Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Should Superman be responsible for Superboy?

Loralee_jk

[1]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 38

Should Superman be responsible for Superboy?

Batman & other comic heros have reffered to superboy as Supermans child, is this true & should Superman parent him?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Loralee_jk

[2]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 38

Personally I don't think so. He is a clone & Superman has no real reason to take care of him. If someone brought you a 16 year old half cone of you & someone you already hated, would you want to him them? Introduce them to your lover & friends?? NNOOO!
    How would he explain that to them anyways?!?!? He's not 'pushing' off his responsibilities, he just doesn't have any.
    It would be nice if he hung out w him, but have a clone freaks him out, so he doesn't!

RaizenYusuke

[3]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 28

Should he raise Superboy as his son? No. I don't think he is there yet. It is messed up every time he sees Superboy he acts like he can't wait to get away from him. But I like Superman is keeping Superboy at a distance (somewhat) because it shows how human he is. Most normal people would act like that. I love when shows focus on Superman's human characteristics and less on him being the savior of mankind.

I would think he would want to get to know Conner. The kid has no real family. Superman has experience what he is going through, growing up with powers. I would settle for a good job Superboy and small conversations, or a attempt to get to know Superboy just a little. Batman was right about one thing. Superboy needs someone. Superboy has his friends, but episodes that show mentors/family check in on the other members of the team makes him feel like a outcast.

SpiritOfNabu

[4]May 3, 2012
    • level: 1
    For no other reason, than to train Conner, yes. He's gotta to prove himself worthy of the 'S'

As far as treating him like family, no. He's got to prove himself.

stevie4eva

[5]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 2

I dont think he needs to. I mean how hes acting is understandible, and he shouldnt be responsible for him, i mean its not like superboy is his son, somebody made superboy without even telling him, he has no responsibility to a kid that isnt even his...hwoever it would be nice if he supported superboys attempts at being bigger than what he was created for (evil) superboy needs somebody and superman is the perfect man for helping him deal with his powers superboy needs sopport and family, but superman doesnt. i like how in season 2 superman refers to him as little brother instead of son, and he has grown to love superboy

teenj12

[6]Aug 9, 2012
    • level: 26
    Clone or not, he is still his child. Superboy didn't ask to be cloned.'

Don't put yourself in Superman's position, put yourself in Superboy's.

How would you feel if you were a clone and your blood father didn't want you? You didn't ask to be cloned.

pokemonmonmon

[7]Aug 14, 2012
    • level: 5

it would be the ncie thing to do but Superman doesn't HAVE TO take be responsible for him because it's an illegal child. Besdies, did you guys forget that there are TONS of Superboy clones and Connor just happened to be the one that got out? If all of the clones started acting like Superboy i suppose Superman should be responsible for them too? No. It would be the nice thing to do but Superman doesn't HAVE TO. I feel Superboys pain really I do but he needs to understand that he may have been cloned from Superman but neither of them had any willing part in that. Superman didn't just knock up some random girl and Superboy had no choice in the say.

kanniballl

[8]Aug 23, 2012
    • level: 18

pokemonmonmon wrote:

... Besdies, did you guys forget that there are TONS of Superboy clones and Connor just happened to be the one that got out? ...

When do we see TONS of Superboy clones?

We see many-MANY cloning/biological tubes, but we only ever see Conner and Match as superman-looking things inside.

Other things we saw inside the tubes included: organs, limbs, critters, and Roy Harper.

kanniballl

[9]Aug 23, 2012

Well, be last season's finale we finally see that Superman has warmed up to him and accepted him. And in the comics, he eventually takes a more active role AND has Ma + Pa Kent help raise him right.

But morally and ethics: it's a tough choice.

Imagine if you donated sp*rm and a few years later found out someone chose your "donation," had a kid, and tracked you down. Are you responsible for him? No. The most I might say is, if it came down to the kid needing a bone marrow transplant or something then maybe want to consider it. But for other stuff (parenting, raising, etc), not really.

On the other hand, if you found out a one-night-stand from a couple of years back resulted in a child... then yeh you should be responsible for him. Perhaps the mother doesn't want you involved, in which case you have to decide whether you want to fight for this (and complicate the kid's life) or let the mother have her way. But there are loads of things to consider here. At the very least you should be financially responsible. As for raising, it would have to be something all adult parties agree on.

