time for the rest, such as Wonder Girl, Bat Girl, etc. Right now they are kinda boring compared to the trials and tribulations of the original 6.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.