Forums: Soaps: Soaps gone in 5 years?

Will all soaps be off the air in 5 years?

Zwingli4

[1]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 16

Lisa Rinna recently said that all daytime dramas will disappear in the next 5 years. Indeed soaps in the US are in dire straights. The ratings are way down, and they just cancelled "Guiding Light" which had been on radio and TV for 72 years. Some blame the decline of daytime drama on the fact that so many women are working days now. I think maybe the MTV generation don't have the patience for slowly paced and plotted shows like daytime drama. Indeed some directors claim they don't like to hire actors from daytime drama for primetime because they have the bad habit of speaking their dialogue too slowly and filling it with too many long pauses. For primetime you need to do more zippy dialogue. Anyway do you think soaps will disappear totally, or that they will plod on? Or even that they will make a comeback?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 63
    I doubt it. The fact of the matter is, nobody's home to watch soaps anymore, and whoever is watching TV at 1 in the afternoon has 300 other options.

By 2014, there will probably be three daytime serials left, one on each network. You figure out which ones will survive.

glassrose385

[3]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 6
    I don't think soaps will ever be completely gone but I agree with HelloStuart there only be a few soaps left on TV at some point. People that are home during the day are starting to watch other things. One of my friends is a nurse she works 4 pm to midnight. She used to watch Days and One Life to Live before she went to work but in the past couple of years she has gotten fed up with them and stopped watching. Now when she is home during the day she watches movies she gets from Netflix, reruns of old shows on cable and she usually runs errands before she goes to work. My aunt has been retired for 15 years she used to watch soaps but in the past few years she is watching something else or surfing the Internet. When I was in college a lot of my friends would come home after class and watch something on MTV, play video games or surf online.

Gotal_LCP

[4]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    I think some soaps will end soon but I don't think that all of them will be gone. Some people will still watch them. A couple of months ago somebody posted on one of my country's tv programme that "Y and R" should have more episodes/day because she was afraid her mother would die before the show would end.
    Edited on 04/28/2009 3:02pm

timgueguen

[5]May 8, 2009
    • level: 13
    It seems your friend doesn't quite get the concept of soaps, that they aren't supposed to have a definite end. If they do the show has failed.

moonlightenvy

[6]May 13, 2009
    • level: 10
    I think that the soaps will be gone, but what would replace them?

agent_0042

[7]May 23, 2009
    • level: 66
    Nothing is ever truly gone. Isn't there an entire cable/satellite channel called SoapNET dedicated to nothing but soap operas?

rondasexton

[8]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 11

If soaps' PTBs don't quit messing up the shows they will be gone. When long time and favorite characters are suddenly cut...then folks get mad.

Kelanthayet

[9]Jun 12, 2009
    • level: 5
    Well, I wouldn't mind that much, but I know my sis would. She's a soap opera fanatic.

Rebel-Man

[10]Jun 15, 2009
    The reason Guiding Light is leaving is because its literally dead last on the afternoon Soap ratings. Young and the Restless is first place and Bold and the Beautiful is still number 2 in the ratings.

Cassiopeia1986

[11]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 1
    No, I think they'll still be around in 5 years. But they may be gone in 10.

SuccessMotiv8

[12]Aug 29, 2009
    • level: 2
    The networks are already axing them and if the Head Writer and other writers don't stop being so badly asleep at the wheel then more cancelations are inevitable within 5 years. B&B fans often say on their forums that they've have had a gut full, number 2 show or not.

loverslost

[13]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 14

I don't think soaps will be gone, well at least not so soon, because even ratings for primetime shows have declined over the years. If you see the ratings for shows in the 90s (which ranged from 10-15 million), to nowadays (which range from 4-7 million), all shows in general have low ratings.

That being said, i DO think that the soap opera genre is dying a slow death, and soaps with the lowest ratings will eventually be axed. Passions was at the bottom and it got cancelled. After Passions, Guiding Light went to the bottom of the ratings, and now it is cancelled as well. I think soaps will still exist for the next 10-20 years, but they will probably move to another network, or be streamed online, if not cancelled one by one. But the soap genre won't end in 5 years...I'm guessing 20-30 years more

charmed_dude

[14]Nov 11, 2009
    • level: 2

The sad reality is that soaps are on the "endangered series" list because of a lot of things pointed out by some people here;

1. The low viewership numbers

2. The declining numbers of soap demographic viewers avaliable to watch these shows

3. The increase in competitive viewing with a million different channels and options during the day

4. The fact that soaps aren't correctly aiming at growing demographics avaliable

5. Viewers are becoming tired of the slow paced storylines etc.

6. Budget cuts for most soaps means axing casts, letting go of veterns and hiring terrible replacements

7. Soaps are expensive to produce; networks can schedule cheaper programming to replace this

I will admit from now until about 2012 we'll see less soaps getting renewed, if they do they will be for shorter renewal periods and come with big budget cuts - which I believe will ultimetly end the soapies, unless they can work around this and save the shows and pump in more viewers.

