Young Justice Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

The Timeskip

RaizenYusuke

[21]May 22, 2012
    • level: 28
    I like your idea. I know we should probably just accept the timeskip and stop complaining, but I one more season, just one more season would have made thi timeskip not seem so sudden.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bnjay29

[22]May 23, 2012
    • level: 5

Personally I feel they should have renamed the show Young Justice Unlimited seeing the route they went. But I also feel these guys have a plan for the show and I at least won't be quick to judge when the season isn't even half way through.

hankgillette

[23]May 23, 2012
    • level: 13

bnjay29 wrote:

Personally I feel they should have renamed the show Young Justice Unlimited seeing the route they went.

As far as my TiVo is concerned, they did rename the show (to Young Justice: Invasion), so I missed the first episode of the new season leaving me really confused.

bnjay29

[24]May 27, 2012

hankgillette wrote:

bnjay29 wrote:

Personally I feel they should have renamed the show Young Justice Unlimited seeing the route they went.

As far as my TiVo is concerned, they did rename the show (to Young Justice: Invasion), so I missed the first episode of the new season leaving me really confused.

That's exactly what happened to me! It was worse with another show. Was airing new episodes under a different title for WEEKS before I checked up on it and realized I was missing them.

Edited on 05/27/2012 11:41am

stevie4eva

[25]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 2

three words I.HATE. IT.

we spent the whole first season learning and caring about these characters and then they just ripped everything we loved away. I cant care aboaut the characters the way i could in the first season because we have missed so much oftheir lives. Then we have the new characters that we werent gradually introduced to . Because of this we cant really care about them. I hope everything wont be explained through flashbacks. they dont have the same emotional involvment that it would if it was happening not through flashbacks. when 22/30 minutes is flashback we miss out on the plot and actual character development

teenj12

[26]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 26
    I absolutely hate the timeskip. It destroyed the show a bit! Season 1 was kinda better to me. I mean, I miss my originals . Rob, Aqua, Kid, SB, MM, Artemis, and Zatanna. They were the perfect team! Everything was so right! Now they are all divided and a bunch of new brats replaced them. I don't hate S2. Its good in its on way and an engaging adventure, but I will just always like S1 better.

pokemonmonmon

[27]Jul 9, 2012

teenj12 wrote:
    I absolutely hate the timeskip. It destroyed the show a bit! Season 1 was kinda better to me. I mean, I miss my originals . Rob, Aqua, Kid, SB, MM, Artemis, and Zatanna. They were the perfect team! Everything was so right! Now they are all divided and a bunch of new brats replaced them. I don't hate S2. Its good in its on way and an engaging adventure, but I will just always like S1 better.
    in my opinion i dont think s2 is THAT BAD. i do agree that just when we were getting used to these characters and they were reaching their climax, BAM timeskip. but i like how all the questions are slowly being answered and personally, ive always felt that the dc universe was so large that certain people dont egt enough screen time. same goes for marvel as well. there are people in this show that i ddint even know existed before watching it. and i like how every hero has a sidekick. it gives you an idea of what their personalities may have been like when they were younger. besides its now like we dont see them in the timeskip, its just not as often.

kanniballl

[28]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 18

I don't mind the time skip, though I'm not a fan of the much larger roster.

The only real down-side to the time-skip for character growth was Wally + Artemis. While the end of the previous season was showing signs that he was going for Artemis we didn't really see it happen. So we do lose that emotional growth + connection that makes Artemis's mini-sacrifice all the more meaningful by leaving him temporarily.

The time skip lets us see some new aspects of the characters. So instead of Me'gan just having a lousy Monday and deciding from that-day-on she will lobotomize the enemy... SOMETHING happened over the course of 5 years to push her. What? We don't know: maybe a single event or maybe years of stuff.

But it flows better than "Arg my Tivo forgot to record the Hello Megan marathon! I'm so angry I think I'll lobotomize people!"

The same goes for Red Arrow. Instead of watching his downward spiral for a depressing number of episodes/seasons, we skip forward to the very angry and possible drunk/druggie Arsenal. I'd rather this one go that way, because teenager angst is annoying. A more mature/adult in a spiral is good drama... a teen in a downward spiral is just annoying.

