Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Saturday 11:30 AM on The CW Premiered Oct 15, 2011 In Season

JusticeLeaguer

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Fan Reviews (19)

7.2
  • main character lets the show down

His voice is my main concern, it just angers me so much... his catchphrase is terrible, high-fiving the sky is terrible. That is all, i like astral i like tori, theyre both great characters. But its about yugioh so its okayish
  • the catchphrase...

I would like to point out, that the new catchphrase honestly sounds like somebody is ejaculating up inside his anus, "I'm feeling the flow", not to mention his voice, in all cartoon shows, nobody enjoys the nasally voice of the background character. what made you think that putting it on the main character was a good idea.
  • Smh To the simpletons

People that can't accept that their are cards that have effects exist will just hate yu-gi-oh! past gx. GX was horrible hands down the most boring one and least interesting of them all. All GX did was introduce more fusions and normal cards(BORING). But For Everyone Else that can accept the fact yu-gi-oh! is evolving, this one is actually one of the best card AND story wise. It starts off slow like most anime do anyway and ends up going at a really good and intense rate. Leaves you emotionally attached to the main characters while still keeping the rules relevant until the point where- You know... he does the shining draw shenanigans but that's all part of the experience. That's why its anime, to bend the rules! Overall its Up There with 5D's(first part at and DM(shadow games, also known for Yami Yugi).

And again for the people that are in love with normal cards for the nostalgia of summoning 1 turn then waiting another 2 just to summon a stronger monster maybe with an effect, Sycro's is really good and actually i won't lie are a bit OP but that's the point of sacrificing 2-4 other monsters to get the big beater out.... balances things out and makes sense if u hang over the concept of getting rid of 2 smaller for a bigger. If You plan on watching anime SUBBED is the BEST way to go. Almost every single dubbed sucks and lacks KEY details which the Writers want people to know.
  • Oh well, not a bad idea

I kinda agree with the fact that this show is the most ruined Yu Gi Oh! ever, however there are some bright sides which cover these faulties, well both stories are tied to each others and give a special flavor to the series, However it is too Colorful in an attempt to make it familiar with kids, which turned most of fans off the series. even though it was an attempt to seduce kids to watch YGO, it is still Way too dark, i mean c'mon How many times Yuma had a Nervous breakdown against Vector upon being deceived? What about Rio? (Mirag), she is the one who got tormented the most by Vector throughout the Second Zexal, how many death casualties has been occured during the second season, (Take a look at Shark's memories) Where did dead people go? to Shadow Realm? Violence and Abuse still exist, (Vector Steps over Shingetsu's head even though he's aware that he is a mere clone of himself), Beating rate, slashing... also it kinda attracts perverts more than Kids if you ask me, The girls' School uniform are way TOO revealing, you can see their butts from their Skirts.

The show itself starts funny, then it goes Darker and Darker, Dealing with sever issues and problems.

I actually like the series, and i found them funny.
  • TV show is good but the cards are overpowered

The tv show is ok but the cards used are very overpowered making the duels kind of stupid. not as half as good as the original Yu-Gi-Oh
  • A Review Then A Tribute

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is very similar to Yu-Gi-Oh! GX in that it has a lot of humor in the story and does get darker as it goes on, but still maintains some humor such as when Ailito developed a crush on Tori.

Also as the series starts and Yuma meets Astral, Astral gives Yuma some basic training which is great for beginners of the Trading Card Game.

The animation is great like every Yu-Gi-Oh! series and is full of likable characters. Also like every incarnation of Yu-Gi-Oh!, the main theme of the series is friendship.

Now for the tribute.

As many of you have heard, Vortexx was canceled on September 27, 2014. With the end of Vortexx, the era of Saturday Morning Cartoons is over. While we have streaming now as well as DVD releases of episodes, this is still a sad moment because Saturday Mornings were a big part of most of all our childhoods as well as a big part for animation fans like myself.

The CW is now putting in a block called One Magnificent Morning, which is full of live-action documentaries aimed at teens. As many have commented, this is one of the poorest ideas and I myself will put in an effort to avoid this. In fact I took the CW off my television because of this.

Farewell, Vortexx and Saturday Morning Cartoons, you will always be a part of all of us.

