Zorro

ABC (ended 1959)

Zorro Fan Reviews (8)

• Liked the plot lines and acting

The only thing I see wrong with this show is that it is a bit outdated. Still, if you can look past that, it sure will be easy to get a kick out of it.
  • My All-Time TV Favorite

I've been a fan of this show since it first came out. I was a kid. I had to watch it again when it came out on DVD, and was not disappointed. It has not only held up beautifully for more than 50 years (has it really been that long?), but remains the best-loved TV show of my life. It was a jewel in Disney's crown, and gave us some unforgettable Disney characters to cherish. There have been plenty of Zorros, and a lot of them have been good, but Disney's magic touch gave us the best.
  • I simply love this show

Saying this is a classic is an understatement. It's a very strong emotional attachment I have to this show, hard to put into words. I think I was 7 the first time I watched it... now I'm 28 and I still try to catch the re runs everytime I can. Zorro had everything you need: an extremely handsome hero, sword fights, lots of comedy, tyrannical baddies, indians, pretty helpless women, pretty evil women... all of which made an awesome combo.

Sometimes I feel it's a bit overrated, but maybe that's only because not so many people have watched it. I adore this show and I highly recommend it.
  • Probably the best Zorro!

7.1
    "Zorro" was a character created in the image of others of the 19th century who had worn a disguise, played a dual role, championed justice for people against those who would deprive them of it or rob them through excessive taxes and deny them justice under courts. Johnston McCulley's character returned home in 1820, after attending a university in Spain, to find the land being ruled by a tyrannical commandante. Instead of committing suicide through a premature rebellion, Don Diego instead masquerades as a foppish coward by day--like the Scarlet Pimpernel--and by night becomes El Zorro, the black-clad fox. He is no altruist; his purpose is to steal back what the tyrant's soldiers have stolen, to save those condemned falsely and to instill a spirit of revolution against their oppressor in his people. McCulley apparently liked the television version much better than the film that had starred Tyrone Power; I too prefer it to that film as author and actor, and to the later versions. Producer Norman Foster and Walt Disney labored to make the production, albeit an adventure series, a quality offering, much as the British "Robin Hood" of Hannah Weinstein became a classic for the same reasons. As Diego de la Vega, Guy Williams, actually Hispanic, was a charismatic, attractive and capable "B" leading man in the role of a lifetime; he had the capability of playing comedy as well as drama and was made to seem a superb fencer. Henry Calvin played the slow-witted but practical Sergeant Garcia, Gene Sheldon was his mute servant and helper Bernardo, who also played the banjo. George J. Lewis, also Hispanic, was attractive as Don Alejandro, Diego's father; the part of Captain Monastario was played with some power by Britt Lomond; many other semi-regulars populated the series including Don Diamond, Jan Arvan, Jolene Brand, Nestor Paiva, Romney Brent, John Litel, Vinton Hayworth, Eduard Franz and Eugenia Paul. Others often seen in the series included regular guests Suzanne Lloyd Charles Korvin, Carlos Romero, Jay Novello and Michael Pate. Directors for the series included Charles Lamont, Harmon Jones, William Witney, John Meredyth Lucas, Norman Foster, Lewis R. Foster, Hollingsworth Morse, Charles Barton and Robert Stevenson. Among sixteen writers who contributed to the series' several; formats were Gene L. Coon, Roy Edward Disney, Anthony Ellis, Jackson Gillis, Lewis R. Foster, Norman Foster and N. B. Stone, Jr. George Avil supplied good B/W cinematography; Production Designer was Marvin Aubrey Davis aided by Set Decoratos Hal Gausman and Emile Kuri; Chuck Keehne supplied the attractive period costumes. Fred Cavens performed the vital job of fencing master. The theme song became as famous as the series did. This same show might have been done as drama; but as an adventure with sincerity, emotional honesty and good production values, it would be hard to better. The series appeared only from 1957 to 1959.
  • Great Show. I Can't wait for it to come to region 1 DVD.

I used to stay up way past my bedtime because this was on at 12:00 on vault Disney. My mother used to watch this show when she was younger and I am glad I got a chance too. The show was a little corny, but it was still nice. Guy Williams was the right person to portray Zorro/Diego and the story lines were good. It was funny that Diego pretended that he did not know sword fighting so people would not think that he was Zorro. I loved that Annette from the Mickey Mouse Club came on for some of the episodes. I enjoyed this show and if it ever comes to Region 1 DVD(it is on DVD in France already)I think people should buy or rent it.
  • Out of the night...

My Zorro! Along with Tyrone Power and Frank Langella this was Zorro to me. We even had Zorro iceblocks that I spent all my weeks pocket money on. My mother making me take them back! I had a Zorro had and sword. The sword oddly enough was a broadsword not a sabre for fencing... Is this the only place Zorro's horse was referred to as Toranado and not Tornado?
  • i miss this show. BRING IT BACK!!!

when it was on I watched it as mush as I could but now its gone. Zorro is still my hero even though he is not here with us. I boycott Disney until they bring it back. well not really but i like to say so. the show was clever and suspenseful. to this day I wonder why they canceled it.there was good actors and humours parts in the show.
  • Good, clean fun!

My family and I used to watch this show. I still love it because it's clean, funny, exciting, and lots of fun. Sargeant Garcia often makes me laugh or puts a big smile on my face. Whether fighting or outsmarting, Zorro stands up for what's right (though he does tell occasional lies to get out of a scrape). I love the tension between Don Diego and his father, as well as ladies (Rosarita in particular) who think Zorro is a hero but Diego is a spineless weakling. I have not watched all the episodes yet, so I hope in the future episodes I watch that Diego's father and maybe Rosarita (or a girl Zorro loves) will find out that Diego is Zorro.