So either so much of the show would be on his downward spiral it would be annoying, or we'd see him drop a lot in like a single episode's events.

Edited on 07/10/2012 7:46am

kanniballl

[29]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 18

As for the larger roster... as much as I like Blue Beetle (in general) I think it's too much.

At least with the regular Justice League series we had a 2 seasons to get to know the main characters and resolve some things before "moving on" to a new cast.

Now Dick is pretty much out of the picture and we have to learn about Tim

Wally is pretty much out of the picture (unless that changes) and we have to learn about Bart

Aqualad has BEEN out of the picture and we've been learning about Blue Lagoon Boy (or whatever his name is)

Blue Beetle, well I like him and he MIGHT be tying into the invasion

Throw in Bat Girl, Wonder Girl, and some others... and the core cast is really side lined. And too soon at that.

AnYCorp

[30]Aug 3, 2012
    • level: 1

Hi everybody! I know, this topic is not the most recent one. But I made a video a while back, dealing with the timeskip and my opinion about it and I though you might find it intersting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEL4Ww8a2k

yutg25

[31]Sep 30, 2012

BOOOO!

The timeskip was bad. They cut so many things out I am not sure I can get back on this show.

A lot of people have been commenting about the character changes and seemed to skip this one: Why is Zatanna in the Justice League what happened to her axe with Nabu and Doctor Fate I really want to know!

So many new characters I hoped they'd limit it to core members Robin/Dick, Superboy, Wonder girl, Bumblebee, Impulse, Miss Martia, Zatanna, Batgirl, Blue Beetle (Only cuz I suspect he has big role to play in the invasion), Kaldur.

Also My big problem is the new characters I REALLY DON'T LIKE LAGOON BOY! I hope he vanishes for another 5 years.

I just need to get that out. I just think this was a recipe for early cancellation. There's no going back now anyway.

MajLorne

[32]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 21
    Have you been watching all the episodes so far? I don't think it's 'cancelation' bad. Should they have expanded more on the new characters? Yes, but at least this show's doing things a little bit better than JLU where they had a ton of people and they never provided much of an appearance or speaking role (not even a small back story) for them. So I think YJ is just fine.

pokemonmonmon

[33]Oct 3, 2012

exactly ^ as logn as they slowly fill us in on what haoppened during the timeskip ill be fine. thats starting to happen anyway. i mean just ebcause you dont liek a few peopel in the show doesnt mean it needs to be cancelled. the dc and marvel unmiverse is huge and personally im happy theyre giving random characters at least an episode by themself/ves rather than having a bunch of people appear and liek show a short scene of them fighting just to acknowledge their existence. as for the whole thing with zataanas father, he is still under the control of the helmet and was among the older memebers who went to some intergalactic meeting or whatever

teenj12

[34]Oct 11, 2012
    Yes, they are starting to explain more things, but the simple fact is, the timeskip and the larger roaster will always be a sort of downfall to the show. It won't be as good as S1 was.

MadV

[35]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 1

I'm liking it better than s1 tbh

RaizenYusuke

[36]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 28
    The time skip isn't what is going to kill this show. All the long breakes after only showing a few episdes in a row is gettng tiring. People are going to get sick of keeping up with Cartoon Network's casual change of their programing on their wims....

djboy77

[37]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 7

"Tying up loose ends" before a time-skip makes no sense whatsoever to me. Nothing in anyone's life is ever neatly tied up, not all at the same time. Family, work, friends, romantic relationships, there's always something going on in at least one of those areas. Then multiply that by the number of characters in the series and try to make loose end-tying up not be completely contrived. It is far more realistic that there should be things left in the air (eg: the missing 16 hours) when your view of a snapshot in time shifts to a later time-frame. Thankfully, this now happens more frequently in series finales than it used to - Transformers Animated, for example, although disappointingly not renewed for a fourth season, left the fate and status of characters, particularly Decepticons, up in the air at the end of the third season, allowing the larger universe to continue to exist beyond just the cartoon. You wrap every plot thread, every character arc up neatly, and the universe has no need to exist any more.