The issue with Superman is more akin to: a stalker digging through your trash, finding a disposed c*ndom or something with your "donation" and uses that to have a kid. At which point you're even more removed from the scenario than both the sp*rm donation AND the one night stand. It was something done against your will and without your knowledge. At which case, what do you do? Probably something with lawyers + child services since the mother is a nut job. But on a personal level with the kid? Tough call.

Here, Lex is the Stalker. He picked up some discarded DNA sample (I forget where they got it) and made the "child"

Edited on 08/23/2012 6:16am

MajLorne

[10]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 21
    Great debate. I will say that if Conner didn't have any of superman's powers, then no question, Superman doesn't have to give him any attention. Unfortunately, because conner has some of his powers, he would be dangerous if he was left a rouge. Though it's not Superman's responsibility to 'bond' with his 'kid', he has to to keep Conner on the right path or else there's another threat on the loose. I think for the overall good, Superman has to give Conner some support and it was good seeing them like 'brothers' in their last team up before Superman and the other founders had to stand trial.

RaizenYusuke

[11]Aug 30, 2012
    • level: 28

I think the reason some are shocked by Superman kept Superboy at bay in the first season because this is Superman. If this was any othercharacter I do not think any of us would look twice at this question, but because Superman is such a postive force and goes well beyond what is expected of him most were shocked he acted like any other person who found out he was DNA jacked and used to make a new life. This shown in the first season with how everyone in the League even Batman expect him to take Conner in and teach him, Batman even going as far as deeming him Conner's father, because Clark is Superman.

Most seem to agree that Superman had nothing to feel guilt about his treatment of Conner judging from most post saying the same thing. Their brotherly relationship is better for them than father and son. We can't all be Bruce and Oliver when comes to adopting kids lol.

kanniballl

[12]Sep 4, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I think the reason some are shocked by Superman kept Superboy at bay in the first season because this is Superman. If this was any othercharacter I do not think any of us would look twice at this question, but because Superman is such a postive force and goes well beyond what is expected of him most were shocked he acted like any other person who found out he was DNA jacked and used to make a new life. This shown in the first season with how everyone in the League even Batman expect him to take Conner in and teach him, Batman even going as far as deeming him Conner's father, because Clark is Superman.

Most seem to agree that Superman had nothing to feel guilt about his treatment of Conner judging from most post saying the same thing. Their brotherly relationship is better for them than father and son. We can't all be Bruce and Oliver when comes to adopting kids lol.

That's true: Superman IS big on the whole "do the right thing ALWAYS, no matter how inconvenient" and is often depicted as such. He's often so good that it's corny.

Though sometimes, be it comics or TV, Superman is also depicted as good ol' Clark underneath it all: a surprisingly normal/grounded person considering all of his godly powers. That even though in public he will be smiling and telling kids to eat their vegetables, in private or as Clark will honestly admit how ANGRY Lex makes him or how he doesn't like this-or-that. I imagine his inner-Clark isn't so happy about being cloned without his knowledge/permission in hopes of making a weapon to KILL him.

Meanwhile, you have the fact that many comics/series mention that Superman is pretty much on-call 24/7. And that while his day-job lets him keep his sanity while giving him the option to sneak out a window... he needs to be saving lives most of the day. And with the exception of keeping himself sane AND keeping himself in touch with humanity (via Lois) everything else that takes time away from saving people will cost lives.

NOW... training a young Kryptonian to be (A) a hero (B) smart with his powers and (C) something about life that he didn't learn from his Genome training... that's a good chunk of the day. Every day. For years. If Batman is offering the resources of the new young-justice team to do all of that, then that's dozens or hundreds of people a day he can save.

Plus, what better way is there to teach a (physically) teenage male social skills than hanging with other teens? And face it, Connor needed some SERIOUS social skills in the beginning.

That being said... Clark's reaction to Bruce at the diner was more bitter than I would have expected. Had me played it off a little warmer and said something about him hanging with kids his own "age" or whatever it would have been one thing. But he more or less told Bruce to jump off a pier.

Edited on 09/04/2012 8:10am
    Edited 2 total times.

mariacameron5

[13]May 29, 2013
    • level: 1

Yes, because the half of Superboy's DNA that is Kryptonian has clearly come from him, and therefore Superman should take responsibility for his son! To me it looks like Lex Luthor is doing a better job, and that's an achievement! Surely Superman doesn't want his rival to win... Does he?