Zero Hour

Strike

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2013 on ABC

7.7
  • zERo hour

well cant really say much yet...

had some good had some bad

i think they cut corners in few places

just to keep the first episode in the right pace

but i thought that wasnt good idea

characters :

as first look Hank seems very well written character

i think Anthony brings that special charisma of his to

every character he plays

um i guess putting an FBI agent character is a must

in these types of shows, Agent Riley seems a bit forgettable

but then again its too early to say---and yes Carmen is super hot

the support chracters Arron and Rachel seemed

very likeable - gotta wait and see how the develop

my overall rating is good+

cant wait next episode

• Should Have Known Better

Watchmaking is an extremely precise and meticulous profession which emphasizes a dexterity for details and a profound knowledge of cause and effect, the mechanical aspect. This is why, for instance, Mr. Manhattan from Watchmen fame and Sylar from Heroes were watchmakers at some point in their lives. Unlike other professions, historical figures and their innovations are a necessity; and watchmakers are capable of telling you which is what model and what is inside it by merely seeing the objects. The point is that Leila knew almost exactly what she was seeing and buying when she bought the Clock at the open market. She must have had some kind of discussion with the seller for more precision as to origin, at the very least. Her predicament and kidnapping, then, should not have come as a surprise as it appeared to at the beginning of the show. White's involvement as the kidnapper was also a weak point to the plot, as he could have and would have intervened without the kidnapping. Unless, and this is important, at some level both Leila and White "knew" that this was a predestined step; part of the Prophecy. In Leila's case, it would mean that her marriage to Hank Galliston was by design and that somehow she was responsible for his professional aspirations as an editor of a paranormal publication.

As for the background, it would make sense to someone involved in the occult. Indeed, the Rosicrucian Order, a diluted form of which is prominent nowadays with the AMORC , especially in the USA;was initially a philosophical/occult ceremonial lodge founded by a mysterious German , Christian Rosenkreuz, a synonym to the movement. Here the two conceptual texts of the Order are presented here as fact; and naturally Nazism would be its worse enemy. Hence, as a plot it holds its ground as fiction and we can expect something interesting to come from the series. The idea of reforming the Apostles in modern times is not a Rosicrucian belief, as such, but it can be presented as a secret pact among the Grand Masters, a fact that we cannot possibly judge as either a hoax or an occult do know that the Scottish Rite Freemasonry of the present day was a titular development of Rosicrucian beliefs, then this opens fictional possibilities of all sorts.

The premise of the series is then a tenable proposition, but the whole presentation lacked a firm foundation. The pairing between Hank and the FBI agent, a single woman of course, was not well introduced; and that his daughter and boyfriend would have the means and the gumption to enter this murderous race is not convincing. That the old watchmaker was not under surveillance all these years and that he would open up to this most secret of information so easily is totally impossible. As characters, that they are a Jewish family in what is eminently a Christian Quest is also not very sustainable, but maybe there is something here that will be revealed in due am only mentioning this aspect as the plot is one in which Christianity and religious symbolism is bound to play a central role.

All in all, besides some tentative weak steps we can expect some good fiction if the writers will not sacrifice meaning to action as it did in this pilot. We will have to wait and see how it develops and whether it will lose itself or not in the immense complexity of what the subject matter can offer.
  • A great start!

The pilot premiere was definitely entertaining, suspenseful and full of mystery. I really enjoyed watching so far because the show reminds me a little bit of the Divinci code or angels and demons and the actors were amazing. The action wss captivating as is the mystery behind what is liked how everything played out so far and I certainly can't wait to find out what happens next. I have a feeling this show will fill a void that has existed in television programming.
  • Don't know where to begin

1.5
    It is awful on so many levels I find it hard to believe a network paid for it. Bad acting, horrible script, disastrous casting choice - everything is wrong with this one. Stopped at 34:00. Waste of tIme.
  • Dan Brown wanna-be

Religious themed mystery.

Things I couldn't get over:

Skeptic/logical person suddenly becomes a person who operates on "Faith" not facts?? And of course Vincent would have killed the wife as soon as he got what he wanted. There is no way he would've kept her alive. But of course the husband's "faith" is apparently keeping her alive.... ugh.

I usually like the actor, but he's annoying me on this one.

90+ year old man keeps his terrible secret for over 70 years but blabs it all to the first American kids to randomly show up on his doorstep?

Yes, apparently someone just watched the XFiles episode where the mystery sub has been hidden in the artic for decades with it's secrets....

I'll try one more episode, to see if the make the mystery any more interesting, but I am learning towards NO on this one.

• Time Is Of The Essence

OK,I admit I was expecting something, at least at first, more original from the mind that created "Prison Break". While that show started with a brilliant premise it progressed in bursts and lulls. Early on, however, it was fairly riveting and definitely fresh. So, what "Zero Hour" begins with is a watered down Indiana Jones-ish tale of Nazi wrapped paranormal. Not exactly clearly original or clear in any way. The show after the first episode is mostly an enigma of mediocrity. To this I say: "don't give up". Zero Hour possesses some untapped potential in it's boldness to glom something mystical from the DaVinci Code, Indiana Jones, and whatever the heck else it aspires to be. Only time will is of the essence here in more ways than one. I'm not giving up on the mind of Paul Scheuring and I hope ABC doesn't either as I think there is some legs underneath the "pasta-on-the-wall" splat of the first two episodes.
  • National Treasure meets DaVinci Code with a sprinkling of the X-Files

First off, I enjoyed the episode and thought it was entertaining. Certainly enough for me to continue watching the series. Its one of those series where you have to suspend disbelief quite a lot, to get past some of the logical flaws in the storyline. At the moment it seems like a Indiana Jones type story with with a clear line between good and bad, almost aimed at the family adventure story niche.

As an adventure story its worth watching, if you are looking for something dark or realistic, you will most likely be disappointed.