In the case of YJ which didn't actually end, there's opportunity to explore what happened in the gap, just as they did on fellow 5-year-skip show, Desperate Housewives. It's not like everything just stopped - stuff happened, and life continued in the gap. The things that were up in the air didn't just go away at the end of S1, and if they're important enough to the character or the plot, we'll hear about them, and learn why the characters have become who they are "now".

teenj12

[38]Oct 29, 2012
    djboy77 wrote:

"Tying up loose ends" before a time-skip makes no sense whatsoever to me. Nothing in anyone's life is ever neatly tied up, not all at the same time. Family, work, friends, romantic relationships, there's always something going on in at least one of those areas. Then multiply that by the number of characters in the series and try to make loose end-tying up not be completely contrived. It is far more realistic that there should be things left in the air (eg: the missing 16 hours) when your view of a snapshot in time shifts to a later time-frame. Thankfully, this now happens more frequently in series finales than it used to - Transformers Animated, for example, although disappointingly not renewed for a fourth season, left the fate and status of characters, particularly Decepticons, up in the air at the end of the third season, allowing the larger universe to continue to exist beyond just the cartoon. You wrap every plot thread, every character arc up neatly, and the universe has no need to exist any more.

In the case of YJ which didn't actually end, there's opportunity to explore what happened in the gap, just as they did on fellow 5-year-skip show, Desperate Housewives. It's not like everything just stopped - stuff happened, and life continued in the gap. The things that were up in the air didn't just go away at the end of S1, and if they're important enough to the character or the plot, we'll hear about them, and learn why the characters have become who they are "now".

Your argument is good, but the point is, the time skip just shouldn't have happened at all. They should have waited at least another season to do something so like that and so hastily.

fionav3

[39]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 3

I hate and despise the time skip with every fibre of my being.

I've watched most of season 2 but I'm really not enjoying it; its like watching a completely different show. The new characters are just painful they're so dull (hate Tim Drake and Blue Beetle in particular...both so insipid and boring) and the spark or chemistry that the season one team had is missing from the season two team. I also think the roster of characters could be cut in half at this point. I'm getting tired of the never ending roll call of characters the show seems determined to shove down our throat. The more episodes I watch the more irritated I get; could they not have continued with the season one team, evolved them a bit more and then done the time skip in season 3? I fail to see why it was necessary to skip five years into the future to explain what the light was doing or why it would take the team so long to discover what the league members did during the missing 16 hours. I also agree with what everyone said about it making no sense that it would take the Green Lanterns five years to discover that one went postal off world. I also think that J'onn would have been able to pry the memories of what happened from the League members long before now. Its just really a really weak plot device to be honest. Anyone old enough to remember the original Dallas when Bobby died for two years and then suddenly just showed up in the shower one morning? They show explained it by depicting his two year death as just a bad dream his wife had. To me, the season 2 time skip is bad enough that its almost on a level with that.Undecided

I've been hanging in there just praying the show would rediscover its old magic, but with every episode my interest dies a little more. I half decided after the last one that I'm not going to bother watching anymore, just read the blurbs online to find out what happened. I just don't CARE enough about the current cast to care enough to watch what happens to them which is sad really because I hadn't gotten as excited about a show in a long time as I got about season one of Young Justice. They just killed it for me with Season 2.

Edited on 10/29/2012 5:40pm

djboy77

[40]Feb 8, 2013
    • level: 7

_You_ think it "shouldn't have happened at all". It's not a fact. Personally, I enjoy it. I like seeing, for example, Nightwing, after his tenure as Robin. That he's now the leader that he wasn't ready to be in S1, and that Batman predicted he would be. Instead of seeing a slow burn over 5 seasons, and not really noticing the gradual change.

I have absolutely no objections whatsoever to the Timeskip. Happy, satisfied and enjoying it. You'll either get over it, or you won't and you should stop watching. Either way, don't presume to speak on behalf of everyone.

Edited on 02/08/2013 4:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.