Zoey 101

Defending Dustin

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 2005 on Nickelodeon

7.6
  • great

Zoey intervenes when Dustin is bullied, but he does not want her to do this, and tells her he wishes life was like what it was before she went to PCA. Dustin is still being bullied, but will he come up with a way to make it all stop?

Decent episode, it's too bad Dustin didn't get too many other starring roles in future episodes. This was a pretty good episode, I thought. Dustin is pretty much underappreciated in this show, I think. My final grade for this episode is in the "B" Range, a decent episode of the show I think.
  • Dusting gets bullied.

I think this was sort of a filler episode, not much development, just the same drama in Middle School, getting bullied, and when Zoey defends her brother, she makes it worst, and I have noticed that this is the only episode in which Zoey acts motherly. So that made it a filler episode, the plot overall was unoriginal. The B plot with the dog, Alvis. That one was pretty good, not like any other plot line & Dana does something nice! I also like how Chase fits in the storyline, giving Zoey advice about Dustin, did any one else notice but I think that everyone should be more angry at Nicole for letting the dog out just cause of her hair. Okay episode.
  • it was alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7.4
    was ok. Well this episode was about Dustin mostly. He is in Geometry because he's super smart. sehow this guy named Keith ( I think it was Keith.) starts bullying him by making him do all of his homework, well Zoey will not stand for this and she defends him. Dustin gets embarresed and tells her to quit treating him like a baby. Zoey is saddened by it so she and Chase concoct a plan to make Keith leave him alone and let Dustin feel like he's tough. Overall it was an alright episode. I liked the Chase and Zoey moment where they were on the bench together talking. That was nice
  • Dustin gets bullied.

A three word summary "Dustin gets bullied". Why Dustin? Why Dustin? Well Dustin hasn't been a big main person in the series, he wasn't even in the 3rd (or let me guess 2nd) episode of the series, and he is still in the credits. I really hope they had Dustin, in the show more. Much more in Season 4, and much more in the series. Dustin is Zoey's Sister, he really should be a big conflict. Unless, he has anotehr acting project he is working on. This is a Halo review for Zoey 101 episode "Defending Dustin" Peaceo tu! - TGH3.
  • dustin is picked on when he corrects a tough guy in his advanced math class..zoey can't take it and she tries to defend him but it blows up in her face when dustin begins to hate her...so she establishes a scheme where dustin wont know shes helping

7.1
    this was a nice ep and obviously zoey is like a mother figure 2 dustin..he just doesnt appreciate it yet lol..dustin is so smart...this is like only the 2nd ep w/ dustin right? sry back on track now..i hate when the bully is so mean 2 dustin and dustin has 2 stay up late doing his hw...i would have been exactly like zoey if it were my little brother or sister...unfortunately this made it worse for dustin so zoey cleverly came up w/ a plan and this kept the bully away from dustin...it was so cute how dustin thought him being tough w/ the bully made the bully run away but it was really zoey's scheme...still so cute..dustin's such a cute 6th grader
  • Dustin asserts his independence from his sister.

The girls are busy rating cute boys when they bump into Dustin, who is heading to 8th grade Geometry despite only being in the 6th, but not before Zoey gives him a quick makeover. Dustin claims he fits right in, but in the next scene it is obvious he does not.

When Keith, our bully of the episode, gets a question wrong on the whiteboard, Dustin is quick to correct him, but when he sees how mad Keith is, his departure from the classroom is even quicker. Keith is waiting for him, however. He forces Dustin to do all his homework for him, even French which Dustin doesn't even know.

Zoey hitches a ride on Chase's bike back to her dorm, but along they way they run into Janitor Herb, an aspiring actor, and Dustin. Dustin is eating a Bing Bong (some junk snack), which Zoey confiscates. Dustin complains to Zoey about her treating him like a baby, and Chase is forced to agree. This scene ends with Zoey confiscating the Bing Bong from Chase, even the piece already in his mouth! (They bicker like an old married couple in this scene, but I'm getting way ahead of myself.)

We then have a scene of Dustin working through the night on Keith's homework, and yes, there is a Bing Bong on the table. When Zoey finds out about Keith the next morning, she is furious, finds Keith, and demands that he leave Dustin alone. Of course, this only invokes more teasing and bullying as Dustin's sister has to be his bodyguard. Dustin runs off humiliated and upset at Zoey.

When Zoey finally finds Dustin, he demands that she leave him alone, and as an act of defiance, takes a huge bite out of a Bing Bong. This time Zoey doesn't say anything about it.