1960-2014.
  • Mostly bad, but it's not pure meh.

5.5
    To me the show has more flaws than it has virtues.

It is clear that this series is trying to not go out too much from the comfort zone, to the degree of filling itself with parallels with other shows. Be it Yuma's triangle-shaped key necklace, being accompanied by a mysterious spirit with no memory of himself, which also happens to contrast the main character's personality. All of these descriptions could be applied to Yugi.

In terms of Yuma's personality, I don't think he really "grows" too much throughout most of the series. Yes he has a positive attitude and that's it's greatest asset, but it's not done properly. His "never give up" attitude consists on repeating it with brute force until he can do it, akin to the analogy of a person smacking his head against a wall until it hopefully breaks. Where am I going with this? He doesn't pause to think about what he did wrong, and that's a big fault for a strategy game.

Yuma also has a bad habit of screaming from the top of his lungs whenever someone else "dies". I'm not gonna go the insensible route of saying he can't cry for fallen comrades, but the scene just happens so damn much that it loses it's effect really soon, especially when some of them (like IV for example) have little to no bonds with Yuma in particular to begin with.

I also don't consider ZeXal Weapons or Shining Draws to be "growth" since they are essentially cheating mechanics. Atem(Yami) from "Yugioh Duel Monsters" would be able to alter what he would draw every turn by the end of the series, but he still stuck with what he initially build for the Duel. Prove enough lays in how he drew a full hand from Yugi's Card of Sanctity near the end due to the Silent Magician combo, but he still had the balls to recognize he had already given his all and had nothing left. Yuma just pulls out the cheapest Deus Ex Machina devices that he admits to create on the spot for that one time, even when the opponent's effects blatantly go as far as to replace the entirety of his remaining deck with a certain card. Seriously Yuma modifying that one draw completely demerits what is otherwise a legit strategy. This tendency causes many duels to lose excitement due to how no matter how much of a bullshit opposition he has, he'll just create the perfect out for it if needed.

Let's talk about the cast now. We have a huge amount of characters, but most of them are useless. The people in charge of the show don't seem to know what to do with the first main cast they spent the first 9 episodes assembling. Oh I know! Cheerleaders! Ugh.. They are also not very lively on their own. Those characters' decks never were fledged out enough to really feel personalized, and their interaction is just a few seconds of cliche moments like sudden catfights in the background between Kathy and Kotori. This is a shame because they could have made them very fun, and I think they were during their respective debut episodes.

Other than that useless bunch, Tron's sons, the Barian Lords, and a few others running around are actually pretty solid characters. The execution given to their spotlight is not as good as it could be, but the characters aren't bad there. Except for Don Thousand, he's one of the most plain villains you could ask for.

Another problem I have with it is probably more so with the game than with the show itself, but truth be told, I lost the sense of pressure from high ATK stats. Multiple times in the show you'll see monsters with power around 28,000 (yes that many zeros), 100,000...200,000... or eat the very least 4000+ with ease. The pilot episodes show one of Yuma's favorite combos, making a 5000 ATK Utopia out of it. The starting Life is 4000 for god's sake! After a certain mark it doesn't matter how much higher you go.

Now where I'm going with this?, I'm all for the game evolving, but story-wise, that 5000 ATK Utopia just doesn't feel as big despite the insane digits popping out. I still feel as if an Obelisk was near unreachable in the first series at 4000. They lack skill to make numbers actually feel like they matter. Guess their lucky draws turning it around so badly are partly to blame.

The good was overall decent and sometimes entertaining, but the bad was downright unwatchable. At the start of ZeXal II, we had a bunch of "brainwashed enemy of the week" episodes that seemed as if they could go on infinitely.

For my humble opinion, it's probably the worst generation so far. Which is not to say that it doesn't have redeeming qualities, but the other series had more going for them.

Near the end, the writers seemed to catch up to some of the people's views and at least had the girl actually belong to a kanon shipping. Next time, among many other things, I expect a female lead that's not just a cheerleader.

