Forums: Sports: 2008 Major League Baseball

MajLorne

[121]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 21

Your AL choices I agree with. The NL, I have to say it'll be Arizona for NL West and the WC could be a toss up between the Rockies and Phillies and maybe a slim chance for the Padres [who came so close only to lose that last game of the season for that one game playoff against the Rockies].

The Indians have no shot in keeping Sabathia after this year and since he'll be a free agent, I'm saying it'll be a very good chance the Yanks will pay him Santana $ as Boston probably won't try to outbid them unless someone in their rotation is gone [they already overpaid for Dice K and will likely have to give Beckett a raise eventually].

Edited on 03/01/2008 12:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mp34mp

[122]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 16
    Another subject: Should the Cubs give up naming rights to Wrigley Field?

I'm not a Cubs fan at all, nor do I like Wrigley Field at all. Tho there's been some buzz that the fans are outraged at the idea of some corporation slapping its name on the stadium. The Mets recently got CitiBank to call their new '09 Stadium 'Citi Field' for $20 million a season for 20 years. Are Cubs fans too attached to a name? Some people are suggesting that 'being business smart about something isn't always the best idea'. If I was a company, I wouldn't do it.

bouges13

[123]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 19

mp34mp wrote:
    Another subject: Should the Cubs give up naming rights to Wrigley Field? I'm not a Cubs fan at all, nor do I like Wrigley Field at all. Tho there's been some buzz that the fans are outraged at the idea of some corporation slapping its name on the stadium. The Mets recently got CitiBank to call their new '09 Stadium 'Citi Field' for $20 million a season for 20 years. Are Cubs fans too attached to a name? Some people are suggesting that 'being business smart about something isn't always the best idea'. If I was a company, I wouldn't do it.

I hate the fact that corporations are taking over the names of fields. In Seattle, having Safeco Field and Qwest Field is only good because they are very nice facilities, but I think it is somewhat of a bad thing that they have no real tradition or legacy other than a rich corporation putting up millions of dollars to build them.

Then again, it is certainly something I can live with because I don't want to pay more in taxes if I don't have to. However, being a sports fan, and being that the taxes are not really that high, I would rather pay the extra money to maintain a real tradition in the sport over the free enterprise, corporate blackmailing that is currently going on - but most (all?) non-sports fan don't care, and have no desire to pay extra taxes for something that they could care less about.

HelloStuart

[124]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 63
    mp34mp wrote:
    Another subject: Should the Cubs give up naming rights to Wrigley Field?

I'm not a Cubs fan at all, nor do I like Wrigley Field at all. Tho there's been some buzz that the fans are outraged at the idea of some corporation slapping its name on the stadium. The Mets recently got CitiBank to call their new '09 Stadium 'Citi Field' for $20 million a season for 20 years. Are Cubs fans too attached to a name? Some people are suggesting that 'being business smart about something isn't always the best idea'. If I was a company, I wouldn't do it.

I'm no Cubs fan either, nor could I care less about Wrigley, but if you have a million-plus people that want to keep a tradition going, I'm not going to stop them.

Finalsequel

[125]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 30
    I am one of those outraged Cub fans. This is a dumb move on Sam Zell's part. You don't throw away so many years of baseball tradition and history. Hopefully, whoever loses out on buying the Cubs will buy the naming rights and keep it Wrigley Field.

bouges13

[126]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 19

Finalsequel wrote:
    I am one of those outraged Cub fans. This is a dumb move on Sam Zell's part. You don't throw away so many years of baseball tradition and history. Hopefully, whoever loses out on buying the Cubs will buy the naming rights and keep it Wrigley Field.

Is it wrong that I thought that field was named after Wrigley... you know, the spearmint gum?

FlyingHellfish

[127]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 53
    Cubs fans will get over it if Wrigley gets a name change, they just gotta win a World Series. Just ask the south siders. Think they still cared about the fact that it wasn't Comiskey anymore when they won the Series in 2005?

As for the actual naming of Wrigley, it changed from Cubs Park to Wrigley Field in 1926 in honor of the team's then-current owner, William Wrigley Jr, who also owned Wrigley chewing gum.
    Edited on 03/03/2008 2:25pm

HelloStuart

[128]Mar 3, 2008
    FlyingHellfish wrote:
    Cubs fans will get over it if Wrigley gets a name change, they just gotta win a World Series. Just ask the south siders. Think they still cared about the fact that it wasn't Comiskey anymore when they won the Series in 2005?