Next we see Zoey and Chase sitting together outside. Chase learns that girls don't always mean what they say, as Zoey says she just wants to sit, then complains he is ignoring her. He explains why Dustin doesn't want her help, but Zoey doesn't want Dustin to get hurt by Keith. When Zoey claims she's never been hurt by a bully, Chase says "Well maybe it's time!" Of course, this is all fun and games, so no one actually gets hurt, although Chase's hand could be a little sore.

As a result of yesterday's encounter with Zoey, Keith makes Dustin do his laundry on top of his homework. Dustin has had enough and turns to Chase and Micheal. They tell him to stand up to Keith, which freaks Zoey out, but she has an idea. The next day Keith is called to the office, and receives a verbal lashing from the Dean of Discipline, who was really Janitor Herb in a suit. Spooked by this encounter, Keith backs down completely when Dustin confronts him, to the shock of all but Zoey and Chase. So all is well, for now.

This episode does well to establish Dustin's relationship with his sister, and it also develops Zoey and Chase's relationship a little, but the subplot is a little lacklustre. I found it funny how Chase explained every abbreviation and acronym he used (like OK for okay), but I am surprised when Nick showed the scene regarding Elvis' gender. Overall I like this episode, but not as much as those that focus primarily on Zoey and Chase.
  • Hated it!

2.7
    I absouluty hated this episode, In reallity That kid never would have got away with the stuff he pulled! And I dont blame Zoey I would have took up for my lil bro too. I mean Im not going to let him get beat up by some dork whos life is boring so he has to make another kids life miserable for his own entertainment. The bing-bong thing, that was kinda stupid, and I can see him getting mad about that, but her just trying to help him out, he should be thanking her for that! Some older brothers and sisters just dont care, I mean theyd rather be with their boyfriend or listening to rap or anything like that.
  • It was ok.

7.7
    Well this episode was about Dustin mostly. He is in Geometry because he's super smart. (Man I wish Dustin could help me with my geometry homework. I'm horrible at math! How in the world did a sixth grader end up in a sophmore class? Geez!)

Somehow this guy named Keith ( I think it was Keith.) starts bullying him by making him do all of his homework, well Zoey will not stand for this and she defends him. Dustin gets embarresed and tells her to quit treating him like a baby.

Overall it was an alright episode. I liked the Chase and Zoey moment where they were on the bench together talking. That was cute
  • I feel that this episode tailed on a bit too much, and it didn't really go anywhere, but I've seen worse.

This episode is one of the more average apisodes of Zoey 101, it really doesn't do it for me at all. There are some good points, but also several bad points about it. Typical bullying situation, smaller kid gets picked on by huge kid, so the smaller kid lives in fear. Dustin tells Zoey about Keith bullying him, and she tries to sort it out, but it backfires on her, because she ends up embarassing Dustin and he stops talking to her.

Help is at hand though, as school Janitor/struggling actor steps in to sort out the actions of young Keith finch, acting as the Dean of Discipline. His strong, decisive words set the bully straight, and he agrees to stop picking on Dustin, even after he is verbally attacked by the 10 year old.

I wasn't too keen on the plot of this story, it's been done too many times. Also, like a lot of series one, there's only one main story, and nothing else happens as a B story. However I did like Herb the Janitor, he was a good character which makes this episode watchable. But Dan Schnieder should do better than this episode, although a perfect series of a show is a rarity
    High Point: Herbs acting
    Low Point: Unoriginal plot
  • It was pretty good!

This episode features Dustin getting bullied by Keith Finch from his math class. He makes Dustin do his homework and......ewwww! His laundry too. Also, Dustin becomes the laughing stock of the school because Zoey butted into his life and tried to talk to the bully by herself. When Chase and Michael have Keith Finch taken out of class to the principal's office, they have the janitor act as the Dean of Discipline. He shouts right to Keith's face and he agrees to stop bullying children. Then Dustin finds Keith and starts to insult him and tell him how he's not going to do anything for him ant more and then Keith says one word: Okay! Then his bullying days were over, Zoey stopped butting into Dustin's life, and Dustin become a popular kid at PCA for standing up to a bully. This wasn't the best episode of Zoey 101, but I still will encourage you to watch it. Tune in on TeeNick or buy it off of iTunes for $1.99 or watch it any other way you can. I enjoy how Dustin reacts to the bully. This is just a funny television series and please, if you have time, watch a few episodes and see if you get into the the style. i'm not forcing you or begging you, I'm just stating that this is a great television show and is popular among many people, and I hope that they will make more episodes in the future. Hope you use this advice!

-kobe63
  • Dustin gets picked on by a bully.

1.7
    This episode is an example of how every season of almost every show there is one episode that is boring... and this is it. when i watched thsi episode it was liek... well i wonder how next weeks episodes is gonna be more boring or exciting. I give this a 1.7 rating.