Zaion: I Wish You Were Here

A&E (ended 2001)

Zaion: I Wish You Were Here Fan Reviews (2)

• Terrible.

4.5
    Zaion: I Wish You Were Here, only lasted thiry days, it is obvious why is the biggest piece of crap to ever air on Television.It did however manage to set a record because of its raw stupidity. It just happened to set a record that may, better yet will last longer than its inital. The reord is (drum roll please), Zaion: I Wish You Were Here, had the shortest run of any show (as far as I know). And because a record like this can be taken away in a blink of an eye (literally) this show deserves respect for being so unrespectable.
  • Just picture Power Rangers, except that they have the ability to die.

A rather solid viewing. After reading some low scoring reviews, I was rather judgementive on whether or not I should watch this. Well, in the end, I ended up downloading it for one simple reason; the picture on animenfo looked so cool. That's why I hate animes with cool pictures; I'll always be drawn into watching it. But after what I've went through, I would say that Zaion is all right for what it has delivered in just 4 episodes.

A meteorite crash landed onto earth, plaguing the human race with a virus known as M34 that turns those infected with it into rock zombies with the intent to kill. The government established NOA; a group of super soldiers injected with nanomachines in order to battle these zombies, and prevent the virus from spreading any further. The story mainly revolves around Tamiya Yuuji, an NOA member, and Ai; a girl with supernatural abilities that can easily destroy the infected patients with ease.

The only thing that really bothered me about I wish you were here is the relationship between Ai and Tamiya Yuuji. It wouldn't be appropriate to label it love at first sight, but with one simple conversation that doesn't even last longer than 5 minutes, they instantly become the most important people to each other. Ai can only utilize her power when she wants to, and Ai is an angsty I-give-up-on-life type of character you would see on Neon Genesis Evangelion. The only time she'll use her powers is when Tamiya, a guy she met for only 5 minutes before, is in danger. There is some story to why this mysterious man is so important to this girl, but it was still pretty poorly done.

Though other than that, everything else is all right. The fight scenes are surprisingly not as good as I expected, coming from GONZO and all, and it's an OVA. But looking at what year it was animated in, it's pretty understandable. The animation, while looking rather outdated, is also pretty nice. Though what's dragging it down are the CGI graphics. The CGI doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the animation. The story makes some twists in the final two episodes, which are pretty cool. But then it falters in the final episode, leaving a "WTF just happened?" kind of conclusion.

All in all, I wish you were here is not a bad watch. Nothing really excelling, but other than the love romance going on, it's not entirely lacking either. If you want something to kill time, this certainly does a good job of consuming time without wasting it.