Young Justice

Welcome to Happy Harbor

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Jan 21, 2011 on Cartoon Network

• A Heroine Emerges

I like Miss Martian! Even though she isn't a super strong female protagonist, she's realistic and brings an interesting element to the team. Loving the interaction between her and Superboy. The episode overall was wonderful as it had great action sequences and a unique plot line. Can't wait to watch the next one!
  • A Good and Strong Heroine, But Was Hoping For Wonder Girl.

I just found out that this show is loosely based on the comic book of the same name. However, I won't care as I haven't read those comics yet although I tend to get them if I go to the U.S.A. and Miss Martian is arole model for young girls watching Young Justice. But, to me, I wasn't keen on seeing her. Why? Read my review of Teen Wolf's episode 2 and you'll get my point of view. I'm looking for a tomboy or an aggressive girl like Wonder Girl. Even if I didn't read those Young Justice comics (original stories) I kind of see spoilers of Wonder Girl's abilities and her personality suits my liking to a heroine. Hopefully (spoiler alert!) it's Cassie Sandsmark in season 2.
  • Starts out weak, gets better.

I was really excited for Young Justice after hearing the concept and seeing the hour-long pilot. Not to mention Greg Weisman. This episode almost made me drop my hopes. After a good cold open with Speedy, we get to the headquarters and Martian Girl...and get about 10 minutes worth of exposition dumped on us. A full, dull explanation of Martian Girl's powers, and constant "Kid Flash has a crush on Martian Girl" that gets repeated so often it gets old fast. She also comes off like a bit of a forced character. Eventually, though, a villain comes along, the characters have some nice self-aware moments, and there's a good fight sequence. Overall, the episode could've really done with a little less whining, a lot less explaining, and a little more fighting, but it comes out solid with a hook at the end.
  • Better

I actually liked this one a tad more than the premier. This one really showed an increase on the inense action, the team building effort, the roles of the Young Justice Squad, and the emotional level. The action was definitely first rate and I think that the plot got a definite advance from the professor and his assistant, who clearly mean the YJ team and/or Red Tornado himself harm. The team is definitely starting to come together as more of a family than a group of show-offs who can do no more than try to prove themselves. There is also an important underlying question: should the young heroes stay as a part of the team or should they cut their losses and go out on their own. The League obviously doesn't trust them the way that they should and Red Tornado acted a TEENSY bit turdish when the heroes just tried to offer him their help if he ever needed it. I like how Superboy is starting to develop as a person and as a member of the team (even to the point where he made what is obviously his first apology to ANYONE he has ever met) and how the group is starting to trust Miss Martian more and let her in on team activities (such as fighting the bad guys and making plans). There were definitely some hilarious moments, like when everyone thought that Miss Martian had killed the pilot of the tornado battle suit, how all of the boys are starting to fawn over Miss Martian (who I will take back all previous statements about and admit [now that she's actually been featured in a prominent role] is getting hotter by the MOMENT) while she is obviously oblivious to their advances, and how Miss Martian is trying so hard to blend into earth culture. On a side note, Im really starting to HATE Robin's whole trend of making and shredding common words (he did this with the word 'whelmed' in the premier, and he did it in this episode with the word 'turbed').