Yes I graded it below GX. GX's story sucked but the characters were more defined and so more fun to watch, which made up for it to a degree. Plus, GX was full of fan-service casual decks at the time that the original show didn't use. 5Ds I have a ton of complains about it's second half, but that has no place in this review. DM was more simple than 5Ds or GX, but it had to work from scratch and that gives it a lot of merit compared to the others that just suck on it's parallels.
  • What makes Zexal better than Duel Monsters? Here's what:

To me now, if you say you don't like Yugioh ZeXal, then I can't be that understanding person with you anymore because this show is cussin amazing. It is near the climax of season II and man a lot has happened. New characters, cards, storylines... deaths, tragic pasts, assholes getting their way when you really just wish they didn't; this is better than even 5ds when it comes to the story line and character development. Man this has been an emotional ride in this last season.

This series is in SEASON II PEOPLE!!! Don't you get what that means? This show in the first half ended up so good that it was able to get a season II where it would have been able to end at last season. It had a bad first outing and I will admit that, but here's the thing... it, got, better.

Openings that grow on you, endings that are fun and good listening, animation that fits into the modern times of anime, better cards (as usual), the storyline and character build up just propelled when Kaito came in and showed his stuff in a way Kaiba NEVER did. He actually beats his rival! The storyline looked like it was a redo of the DM series, but it became so much more than that. So much more.

This show wouldn't be a season II with the ending it had in the season before if this show wasn't good; also those who "wish it was like DM again" remember this that I'm about to say.

Duel Monsters had what is now bleh animation compared to what it is now, the va was the best thing about it, the best arc was a FILLER ARC (Orichalcos arc) because lets be real here, that Battle City arc lasted way too long for it's own good, Atem was the main character and Yugi was the one who had to be let go, the way they played the game was absolutely horrid and practically everyone cheated, Atem being the most prominent and top decking as shit, they started the wtf hair thing. It was apart of my childhood and I will always care for it, but Iook beyond nostalgia and see this series as not that good compared to this one.
  • Can't tolerate the lead, not good. May watch japanese version though

Few ep (13)
  • i think is the best one yet!

Ok before you try to kill me let me explain it has the most interesting story it follows the rules it has a lot of likeable and hateable take fro example kaito (kait in english dub) he's like Zexal's kaiba but way more badass besides Haruto (hart)is really creepy and it has an interesting backstory that explains why he is like that now. and don't get Me started on the animation the animatio is gorgeus really creative and colorful. The season 1 (Japanese dub) opening and credit theme songs are one of favorite anime think you should definitly give it a shot its a good show. and it has one of the most important things that every show needs to have ITS FUN TO WATCH! .Seriously i mean i never enjoyed Duel monsters that much it was good but not as good as everyone rembers it never followed the rules created different card effects and it was a pretty boring show. Zexal 94 espisodes less than duel monsters 10 times more entretaining. heres that awesome intro btw search master piece on tourube and you'll find it and if you are actually gonna watch it search the japanese dub the english one really sucks.
  • not true dbrett

yuma is a clumsy version of yugi and i think it's awesome go #39 although i hate the cliff hangers on most epsodes

• A Yu-Gi-Oh! spin off that should never have been created

It's quite obvious that I hate ZEXAL. The only Yu-Gi-Oh! series I liked were Duel Monsters, GX and 5D's in Japanese. The obvious thing I hate about this show is the animation style. It's terrible it makes Shinichirou Minami's (Duel Monsters animation director) work look like a masterpiece. Just wish the series would end already. Should have ended with 5D's.
  • Strangely likeable, but...

4.5
    The old yugioh plot never fails to either annoy me, or leave me in suspense. It still has the same appeal of characters explaining their strategies out loud, and then the opponent surprises him with a trap card prior to shouting out "THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO DO!" It never fails. Yuma is highly optimistic, but his English voice annoys me terribly. The story is entertaining, but words fail me. Maybe it is the same ol' tripe with yugioh stories that doesn't seem to change. I lose interest in these series everyday, although Nickelodeon sells it pretty good.

And what's with the hair styles on that show? Seems like everybody in the yugi-verse has terrible hair.

• Yugioh Zexal? Japan? sigh

I personally have ONE MAJOR ISSUE with all yugioh series: THEY DON'T FOLLOW THE REAL LIFE DUELING RULES!!!

Seriously, that aside, Yugioh Zexal Is byfar my favorite Yugioh series so mean the music that plays when utopia is XYZ summon is CONFIDENCE BOOSTING!

