Young Justice

Independence Day (1)

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Nov 26, 2010 on Cartoon Network

• Good, but not what I expected...

When I first heard about this show, I thought that it was going to be the next best thing since JL/JLU. Especially with GREG FREAKIN' WEISMAN attached to it. Frankly, I was 'underwhelmed'. The action was lacking, the producers chose all of the WRONG people to be voice actors, I hated the new J'onn J'onzz design (seriously, why can't people stick with what he looked like in JL/JLU? Everyone seems to be using this for his new design), and the plot was insufficient. Make no mistake, the action and intrigue were still just about as cuttng edge as you can get, but it just wasn't what I was expecting after all of the buildup and the hype and the secretiveness of the project (and the fact that Greg Weisman- the designer of W.I.T.C., Spectacular Spider-man, and Gargoyles- was attached and at the helm). The Cadmus thing seemed a little overrated and the fact that they were making a Superman clone was kind of, I don't know, expected, obvious, overused. Be realistic. Almost every premier episode of a show whose base is in the DC universe in some way involves Superman. I kind of expected him (or in this case, an illigitimate clone of him) to be central to the plot line. Overall, good episode, but it could stand some work.