People have said that Joey Wheeler won back his Red-Eyes after the cliffhanger duel in the episodes of Season 3, One for the Road.Seeing as how Joey had his Red-Eyes Black Dragon in the Doom Saga/Waking the Dragons, it was implied that he won the duel against Yugi in the season finale. But can him using the card show that Joey actually beat the King of Games or are there other reasons why he still has Red-Eyes.
Here they are: (they're the same options like in the poll)
- Yugi gave Red-Eyes back to Joey out of pity even though Yugi won the duel
- Joey lost, but went out to go and buy another Red-Eyes from a card store
- Joey actually beat Yugi and retrieved his Red-Eyes
Here's my reasoning for each one of the choices.
- Yugi is a pretty nice guy and is willing to do anything to help out his friends. In Journey to the Duelist Kingdom, Yugi gave his Time Wizard to Joey despite the fact that it helped him out in situations. When Joey and Yugi dueled in the Duelist Kingdom Championships, Time Wizard helped Yugi out because it transformed his Dark Magician into Dark Sage. That combo could have assisted Yugi in many situations in the future. Had Yugi kept Time Wizard, he could have used that in many new combos.
Let's say that Yugi used some of his combos to beat Joey and his deck. Joey might have lost, but he wouldn't beg for his Red-Eyes. Yugi would have been caring enough to say that he couldn't keep Red-Eyes any longer and insisted that Joey take back his card. Even though Joey gets back his Red-Eyes, he never really beat Yugi and because of Yugi's care and compassion for his friends, he returned the card.
- Red-Eyes Black Dragon was never an extremely rare card like Blue-Eyes White Dragon is. Kaiba said that there were only 4 Blue-Eyes in existence and he had three of them while Grandpa Mutou had one of them. Rex Raptor never said that Red-Eyes was one of just a limited amount of cards, so Joey could have gone and bought a Red-Eyes. There are various card stores in the town of Domino and some of them could keep one of those cards in stock and he could have simply bought one or won one in a duel against the store keeper. Yugi could have kept Joey's old Red-Eyes back in Grandpa's Card Shop for people to look at.
- Joey was a pretty good duelist and it was never said that he lost to Yugi later on in the series. The duel could have ended in Joey's favor thus granting him access to his Red-Eyes Black Dragon. The duel could have been just a playful duel, so Atem/Yugi didn't duel his hardest and making it in the next season that Joey has his Red-Eyes back.