KingofIPirates

[15]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 32
    I'm thinking that Soaps will be gone in that time, unfortunately Reality tv has replaced them and the vast majority of it is not good.

Antique22

[16]Mar 7, 2010

In my opinion the reason why soap operas are losing their novelty is due to the fact that the writers and producers aren't making good storylines to fit the characters and also the fact that people simply are mostly busy with jobs or have kids to take care and they cannot catch up with soap operas that well. Take for instance my mother was a diehard fan of The Young And The Restless and she loved the storrylines that were created for each episode but as soon as Y&R changed head writers we quit watching The Young And The Restless and we forgot about it altogether. Another thing I have noticed about soap operas is that every time the networks have a successful soap opera with a huge fanbase they always end up getting cancelled with no reason whatsoever. For example NBC had great success with the soap opera Generations when it came out in 1989 and was a instant hit but as soon as NBC's coverage on the 1991 Gulf War was shown Generations was suddenly cancelled and the same thing happened with Aaron Spelling's Sunset Beach in 1998. I also can easily blame the launch of ABC's Soapnet for the downfall of soap operas. To me what would be a smart idea is that ABC NBC and CBS should put soap operas on DVD and put the more popular ones like Loving Another World and Santa Barbara and put the classic soap operas like Search For Tomorrow and Edge Of Night on DVD and it would be a real smart idea for people to catch up with their soap operas,

Tiki

Antique22

[17]Jan 8, 2011

Another soap opera that I forgot to mention that was also canceled but still got high ratings was ABC's The City and I can remember when The City debuted there was so many advertisements for it in every single Soap Opera Digest and when The City finally came out Mom and I gave it a try and it was a cool soap opera but as soon as The View made it's debut ABC canceled The City with no warning and then a year later ABC did the same thing to the General Hospital spinoff Port Charles and ever since the shocking cancelation of those two soaps ABC I think is the one that started this thing with canceling hit soaps starting with Loving and other networks such as NBC and CBS started to copy ABC's habit by doing the thing to their soaps. I think that also in a few years why soap operas will no longer be alive is that the networks are going to release them on DVD and it would be a wonderful and smart idea for people to watch their soaps,

Do you agree,

Tiki

HelloStuart

[18]Apr 20, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:
    I doubt it. The fact of the matter is, nobody's home to watch soaps anymore, and whoever is watching TV at 1 in the afternoon has 300 other options.

By 2014, there will probably be three daytime serials left, one on each network. You figure out which ones will survive.

Hey guys, remember what I said two years ago? Have you heard about AMC and OLTL by now? Told ya so.

HelloStuart

[19]Apr 20, 2011
    charmed_dude wrote:

The sad reality is that soaps are on the "endangered series" list because of a lot of things pointed out by some people here;

1. The low viewership numbers

2. The declining numbers of soap demographic viewers avaliable to watch these shows

3. The increase in competitive viewing with a million different channels and options during the day

4. The fact that soaps aren't correctly aiming at growing demographics avaliable

5. Viewers are becoming tired of the slow paced storylines etc.

6. Budget cuts for most soaps means axing casts, letting go of veterns and hiring terrible replacements

7. Soaps are expensive to produce; networks can schedule cheaper programming to replace this

I will admit from now until about 2012 we'll see less soaps getting renewed, if they do they will be for shorter renewal periods and come with big budget cuts - which I believe will ultimetly end the soapies, unless they can work around this and save the shows and pump in more viewers.

All valid points, Charmed; I couldn't say it better myself. I will add one further point: younger, fledging actors are scared off by the hectic shooting schedules of daytime serials, so the soaps can't hire the cream of the crop anymore.

Zwingli4

[20]May 7, 2011

So there have been 3 cancelations since I first posted this. Surprised The state of daytime drama prompts me to paraphrase what one theater owner said about the death of vaudeville. Soap operas are no longer a show business, they are a terminal disease.