Forums: Soaps: why do women like soaps so much?

larry_davis

[1]Jun 17, 2006
    • level: 4

and why don't they admit that they do watch them, and keep track of what goes on in each show?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puddlestomper

[2]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 17
    lol working with women and men @ an office, i've come to realize.. that women jus love drama. any type. their drama, other people's drama, fictional drama. we jus love drama. men tend to steer clear, and see some events non-dramatically. lol. (boring!) lol.

JazzyOne06

[3]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 16
    He's right we loooove the drama. I know I do. Also because they are interesting.

scooby_92

[4]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 11
    I am not sure why we like them, I started watching because my mom always did. And now I can't stop watching.

larry_davis

[5]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 4

JazzyOne06 wrote:
    He's right we loooove the drama. I know I do. Also because they are interesting.

maybe we are the same, i like watching COPS for the same reason. but alot girls don't because they don't want to see real life drama as it happens.

sjglas

[6]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think a woman likes soaps because the can run out of the reality. Soaps are most of the time realistic. You don't have to think of yourre own problems but you can see somebody else has also there problems..

Ppunkinseed

[7]Jun 21, 2006

Well you have to go back to when/why soaps originated. When women were basically stay at home Mom's and cooked, cleaned, tended the kids, etcetera, soaps were a way of escaping one's own day to day life via a fantasy life. Soaps have always tended to offer more drama, glamour, suspense, and so on, than real life. We all need that in some way or another.  A lot of girls watched them with their Moms or Grandmoms or Aunts and so on and the tradition was passed on.

For a long time men did not like to admit to watching them but that has changed over the years. On a lot of college campuses, students arrange their schedules around them then gather in a mutual place and view them together.

I remember when I was in elementary school and my brother and I would come home for lunch and Mom would have them on. Then when we came back home for the second half of the day, they'd still be on. ...

torlight

[8]Jun 24, 2006
    • level: 13

We love the drama, so true!!!

But we would have another type of drama at the same hour, we would watch it.  The thing in favour of soaps is that if you miss 10 minutes doing something else, or even an episode, it doesn't matter!!!

Hey, some of us women do not admit to watch soap! And men also watch soaps, they just won't admit it!!!

Edited on 06/24/2006 3:18am

Kon-Kai

[9]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    OH Please Men watch Drama Too! I think it has to do with being idle and in need of a little "brain" exercise! My dad went on vacation from work the other week and I was SHOCKED to find him home watching Bold and Beautiful and telling me "That Stephanie needs to butt out!"

After watching soaps you get absorbed and begin refering to the characters as though they are real people you know.

RedsnGreens

[10]Jul 5, 2006

have you seen the men (mostly the younger ones) on these soap operas?  

archangelcory16

[11]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 32
    Well I'm a guy, and let me just say that I hate daytime soap operas, I used to have to watch them with my grandmother when I was younger (no cable), and I thought that they were stupid. But I do enjoy some primetime soaps, such as Desperate Housewives.

And actually, most guys DO watch soap operas and don't realize it.

A definition from Wikipedia:
    :
    A soap opera is an ongoing, episodic work of fiction, usually broadcast on television or radio. This genre of TV and radio entertainment has existed long enough for audiences to recognize them simply by the term soap. What differentiates a soap from other television drama programs is their open-ended nature. Plots run concurrently, intersect, and lead into further developments.

So Lost, Alias, etc. can all be loosely defined as soaps.

torlight

[12]Jul 23, 2006
    • level: 13

There goes the myth that those shows are action dramas!!! Macho men and gals, watch out!!

Anyway, I agree with your point, especially with the love stories and betrayals, those also are key ingredients in daytime soaps.

archangelcory16 wrote:
    Well I'm a guy, and let me just say that I hate daytime soap operas, I used to have to watch them with my grandmother when I was younger (no cable), and I thought that they were stupid. But I do enjoy some primetime soaps, such as Desperate Housewives. And actually, most guys DO watch soap operas and don't realize it. A definition from Wikipedia:

A soap opera is an ongoing, episodic work of fiction, usually broadcast on television or radio. This genre of TV and radio entertainment has existed long enough for audiences to recognize them simply by the term soap. What differentiates a soap from other television drama programs is their open-ended nature. Plots run concurrently, intersect, and lead into further developments.

So Lost, Alias, etc. can all be loosely defined as soaps.

Lostlover23

[13]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 34
    We enjoy the crazyness of the soaps and find parts of our own lives on tv.

cargogirl1

[14]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 1

Women don't they watch soaps and keep tracks of everything that goes on because they love the excitement of the soap. Most women don't tell people they watch soaps because their afraid that people will criticize them because they feel soaps are overally dramatic and a waste of time.

Aimzies

[15]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    Women don't love soaps They just have to find something to watch whilst doing the housework because men refuse to do it