Yu-Gi-Oh! GX

The CW (ended 2008)

someone198

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Fan Reviews (316)

• Yu-Gi-Oh! GX may be very different from the original Duel Monsters, but who says that's a bad thing?

I notice a lot of people seem to dislike GX. Maybe it's because they find the main character, Jaden Yuki, annoying. Maybe it's because they find the idea of a duel school stupid. Or maybe it's because a lot of them are fans of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and refuse to open their mind and actually watch GX, instead of complaining about how it's nothing like the original Duel Monsters!

Personally, I believe it's the latter.

What is GX about? It starts off with a teenage boy, Jaden Yuki, entering Duel Academy (which is owned by Seto Kaiba, from the original Duel Monsters). He makes friends, of course, and deals with a mean teacher, mean students, and anything else you'd expect to see in a show about a teenager going to a boarding school. Of course, there are duels, and because this is Yu-Gi-Oh!, duels lead to villains.

At least that's how it starts off as.

In the later seasons, the duels do become much more serious. The seriousness of these duels even end up affecting the cheerful, happy-go-lucky Jaden Yuki we had all come to know (and love!) and suddenly the show isn't just about a kid going to a duel school. It becomes something much more. I'm not going to go into further detail about that; I don't want to give anyone spoilers!

But, I am going to say this. The show really goes into depth about the characters. And it's great seeing the amount of character development many of the characters go through. The episodes, while many of them may be very light-hearted and not as serious as the original, there many more serious episodes and episodes with darker tones.

I'm not saying GX is perfect. It has its flaws, just like every show does. What I am saying though is that you should give the show a chance. Watch the episodes. Pay attention to the character development. Don't just decide not to watch it because someone told you it was terrible and not worth-watching. And don't just drop the show after watching the first 5 episodes, because it gets much better.

I have seen GX bring a lot of new fans into the fandom and hopefully, it will continue to bring in fans.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX will continue to remain my favourite Yu-Gi-Oh! series and I personally recommend it to everyone. You should all give it a try and you might just love it as much I do.