As for the actual naming of Wrigley, it changed from Cubs Park to Wrigley Field in 1926 in honor of the team's then-current owner, William Wrigley Jr, who also owned Wrigley chewing gum.

The Wrigley family owned the Cubs until 1981, when they sold the franchise to the Tribune Company.

mp34mp

[129]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 16
    FlyingHellfish wrote:

No we didn't. Well, not so much when it happened in 2003. The name Comiskey didn't exactly warm a lot of South Side hearts, but it was tradition. But since it was on a new building, it didn't really matter so much. And all of that $67 million went towards improving the ballpark, which I like a lot. People can complain about the upper deck all they want, but those seats suck no matter where (and it's way too loud) so lower level seats are always the way to go. The thing that always bothered me about the place was those old blue seats & symmetrical outfield wall (due to owner Reinsdorf's fanism of the Brooklyn Dodgers). Also, it depends on what generation Sox fan you are on what you call the home to the team: Comiskey, Sox Park, New Comiskey, U.S. Cellular Field, The Cell. But I much prefer naming stadiums after either the mascot, city, owner or past star player.

MajLorne

[130]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 21

mp34mp wrote:
    Another subject: Should the Cubs give up naming rights to Wrigley Field? I'm not a Cubs fan at all, nor do I like Wrigley Field at all. Tho there's been some buzz that the fans are outraged at the idea of some corporation slapping its name on the stadium. The Mets recently got CitiBank to call their new '09 Stadium 'Citi Field' for $20 million a season for 20 years. Are Cubs fans too attached to a name? Some people are suggesting that 'being business smart about something isn't always the best idea'. If I was a company, I wouldn't do it.
    Yeah from an owner's standpoint it makes sense to sell naming rights to get all the $ they can get. But the Cubs franchise goes way back. For example there is no way they will ever drop "Yankees Stadium" for say "Nextel Park" or something. Things are just what they are and people are resistant to change. Anything other than "Fenway Park" in Boston would also be weird.

So unless the Cubs were getting a brand new park, the current one is likely not going to get a name change as the fans won't approve of it and alienating them would be a bigger loss than making a few mil per year for naming rights.

Edited on 03/03/2008 4:28pm

HelloStuart

[131]Mar 3, 2008
    MajLorne wrote:

So unless the Cubs were getting a brand new park, the current one is likely not going to get a name change as the fans won't approve of it and alienating them would be a bigger loss than making a few mil per year for naming rights.

Maybe they can come up with a similar name, like "Fruit Stripe Field."

Edited on 03/03/2008 9:03pm

123home123

[132]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 55
    Nearly the entire Mets starting lineup is injured right now, some more seriously than others. Some problems could be the traditional "veterans-in-spring-training syndrome" but a couple seem to be serious. Moises Alou is almost 42 and he may be undergoing surgery soon. Carlos Delgado has a lingering hip injury. Carlos Beltran had surgery on both knees last fall. They picked up Johan Santana but will Pedro Martinez be around to contribute this season?

Shawn Hill, the purported ace of the Nats' pitching staff, is experiencing pain in his right forearm again. Who knows whether he'll be ready to go on Opening Day. He's had injury problems throughout his career. When he's healthy, he can be a very effective pitcher. He had a 3.42 ERA as a starter last season in 16 starts.

The Nats have a more usual look to their training camp than they did last year when they brought in almost any castoff who had major league pitching experience to try to cobble together a staff. They are still taking a bit of a risk by depending on Hill, John Patterson and Jason Bergmann as their top three pitchers. All of them can be very effective but all of them have proven to be fragile in recent years. It would be surprising to see all three of them last the entire season without at least one stint on the DL. The team has the potential to be better than they were last year. The new ballpark will change things too. It should be more hitter-friendly than RFK Stadium was. I'm hoping that the Nats can be an above .500 team this year. A playoff spot might be a stretch but there's no point in giving up now before any games have actually been played. You never know if the Mets will choke again in September like they did last year.

123home123

[133]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 55
    It's now official -- the Nats are now in the running for a World Series title. Oddsmakers give them a 200-to-1 chance at winning it all this year, which puts them in dead last among all Major League teams.

It's probably asking a bit much to see a playoff appearance this year but they did finish ahead of Florida in the NL East last season, and about six other teams. Their pitching rotation is still dependent on some awfully unreliable arms but I don't think they are the worst team in baseball. (Hopefully I don't end up being wrong about this.)

HelloStuart

[134]Mar 14, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    It's now official -- the Nats are now in the running for a World Series title. Oddsmakers give them a 200-to-1 chance at winning it all this year, which puts them in dead last among all Major League teams.