Oh, yeah, Minecraft 1.6 Prerelease + New launcher = Epic new game.
  • What the

To be honest, I really only liked the original Yu-Gi-Oh all the way through. GX was great at the beginning and end, but I kinda got bored and lost in the middle. 5D's . And then there's this sad excuse for a show that not only destroyed the Yu-Gi-Oh Series' credibility, but also the card game's. It released overpowered, overused, n00bish cards that take no skill at all to OTK in 10 seconds. And the anime; Space? Seriously? Not to mention the 10 year-old who is a brat and carries around Fi (LoZ reference).
  • Wtf happened to YuGiOh

1.5
    I, I, I dont know. I just... don't know. wtf happened to this show? wtf happened to the seriousness and philosophical lessons behind this anime? All that made this show great seems to have been lost after the last episode of DM. Shadow Games and DM really had something going, GX was an extravagant commercial, and 5D's killed itself with CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES. But Zexal? Its just a feeble attempt to recycle the same exact story as was in the golden age but with some doofus 10 year old and a space alien (yes i know he's not from space). My point is this: if you want the glory days of Yugi and his friends back, THEN BRING THEM THE F*** BACK. I'd love to see a series focusing on his emotional turmoil after losing atem, and introducing a new gateway to the Shadow realm. What we got instead was this, this thing
  • Starts off just okay but gets good at episode 10.

When this series started out, I just thought it was okay and nothing more. It committed the annoying crime of having side characters who can clearly duel useless when confronted by villains and was just a scenario of the week sort of thing. However, by episode 10, it got much better and more engaging. The story lines got better, it started to have more emotional impact, the duels got better... I still don't care for exceed summoning, but this is a good YGO series. However, I gotta disagree with people when they say it's better than 5D's. 5D's, as far as story goes, was a lot like a mix of Duelist and season 0 in which it was not only serious but a lot of the conversations outside of duels were about a lot more than just strengthening one's deck. Still, at least Zexal doesn't have card games in space like everyone feared it would. I also like the fact that Yuma's actually a noob instead of an expert like every other main character. That's kind of a breath of fresh air from Jaden, who came across to me as an insufferable Gary Stu. All in all, give this one a shot. You may like it.
  • Though not without flaws, Yugioh Zexal still surpasses Yugioh GX and Yugioh 5Ds.

Yugioh Zexal, like mentioned above, surpasses Yugioh GX and Yugioh 5Ds, even though it's not as good as the original show. Centering around a 13 year old duelist named Yuma and his friends Brock and Tori, it chronicles his search for cards called "Numbers," while fighting off a bully named Shark. The premise is original enough, as well as the addition of a new concept of cards called XYZ monsters. The characters are somewhat annoying though, Brock being snobbish, Tori not giving enough to the show, and Shark being a stereotypical and generic bully. Yuma, the main character, is easily the best character, and will probably be your favorite character. The best thing about him though, is that he loses duels a lot more often than Yugi, Jaden, and Yusei making him seem actually human and not just some dueling genius. You can actually relate to him. The duels are well choreographed, and the artwork looks very nice.

Ultimately, Yugioh Zexal is a great show with an original premise, well choreographed duels, and good artwork. The characters, though most of them are somewhat jerkish, won't get in your way of enjoying the show (hopefully), which is a fine show indeed.
  • The best Yu-Gi-Oh! Series Ever Yes bit is guys finaly Somthing thats gonna be a good yu-gioh since the original. Gx wtf is up with that shit i mean friendship weak to happy always cocky but yet he lost to zane spirit dectative yugi aster. Gx dint cut it

Yubel came to late in the series i think.5ds is out of controll man im like WTF Mortorcycles?.Crumsion Dragon wasnt even all that cool at all it was a lame series.Next comes yu-gi-oh! zexal it was a slow start for me untill it got to episode 10 it start getting great. Episode 24 is the best episode so far.Super Saiyan yuma/astral. Astral is badazz on the series. Here is how it go in my opinion not your opinion okay my opinion

1.Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

2.Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

3.Yu-Gi-Oh! Gx

4. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5ds

ps if any of you say yuma sucks its not Yu-Ma-Oh!

Zexal is a power Morons