Yu-Gi-Oh! Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

im confused a little

Breaker94

[1]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 24
    the battle between seto and atem didnt really matter in the dawn of the duel arc. the battle didnt even last long. why was it so important that it had to be carved in a stone tablet? and if seto won, why did yugi win in the present day battle?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

roguele_beau

[2]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 31
    Hmm, excellent question. Hopefully Doc will be here soon to answer you (She know everything!)

If I had to guess, I'd say when Atem went back after having existed in the Puzzle and with Yugi, events were changed and happened differently, but I'm not positive. Wait, Doc will tell us soon

darkrunner

[3]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    ^_^;; Aww, thanks RB. I feel so loved.

Anyways, since Seto was possessed by Aknaden, had he beaten Atem, Zorc would've won. Atem wouldn't have been able to keep fighting, Horakti wouldn't have been summoned, and Zorc would destroy the world. It seemed like sensei originally meant to take more time with that duel, judging by Kaiba's flashback in episode 52 (53? 50something, anyway) but it didn't turn out that way. Since it's Atem and Seto and not Atem and Zork, my guess would be that the original idea was that Atem would duel Zorc/Aknaden-possessed Seto, win, and that would defeat Zorc. But for whatever reason, things were changed, and we have what you see now. BTR's pretty knowledgeable on the Egypt arc, so she can fix whatever I got wrong. ^_^;; I'm just the dub/uncut differences person. (and everything having to do with Jounouchi or Mai...)

BTRAV

[4]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 27
    I'm not exactly sure either...but it would follow that Blue Eyes is stronger than Dark Magician. But Kisara/Blue Eyes was really the one who helped Seto break free of Aknadin/Zorc. And for one thing, the flashback that Ishizu shows Seto is not what we see later, and we all know that Ishizu's visions are not always accurate (proven by Seto defeating her with Blue Eyes in their duel). Bottom line: even when set in stone, nothing really is set in stone. Does this make sense? (Seriously, does it?)

Breaker94

[5]Oct 15, 2008
    darkrunner wrote:

Anyways, since Seto was possessed by Aknaden, had he beaten Atem, Zorc would've won. Atem wouldn't have been able to keep fighting, Horakti wouldn't have been summoned, and Zorc would destroy the world. It seemed like sensei originally meant to take more time with that duel, judging by Kaiba's flashback in episode 52 (53? 50something, anyway) but it didn't turn out that way. Since it's Atem and Seto and not Atem and Zork, my guess would be that the original idea was that Atem would duel Zorc/Aknaden-possessed Seto, win, and that would defeat Zorc. But for whatever reason, things were changed, and we have what you see now. BTR's pretty knowledgeable on the Egypt arc, so she can fix whatever I got wrong. ^_^;; I'm just the dub/uncut differences person. (and everything having to do with Jounouchi or Mai...)

but atem was defeated, didnt you see the blue eyes destroy the dark magician?

Anime-Alchemist

[6]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 20
    BTRAV wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure either...but it would follow that Blue Eyes is stronger than Dark Magician. But Kisara/Blue Eyes was really the one who helped Seto break free of Aknadin/Zorc. And for one thing, the flashback that Ishizu shows Seto is not what we see later, and we all know that Ishizu's visions are not always accurate (proven by Seto defeating her with Blue Eyes in their duel). Bottom line: even when set in stone, nothing really is set in stone. Does this make sense? (Seriously, does it?)

Yup, that makes sense.

darkrunner

[7]Oct 15, 2008
    Breaker94 wrote:
    darkrunner wrote:

True. But does it actually say that Atem wins on the stone tablet? Kisara stops Seto from killing Atem, therefore Atem doesn't... okay, maybe he loses, but that's not the point. He goes on to fight Zorc after the battle, which he would not have been able to do if Kisara hadn't helped. Seto carved that tablet himself, or at least ordered it to be carved because of the Pert Kertu, the death prayer, that is carved on the tablet. The English manga translation of that prayer is:
    The corpse that sinks to the floor...
    The vessel becomes sand, becomes dust...
    Even the brightest gold, even the sharpest sword...
    Is wrapped in the sheath of time...
    Woe to the pharaoh, for his body lacks even his name...
    Time is the battlefield of souls...
    I cry the song of battle, the song of a friend...
    To the place far away where souls meet...
    Guide me.

So Seto had the stone carved to show everyone the battle. Does that answer your question?

Breaker94

[8]Oct 15, 2008
    darkrunner wrote:
    Breaker94 wrote:
    darkrunner wrote:

True. But does it actually say that Atem wins on the stone tablet? Kisara stops Seto from killing Atem, therefore Atem doesn't... okay, maybe he loses, but that's not the point. He goes on to fight Zorc after the battle, which he would not have been able to do if Kisara hadn't helped. Seto carved that tablet himself, or at least ordered it to be carved because of the Pert Kertu, the death prayer, that is carved on the tablet. The English manga translation of that prayer is:
    The corpse that sinks to the floor...
    The vessel becomes sand, becomes dust...
    Even the brightest gold, even the sharpest sword...
    Is wrapped in the sheath of time...
    Woe to the pharaoh, for his body lacks even his name...
    Time is the battlefield of souls...
    I cry the song of battle, the song of a friend...
    To the place far away where souls meet...
    Guide me.

So Seto had the stone carved to show everyone the battle. Does that answer your question?

but if seto won back then, shouldnt kaiba be destined to win against yugi during the battle city finals?

darkrunner

[9]Oct 17, 2008
    Erm... he only kind of won? My guess would be that Takahashi-sensei originally planned for Atem to beat Priest Seto, and so Yuugi won the duel, but when he actually sat down and wrote the Egypt arc, things didn't turn out as he planned. Just look at Kaiba's first flashback. So it's just a big mistake.

Breaker94

[10]Oct 19, 2008
    darkrunner wrote:
    Erm... he only kind of won? My guess would be that Takahashi-sensei originally planned for Atem to beat Priest Seto, and so Yuugi won the duel, but when he actually sat down and wrote the Egypt arc, things didn't turn out as he planned. Just look at Kaiba's first flashback. So it's just a big mistake.

alright, thanks for answering my question