It's probably asking a bit much to see a playoff appearance this year but they did finish ahead of Florida in the NL East last season, and about six other teams. Their pitching rotation is still dependent on some awfully unreliable arms but I don't think they are the worst team in baseball. (Hopefully I don't end up being wrong about this.)

The Ex-Expos are not the worst team in baseball; odds are, it'll probably be Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

BTW, the Royals' odds are 175:1.

Finalsequel

[135]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 30

HelloStuart wrote:
    123home123 wrote:
    It's now official -- the Nats are now in the running for a World Series title. Oddsmakers give them a 200-to-1 chance at winning it all this year, which puts them in dead last among all Major League teams. It's probably asking a bit much to see a playoff appearance this year but they did finish ahead of Florida in the NL East last season, and about six other teams. Their pitching rotation is still dependent on some awfully unreliable arms but I don't think they are the worst team in baseball. (Hopefully I don't end up being wrong about this.)
    The Ex-Expos are not the worst team in baseball; odds are, it'll probably be Baltimore or Pittsburgh. BTW, the Royals' odds are 175:1.

Baltimore is definately the worst team in baseball.

Where are you guys getting the odds from? I am using the odds posted on Yahoo! and they have the Nationals, Royals, and Pirates all at 200/1 odds of winning the World Series. The Cubs are 7th overall with 12/1 odds.

Edited on 03/14/2008 11:58am

HelloStuart

[136]Mar 14, 2008

Finalsequel wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    123home123 wrote:
    It's now official -- the Nats are now in the running for a World Series title. Oddsmakers give them a 200-to-1 chance at winning it all this year, which puts them in dead last among all Major League teams. It's probably asking a bit much to see a playoff appearance this year but they did finish ahead of Florida in the NL East last season, and about six other teams. Their pitching rotation is still dependent on some awfully unreliable arms but I don't think they are the worst team in baseball. (Hopefully I don't end up being wrong about this.)

The Ex-Expos are not the worst team in baseball; odds are, it'll probably be Baltimore or Pittsburgh. BTW, the Royals' odds are 175:1.

Baltimore is definitely the worst team in baseball.

Where are you guys getting the odds from? I am using the odds posted on Yahoo! and they have the Nationals, Royals, and Pirates all at 200/1 odds of winning the World Series. The Cubs are 7th overall with 12/1 odds.

I got mine from the Chicago Sun-Times.

I can see where they might think the North Siders are a dark horse favorite to win the World Series, but I think Milwaukee has a better shot. The Cubs always find a way to trip on themselves, especially after Labor Day.

Edited on 03/14/2008 2:18pm

tvfanatic91

[137]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 44
    Well Byung Yung Kim (He doesn't deserve to have his name selled right) looks like a bum contract. He pitched for an inning or so agaisnt the Yankees blew the save and thank to bad relief pitching for the Yankees he got the win. I know it is the preseason but if I was getting payed to play a game I loved I would try 100% every chance I get.

HelloStuart

[138]Mar 14, 2008
    tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well Byung Yung Kim (He doesn't deserve to have his name selled right) looks like a bum contract. He pitched for an inning or so agaisnt the Yankees blew the save and thank to bad relief pitching for the Yankees he got the win. I know it is the preseason but if I was getting payed to play a game I loved I would try 100% every chance I get.

However bad Kim is, at least he's not Curt Schilling. Bloody Sock is gonna make $8 million this year sitting on the Bosox bench. He made a mistake to come back for one more year, especially with his recent history of injuries.

dkyuubi

[139]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 31
    Since this is a MLB 2008 topic. I would like to say I looking forward tow watching my Minnesota Twins this season. Even though they lost their ace Johan Santana and star outfielder for the past 7 years Torii Hunter. I think they won't have a horrible season. They won't win the central or wild card.
    I'm just excited to watch all these young players the Twins have. EX. Delmon Young,Carlos Gomez,Francisco Lariano,Kevin Slowey.

HelloStuart

[140]Mar 15, 2008
    dkyuubi wrote:
    Since this is a MLB 2008 topic. I would like to say I looking forward tow watching my Minnesota Twins this season. Even though they lost their ace Johan Santana and star outfielder for the past 7 years Torii Hunter. I think they won't have a horrible season. They won't win the central or wild card.
    I'm just excited to watch all these young players the Twins have. EX. Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, Francisco Liriano, Kevin Slowey.

If Liriano's up to scratch, the Twinkies will finish third in the Central. If he falters, KC will probably finish third. To me, this is the Tigers' division to lose.