Yu Yu Hakusho Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Similar anime

Biggy_boy

[1]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 4

I started watching Yu Yu Hakusho a few years ago, but the network showing it in my country discontinued showing it after the first saga.

Just recently, I've been able to track down and watch each episode, and I have to say that it is the greatest anime series I have seen (though I'm not a huge anime fan). Yet, when it ended, I was actually quite sad. I've been enjoying watching it so much and now that it's over, I'm looking for something to take its place.

Are there any anime shows out there which are similar to Yu Yu Hakusho?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Scorpions15

[2]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    To be honest I felt the same way when I saw the final episode myself.

I think Yu Yu Hakusho is a rarity and pretty unique, but there are some similar shows if you want to check them out:

-Dragonball (First series)
    -Bleach

There's also the series created by the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterxHunter although it's a lot different and you'll have to read subtitles to watch. It's still an action series just be clear, but it's a little less about the action and more about strategy.

ensatsu-ken

[3]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    I've heard that Flame of Recca is A LOT like Yu Yu Hakusho. So much so, that people have actually gone so far as to call it a complete YYH rip-off .... ooooooohhhhhhhh, that sounds so good,how aboutchecking it out, shall we ? LOL
    Edited on 01/13/2008 2:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

talonmalon333

[4]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 27

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    I've heard that Flame of Recca is A LOT like Yu Yu Hakusho. So much so, that people have actually gone so far as to call it a complete YYH rip-off .... ooooooohhhhhhhh, that sounds so good,how aboutchecking it out, shall we ? LOL

I was about to call that one, but I didn't know it was considered a rip off. Maybe I will try it out.

ensatsu-ken

[5]Jan 13, 2008
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

I was about to call that one, but I didn't know it was considered a rip off. Maybe I will try it out.

Try out Full Metal Panic! first . Nobody seems to believe me that its a great series. I recommended it to Scorpion15 and AriSky as well, but I doubt that either of them have tried it yet . Oh well, I at least enjoyed it. Personally, it was almost as addicting as YYH for me ,which is saying a lot .

talonmalon333

[6]Jan 13, 2008
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

Try out Full Metal Panic! first . Nobody seems to believe me that its a great series. I recommended it to Scorpion15 and AriSky as well, but I doubt that either of them have tried it yet . Oh well, I at least enjoyed it. Personally, it was almost as addicting as YYH for me ,which is saying a lot .

How would you rank it against Death Note?

Scorpions15

[7]Jan 13, 2008
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

That's not true! I've seen the first episode.

talonmalon333

[8]Jan 13, 2008
    Scorpions15 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

I'll bet you saw Ensatsu-Ken say you probably have not seen it yet, then found the first episode, skimmed through it in one second, and came back here to say that you did see one episode... just kidding.

ensatsu-ken

[10]Jan 13, 2008
    Scorpions15 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

The first few episodes aren't really anything special IMO (although they did interest me). Its when the first real mission in the main story line starts, that this series really picks up, IMO . Oh, but are you sure the 1st episode you saw was from the 1st season ? Because, the show has 3 different seasons.

ensatsu-ken

[11]Jan 13, 2008
    Scorpions15 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:

Its not nearly as deep or as thought provoking as Death Note, IMO. But its still just as entertaining and addicting as the Death Note anime is to me .

deckzone30000

[12]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 1

ensatsu-ken wrote:

No it isnt

Nato163

[13]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 2
    This thread's got some pretty good ideas, i've always enjoyed( and please don't crucify me for this) Ruroni Kenshin, it's a different show entirely, and though i know you were looking for similarity i think you could enjoy this one.

Ultimate_Critic

[14]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 12
    I love these threads because they are all so similar with the constant and inevitable suggestion of the big name animes.

Shall we just list which animes you should watch instead?

Biggy_boy

[15]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 4

I've started watching Bleach. I've watched the first 10 episodes and it's decent, I'm liking it more than I thought I would anyway, but I'm not really as addicted to it as I was with YYH.

For those that have seen it - does the series escalate to anything more intriguing because I can't see myself sitting through 150+ episodes if I'm going to be treated to basically the same plot premise throughout the entire series.

Scorpions15

[16]Feb 2, 2008
    Ya, the next saga which starts around episode 19 I think is really good. That should last you until around episode 65 and then you go from there.

After the second saga I got sick of Bleach and stopped watching.

Ultimate_Critic

[17]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    Scorpions15 wrote:
    Ya, the next saga which starts around episode 19 I think is really good. That should last you until around episode 65 and then you go from there.

The second saga was one of the worst filler arcs ever (ever) - even the production team agreed. It picks up again after that.

Scorpions15

[18]Feb 5, 2008
    Ultimate_Critic wrote:
    Scorpions15 wrote:

The second saga was one of the worst filler arcs ever (ever) - even the production team agreed. It picks up again after that.

Huh? I thought Soul Society was the second saga?

I didn't like the Bount arc either.

ensatsu-ken

[19]Feb 5, 2008
    Ultimate_Critic wrote:
    Scorpions15 wrote:

Actually, I felt that the Arrancar arc was pretty average, and actually somewhat boring, in comparison to the SS arc. And of course, I'm extremely pissed off at how the HM arc completely lacks in originality, as it basically recycles the plot and style/structure of the SS arc. Also, I personally just find the HM arc to be really boring, and dragged out.

levister16

[20]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    Scorpions15 wrote:
    Ya, the next saga which starts around episode 19 I think is really good. That should last you until around episode 65 and then you go from there. After the second saga I got sick of Bleach and stopped watching.
    bleach is an great anime you know what is an dull anime show to watch is dbz iused to watch it and be a fan now i say to my self and cant believe i watch this dull and boring plot holls cant wait for bleach witch is better and popular than dbz if you look at it the show that is similar to yu yu hakusho is dbz .