Yu-Gi-Oh! Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Yu-Gi-Oh! AU

snowflakes123

[1]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 4

hey, guyz, new user here! hopefully there's not already a forum discussing this (if there is, i didn't know, mr. editor person, sorry! ^.^ ) but here's a question for all you yugioh fans:

do find if hard to really get into the show when the whole thing is based around a card game? i watched yugioh from start to finish (cept the season with dartz and his motercycle peoplez cause as littlekoriboh says, that was the season no one liked (yes, i know that there are people who liked it, but i didn't)) and i loved it the whole way through (sans anzu) but a couple years later i looked back and realized how much i wished the dueling in the show had been like REAL dueling instead of a children's card game. what do you think?

btw, marik and bakura are my favs

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

roguele_beau

[2]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 31
    I agree with most of what you're saying, though you should watch the DOMA arc, lots of polarshipy goodness!

captaintombatch

[3]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 32

Ok, well I haven't seen any of the Yu-Gi-Oh shows post final duel back in 2006. Truthfully, I wasn't really that excited for a Yu-Gi-Oh GX or 5D's series all that much. I probably would've liked to see a little more of the one on one duels wih each other rather than a card game. But like a lot of other shows based on card games, it's more fun to watch them on TV than it really is playing with them. I mean you can't get stabbed in the stomach with a trap card in real life, so what's the point but to watch it happen to animated folks. Personal recommendation to you, if you can get the second and third season on DVD, get it!! The only two episodes I still have are actually from Season 4. I didn't like any of the Alistar duels, but both Rafael duels were pretty intense. (I own all 3 episodes from the Rafael Duel #2). Don't watch 5D's, just a bunch of hype and like GX, it'll only last at most 2 seasons.

darkrunner

[4]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 14
    Rather than more dueling, I would've liked to see other games. Sensei had it right in the first 7 volumes of the manga. Going on with nothing but Duel Monsters... well, it could've been worse, but I wish at least the FILLERS had gone off with other games. Doom is a good season if you watch it in Japanese.

snowflakes123

[5]Oct 22, 2008

oh i didn't watch gx past the 1st season; i thought jaden (sorry subtitled fanatics, i didn't bother to memorize EVERYONE'S real, japanese name) was adorable as was sy, but i kept waiting for the original yugioh peeps to show up and they never did (i was so mad that yugi didn't come down to duel academy and smite that kid dimitri for stealing his deck! i was so looking forward to the blood and gore T-T ) and the "society of light" thing in the second season was just way to weird for me to stick with, so i ditched out on that one pretty quick.

what i mean by "real" duels is that like... the characters themselves would fight each other with the help of their duel monsters. it would be pretty hard for anyone to figure out how to make that work on modern day japan, but this is anime, i'm sure they'd figure something out. i loved the characters of yugioh (again, sans anzu) and some of the concepts (like the shadow games) were AWESOME but after a while, the whole thing just fell apart for me cause i was like... "guyz...this is a card game...like seriously..." -sigh- that's why i think someone should make like...a really awesome alternate universe something where that happens. hey! hey you fanficcers out there! i gots a job fo you! ^.^

darkrunner

[6]Oct 24, 2008
    I feel the need to mention this since it's how I broke my Anzu-hating tendencies; if you've got a thing against Anzu, I recommend reading anything by Scribbler on fanfiction.net. I swear, you'll love her. Scribbler-san is that good.

Now... fanfic, you say? What exactly are you looking for? AU with Duel Monsters? Without Duel Monsters? With REAL monsters?

snowflakes123

[7]Oct 25, 2008
    darkrunner wrote:
    I feel the need to mention this since it's how I broke my Anzu-hating tendencies; if you've got a thing against Anzu, I recommend reading anything by Scribbler on fanfiction.net. I swear, you'll love her. Scribbler-san is that good.

Now... fanfic, you say? What exactly are you looking for? AU with Duel Monsters? Without Duel Monsters? With REAL monsters?

ooh! real! what i always had in mind was like...the same characters, keeping with the ancient egyptian theme (which the history dork in me feels the need to point out is a tad inconsistent because egyptians didn't believe in reincarnation, but whatever) but in an au where the duel monsters are real actual monsters that can be summoned and used in a real duel. basically just yugioh with duel monsters sans the childrens card game.

roguele_beau

[8]Oct 25, 2008
    You're a history dork?!? I'm a history geek!

Ok on the fanfic thing, I reccomend you also read anything by Azurite...she's trying to be a professional author and she's amazing!

darkrunner

[9]Oct 26, 2008
    snowflakes123 wrote:
    ooh! real! what i always had in mind was like...the same characters, keeping with the ancient egyptian theme (which the history dork in me feels the need to point out is a tad inconsistent because egyptians didn't believe in reincarnation, but whatever) but in an au where the duel monsters are real actual monsters that can be summoned and used in a real duel. basically just yugioh with duel monsters sans the childrens card game.

Hmm... I've actually been toying with a plotbunny that sounds a bit like that. Haven't worked out all the details yet, but real Duel Monsters start showing up at Duel Academy, and it gets to the point where duelists from around the world have to come in to fight them to prevent them from getting loose in the world. When the duelists summon the monsters, they show up as real monsters, so they can fight. They also are summoned in different ways for different duelists. Being me, the whole thing's going to mostly be Jou, Mai, Judai, and Asuka. So Jou's going to use his armor cards from Doom, and fight himself. Mai's going to actually become the monster, an idea I got from Amazoness Paladin who looks just like her. Judai just plain old summons his monsters (for now) and Asuka's going to have a lesser version of what Mai does or play spell cards. Not sure which yet. Maybe both.

snowflakes123

[10]Oct 26, 2008
    darkrunner wrote:
    snowflakes123 wrote:

Hmm... I've actually been toying with a plotbunny that sounds a bit like that. Haven't worked out all the details yet, but real Duel Monsters start showing up at Duel Academy, and it gets to the point where duelists from around the world have to come in to fight them to prevent them from getting loose in the world. When the duelists summon the monsters, they show up as real monsters, so they can fight. They also are summoned in different ways for different duelists. Being me, the whole thing's going to mostly be Jou, Mai, Judai, and Asuka. So Jou's going to use his armor cards from Doom, and fight himself. Mai's going to actually become the monster, an idea I got from Amazoness Paladin who looks just like her. Judai just plain old summons his monsters (for now) and Asuka's going to have a lesser version of what Mai does or play spell cards. Not sure which yet. Maybe both.

sounds intriguing. i'm definitely interested in being kept updated on the progress of said plotbunny ^.^

BTRAV

[11]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 27
    That's kinda what I'm doing with my Duelists of the Caribbean, using Duel Monsters in place of swords. Researching what cards all the characters have and how they're used was a pain. (What does AU mean?)

roguele_beau

[12]Oct 27, 2008
    My guess is 'alternate universe'?

snowflakes123

[13]Oct 27, 2008
    roguele_beau wrote:
    My guess is 'alternate universe'?

you got it. have a cyber cookie ^.^

roguele_beau

[14]Oct 28, 2008
    ^_^

BTRAV

[15]Oct 29, 2008
    • level: 27
    Got cybermilk?

snowflakes123

[16]Nov 3, 2008
    unfortunately not i used it all to eat my halloweeen cookies of which there were many. i shall have to quest to the cyber store to buy some