TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Yu-Gi-Oh! Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Did Joey Really Win Back his Red-Eyes?

How did Joey get his Red-Eyes Black Dragon back?

  • Avatar of minerva73

    minerva73

    [21]Jul 15, 2007
    • member since: 03/25/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 4,811
    darkrunner wrote:
    minerva73 wrote:
    The thing is that whether or not Joey/Jounouchi became a real duelist. Sure he dueled many people in the Doom Saga with Red-Eyes, but aren't true duelists supposed to have the will to keep on fighting? Joey lost two times because of the technicality that he couldn't keep on dueling because of his strength. He died/went to the Shadow Realm when he dueled Marik on Alcatraz Tower because he had his life force drained and he lost when he was flustered after his duel with Valon/Varon and went to duel Mai.

    I'm not saying that Joey's not a true duelist, but he should have been able to survive both of those situations especially the first one seeing as how others could survive it. Mai practically survived that if it weren't for her anger at Joey.

    Actually... it's the other way around for the first one. It was a miracle that Jounouchi wasn't INSTANTLY killed by Ra. Yugi only survived because it was regular Ra. Pheonix Ra was the ultimate last form, the most powerful version of Ra. Jounouchi should have died on the spot, but because he was so strong, he was able to stay alive for another few seconds. Mai was, and I quote, going to "burn to ash" when Ra attacked her. Sure, she might've won if she had listened to their advice, but in that situation, if Yugi and Jou hadn't stepped in, she most likely would have died.

    In the second one, Wayne Grayson just doesn't do a good job of convenying that Jou is really hurting after his duel with Varon. (That's probably what he was directed to do, though.) While the dub does mention that Joey was weak from his duel, you never really get the sense of he's-about-to-pass-out-from-exhaustion like you do in the original.

    I never thought it was a question of whether Jounouchi was a true duelist or not, just if he beat Yugi or not. Mai even says something on the lines of "Jounouchi, you've become a true duelist" in episode 143. (I don't know the exact wording, but I did hear "Jounouchi" and "shin no duelist" in the same sentence.)

    Joey might have endured all of those things which eventually shadowed his legacy as a great duelist, but could Joey have defeated Zigfried/Sieg? He didn't even have to cheat to defeat him while some others who defeated Joey had to use some sort of supernatural source to defeat him.

    Dmluciano wrote:
    Heres what really happened. Yugi: Now Dark Magican attack him directly and win me this duel. Joey: 0. (Both duelists go to shake hands) "That was a good duel joey" "Yeh it was yugi" (Pulls out gun) Now give me my red eyes you mother f*cker "but why joey?" "Sorry Yugi but 4kids can't save you know"

    Classic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dmluciano

    Dmluciano

    [22]Jul 15, 2007
    • member since: 10/17/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 3,552
    thanks
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of darkrunner

    darkrunner

    [23]Jul 15, 2007
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,801
    minerva73 wrote:
    darkrunner wrote:
    Actually... it's the other way around for the first one. It was a miracle that Jounouchi wasn't INSTANTLY killed by Ra. Yugi only survived because it was regular Ra. Pheonix Ra was the ultimate last form, the most powerful version of Ra. Jounouchi should have died on the spot, but because he was so strong, he was able to stay alive for another few seconds. Mai was, and I quote, going to "burn to ash" when Ra attacked her. Sure, she might've won if she had listened to their advice, but in that situation, if Yugi and Jou hadn't stepped in, she most likely would have died.

    In the second one, Wayne Grayson just doesn't do a good job of convenying that Jou is really hurting after his duel with Varon. (That's probably what he was directed to do, though.) While the dub does mention that Joey was weak from his duel, you never really get the sense of he's-about-to-pass-out-from-exhaustion like you do in the original.

    I never thought it was a question of whether Jounouchi was a true duelist or not, just if he beat Yugi or not. Mai even says something on the lines of "Jounouchi, you've become a true duelist" in episode 143. (I don't know the exact wording, but I did hear "Jounouchi" and "shin no duelist" in the same sentence.)

    Joey might have endured all of those things which eventually shadowed his legacy as a great duelist, but could Joey have defeated Zigfried/Sieg? He didn't even have to cheat to defeat him while some others who defeated Joey had to use some sort of supernatural source to defeat him.



    One of the reasons I've always loved Jou is because he wins when it counts. He beat (well, sort of) Yami Malik, he beat Valon, and he stayed alive long enough to save Mai. No one was in danger when he dueled Sieg. The duel, essentially, didn't matter. Personally, I don't care if he beats Sieg or not. Being a true duelist isn't just about winning. Would you say that Jounouchi wasn't a true duelist in his duel with Malik, even though he technically lost?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of seto1

    seto1

    [24]Jul 16, 2007
    • member since: 02/13/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,085

    I think yugi gave to him as a gift for a good duel even though he lost

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Raven50

    Raven50

    [25]Sep 19, 2008
    • member since: 09/26/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,405

    I say he totally won it hands down!! No offense to Yugi, but Joey ROCKS!!! And I think that's why they haven't told anyone, 'cause maybe they want Yugi to keep his "King of Games" status or something.

    Edited on 09/19/2008 6:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BTRAV

    BTRAV

    [26]Oct 8, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 8,203
    I could imagine Yugi insisting that he take it and Joey refusing to take it for the longest time until it devolves into a fist-fight where Joey accidentally knocks Yugi senseless. "Yug! I'm sorry! Here, I'll take the card." Yugi: "Joey, you..."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roguele_beau

    roguele_beau

    [27]Oct 8, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 10,334
    LOL! You are so right!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.